Why Kim Davis Is Important

Discussion in 'People' started by Aerianne, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Kim Davis, as a personality, may have been just a flash in the pan but the thinking and beliefs (agenda even) that drove her actions is not something to be taken lightly.

Her emails, from days before she was arrested, reveal that she was in a state of chaotic delusion fueled by religious fervor. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/kim-davis-soldier-christ?utm_content=bufferc4ea5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

What she fought so hard for was to push religious agenda into/over secular law.

There has been an agenda to do this since the 1970's. That's when conservative Protestants became politically active.

"Evangelical scholar Lynn Buzzard wrote (the agenda), was to “reject the division of human affairs into the secular and the sacred and insist, instead, that there is no arena of human activity, including law and politics, which is outside of God’s lordship.
    Bobby Jindal has openly used the power and prestige of his office to preach Dominionism. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-montgomery/the-real-problems-with-bo_b_6550822.html

Ted Cruz has deep Dominionist ties. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/morgan-guyton/the-theology-of-governmen_b_4020537.html

Mike Huckabee has ties to the Dominionists. He co-authored a book with George Grant who is a millitant Christian Reconstructionist. http://www.religiousrightwatch.com/2008/01/exposing-huckab.html

George Grant spells out the agenda:

“Christians have an obligation, a mandate, a commission, a holy responsibility to reclaim the land for Jesus Christ-to have dominion in the civil structures, just as in every other aspect of life and godliness.
    But it is dominion that we are after. Not just a voice.
    It is dominion we are after. Not just influence.
    It is dominion we are after. Not just equal time.
    It is dominion we are after.
    "World conquest. That’s what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish. We must win the world with the power of the Gospel. And we must never settle for anything less.
    If Jesus Christ is indeed Lord, as the Bible says, and if our commission is to bring the land into subjection to His Lordship, as the Bible says, then all our activities, all our witnessing, all our preaching, all our craftsmanship, all our stewardship, and all our political action will aim at nothing short of that sacred purpose.
    Thus, Christian politics has as its primary intent the conquest of the land – of men, families, institutions, bureaucracies, courts, and governments for the Kingdom of Christ. It is to reinstitute the authority of God’s Word as supreme over all judgments, over all legislation, over all declarations, constitutions, and confederations.http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/02/1096273/-Why-We-Fight-Christian-Dominionists-Are-Dead-Serious-About-Overthrowing-Democracy#

Does Kim Davis have ties with Domionists and Reconstructionists? She and her attorneys are of the same ilk.

Let's not fluff this Kim Davis off. She's testing the waters for the rest of them.
    There's a video of her. I think she's really twisted and a puppet/tool.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/02/1096273/-Why-We-Fight-Christian-Dominionists-Are-Dead-Serious-About-Overthrowing-Democracy#

4 people like this.
  2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Now it makes more sense how Kim had the "ability" to remain in the spotlight as long as she did.

It is interesting to me that these Domionists pick and choose what they follow in the bible, AND that there are well known politicians that are putting themselves above the very law they claim to want to be a part of/enforce.

Yeah, in my mind these people, the Dominionists, aren't following the bible any more than an atheist.

3. Aerianne

They are incredibly scary people if you read alot about them; and I mean scary in the sense that their thinking is so deranged and they have alot of people believing their way is the right way.

1 person likes this.
  4. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

We are living in some scary times right now and its going to get worse. Just keeping a republican out of the white house won't turn us around. These people have infiltrated governing bodies at every level... Every level.

3 people like this.
  5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The politically active wing of the Evangelical movement doesn't have a lot of formal structure, and hasn't since the death of Jerry Falwell. James Dobson tried to step up, as did Gary Bauer of the Family Research Council, without much success. They also get significant political support from Pentecostals (Charismatics). Trying to hang onto their tax-exempt status, Evangelical and Pentecostal preachers usually spend their time explaining to followers why every word, thought, and action in life should be made to conform to standard American right wing Christian teaching, and leave it to listeners to extend this concept to politics. This pattern can be clearly seen in the preaching of Billy Graham, John MacArthur, and Jim Bakker. Their followers tend to listen to the same lecture shows on FM radio and read the same books from the same authors, displayed near the front of your local Christian bookstore. They are unified in their thinking, but without a single dominant leader.

