What If We Can Never Travel Faster Than Light?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by relaxxx, Oct 28, 2015.

1. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Perhaps it would fold in on itself, essentially collapsing.

Maybe trying to manipulate space time to unnaturally bend, is not a well thought out idea. :D

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The key to traveling faster than the speed of light is easy.

Just stop time. then everything will splat into the nearest object at faster than the speed of light.

Simple... But not necessarily convenient.

3. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Unless you are an electrically charged Electron. Then the ability to be at two places or at the least, reappear in another place is absolutely possible.

We are made of E-: so could it theoretically be possible to somehow manipulate our own E- to essentially 'disappear and then reappear', without recreating a copy of ourselves as through teleportation?

Added to that is an idea that there is no breakdown and manifestation of our molecular self; this in turn removes the plausibility of our rearrangement into something not our selves, to which I mean subtle changes like eye color.

Of course this could only happen without the E- being measured at the time.

4. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

How do you stop what you cannot pinpoint to an actual beginning as to the fact if it is real or just a concept turned into reality?

I guess you can look at how time became a realization. Was it when they realized that the Sun rises and sets at a particular schedule? Of course only when they realized they weren't going to die when the Sun went down. lol

Or when they realized the Earth moves in accordance to the other celestial bodies?

Like Mathematics, it started out as a concept and then evolved to what we know and understand today. Is that what time is, a concept?

We can do little things to slow or speed up time in our day, so how could something that could possibly be imaginative, be stopped?

5. Tyrsonswood

So, you're saying the speed of light is based on a concept...

6. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Light speed is instantaneous. We cannot see 'real time'. It takes time for 'light illumination' to be picked up by our eyes, so yes a concept because our 'eye time' is slower then 'real time'. We are seeing what has already happened in the cosmic realm.

I suppose you could look at that and say "well it can't be a concept then because you are basing the idea of concept on something that has happened, so it cannot be a concept. If something has happened already, then it is real/provable and Time in turn, has to be real."

I guess it has to do with our own interpretation of why we are here or how we came to be as to whether it is a concept or 'real'.

7. Tyrsonswood

Speed of light is 299792458 meters per second... Seconds is a measurement of time but time is just a "concept" ....

So in reality none of this exists.

1 person likes this.
  8. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

lol

Ty, it is just fascinatingly mind boggling just thinking about it.

Who really knows any of this; it is more philosophical then anything but it expands the mind into realms it does not understand and that, can't be bad....... :dizzy2:

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That is an interesting paradox, although I think time is more than just a "concept".

It seems really difficult to maintain the idea of time as solely concept when you include the process of the formation of an eye being able to pick up the 'light illumination' and all that it entails . I understand time as illusory when we're talking about clocks or a 24 hour day and what not, but there is an experience of time that is invariably as real as anything and we are completely intertwined with.

1 person likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Something can be both a concept AND be a very real thing. Seems evident when we talk about time. Even if we would get out of this time space thing (hypothetically speaking) it would still not stop to exist. Just because we don't know everything about time yet, doesn't mean time is nothing more than a concept.

11. Bud D

Bud D Member

What is a worm hole?

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Going into a wormhole has always seemed deadly to me. Why people find it plausible you come out in another place in one piece is beyond me.

13. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

It's a hole through space and time to another part of space and time. Only thing is, it takes extremely massive amounts of energy to work, but it is possible according to Einstein's theory. Einstein-Rosen bridge is a good place to start your own research.

14. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

I wouldn't say we would end