In places where I grew up, you could find thousands of people who would say they support Kim Davis' actions and attitudes, even though most of them would not be familiar with the terms Dominionist and Reconstructionist. If you described it as discipleship, you would get a more positive response. Due to social pressure in political red zones, this toxic way of thinking is growing.

Everything you posted is accurate about their belief that their way of life is to be forced on everyone, regardless of our beliefs, because they have been given superior wisdom and a moral obligation to take away our freedom of choice. They don't seem to notice that Jesus constantly called on people to follow him voluntarily, throughout the time of his ministry.

2 people like this.
  6. Aerianne

And, damn it, doesn't that sound alot like Sharia Law?

Hmmm...

3 people like this.
  7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

without reading the first post i'd have no idea what religion or ideology you are saying that about

it kind of fits them all

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Exactly. Same shit, different book.

It's hard to fight this. If you live in the middle of nowhere, have limited education, limited intelligence, little chance for improving your life which isn't much more than basic survival, fundamentalism may seem like your only chance at experiencing the feeling of having a life that has profound significance. People like that feeling. A hardcore church can be a warm place, if you play along.

Zen helps me accept the fact that my life isn't of any great significance, and it's okay for me to not be trying hard to change that. Maybe that's the best antidote to religious manipulation. Peace without dishonesty.

9. Sailorgrl

Sailorgrl Members

You could have been writing this line about where I live in every sense of the word. There are even places around here where there are laws literally still on the books about black people not being allowed to live within city limits. It's pathetic. But I can give you a ray of hope. Things are slowly changing. You now only see this level of hatred in the older generations here. My grandfather and his children were extremely intolerant of differences (race, sexual orientation, etc.) my generation (thirty-somethings now) was far more tolerant but somewhat hesitant-it's not that we hated the differences but more like we weren't brave enough to argue the point with our older family members. I see a completely different set of values in my kids generation that is very encouraging. I tried very hard to never say a word that even smacked of intolerance, but boy if I slip up ever so slightly I really get a talking to from my daughter and her friends are all the same way. That gives me hope for the future of the country. If small town America can get wiser, there is still hope for the future. And it's not that these people aren't capable of deep intelligence, it's more about a lack of push or drive from families to get children to excel at school and go on with their education. A farmer is not going to push his sons to go to college, he's going to push them into taking over the farm when he retires. Know what I mean? I know plenty of people who left here and did great things with their lives. They weren't stupid, it's just that a lot are really misguided from birth. Some people wallow in the life they were born into because it's all they know and are comfortable with, while others strive to rise above it.

10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I only lived in towns like that when I had to live wherever my parents chose. Nobody from a place like that who gets a 4-year degree ever wants to go back, which is why they had to fill all their better jobs with outsiders, back when the manufacturing plants were still around. Kids like me would hang out with the other transplant kids and whine about being forced to grow up in the middle of nowhere. That little social group went to the only liberal church in town. It was mostly a social club. Probably half its members weren't even Christians; they just accepted that they had to join somewhere and halfway play along.

I went through a curious phase years ago when I visited all kinds of odd churches and other religious organizations, starting with a wedding and a funeral. I just wanted to see everything for myself. I'm really good at keeping a stoic face when all kinds of craziness is going on around me, so nobody at these places had a clue what I was thinking. I would sit quietly in the back while people were speaking in tongues, running up and down the aisle screaming, doing the standard "slain in the spirit" faith healing gig, you name it, I've seen it. Well... I drew the line at snakes. I watched a sidewalk snake handler from my car, with the window up. I learned all the emotionally manipulative tricks, and all the insider terminology. These pastors are master manipulators, and of course give credit for all the emotions people feel to the actions of the Holy Spirit, putting themselves above questioning or criticism. They all know that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin, so strong emotion absolutely has to be accepted as proof of God's approval of their teaching. Quite convenient, don't you think?

Today's kids have the internet; well, at least most of them do, so they have some hint that the world is full of perspectives that are different from what they see at church. Maybe that will help, in the long run. Isolation is the enemy of enlightenment. Isolated groups often have no idea how far they have all drifted from rational behavior.

The weirdest place I ever went during my explorations was Jim Bakker's old PTL cult complex south of Charlotte, NC. Thousands drove down there every December to look at the Christmas lights; biggest display in the state. I came back once in the daytime and got to know the place a little better. I've never in my life seen so many people so far out of touch with reality in one place. They were really nice, so it wasn't scary, but there was still an unexplainable creepiness to it, and a strong vibe of total absurdity. And so much wasted money!

1 person likes this.
  11. Aerianne

I completely agree with that whole post, Karen.

12. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Some Christians take their idea of Jesus too seriously. They proclaim they are doing their job as a Christian by acting like Kim Davis did, using scripture to justify their actions. Missing that if they really paid attention to the scriptures in the Holy Bible, it says nothing like they profess.

Matthew 6:1 – "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Matthew 6:2 – "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Matthew 6:5 – "When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get.

Matthew 6:16 – "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Matthew 23:5 – "Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long;

Mark 11:25 – And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

And that is only a few scriptures.

I really do not have any respect for Kim Davis because she has taken an issue and blown it so totally out of proportion that it’s pathetic. She is giving Christianity a bad name. But that’s ok. It gave her those precious 5-10 minutes in the news.

Now on to living the rest of our lives, that she has zero effect on....

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

14. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Thank you, thank you. I appreciate that award, VG. It shows my true greatness. Thank you!
    (hugs)

15. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow what an informative thread! These types do not exist around here. I exhibit a coastal conceit about "flyover country" and preacher buffoons. Thank you for posting.

1 person likes this.
  16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I hate it when liberal Christians say, "I disagree with people like Kim Davis, but I respect their courage and dedication." Why would you respect somebody who is known primarily for being wrong about important things?

When small town Southerners get good educations and move to bigger urban areas where there are more good jobs, they often join liberal churches, and do little more than pay lip service to Christianity. They have large Bibles on their coffee tables, which are just for show. Nobody ever picks them up and reads them. They often fake sympathy for fundamentalists, but they don't mean it. Rarely will they have the courage to say that the Evangelicals are just plain wrong about something important. They try to avoid controversy.

Those of us who live in the South in and around the larger cities (150,000+) have our own concept of flyover country. It's the small towns we only see when we stop for gas or lunch during a long road trip, or when visiting an elderly relative. We look around and think, "Who the hell would want to live here?" Some of them could live in better places and commute to their jobs, but they like the redneck culture.

However, to find truly outspoken liberals in those larger towns, you usually have to find the arts district, or university, or some other place where creative individuals and/or gay people congregate. In those places, you will hear the same criticisms of the religious far right that you would find in New York City.

1 person likes this.
  17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Kim Davis , that spirited Kentucky nag , she bucked and kicked then carried
    on grazing that stained-glass bluegrass . Cowboy up .

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The women got what she wanted. She is now the victim who will have all sorts of financial support. I think this is why she was ok with going to jail. Do a few days and be a hero. She's smarter then people think. I see a lot of the "Christian" types just using it as an excuse to be an awful person. And they continue to be an awful person because they judge everyone as being less then them. They only turn to god because everyone else is sick of their shit. She has a few kids and does the wild thing. But it's ok she is a better person now who gets to judge you. You don't have to be an ass to be born again or whatever you want to call it but many of them are.

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Would things be better if she would be more articulate ? ' The Bible tells me so ' is what Xtians say among themselves . I
    don't know if she has words for anyone else . Perhaps ... if the two of you could meet at the coffee shop in Morehead . I've
    been there ; it's pleasant and artsy .

Otherwise , she is not important .

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That would be Chuck Colson. Turd in a suit and tie. Doesn't make the message any better.

1 person likes this.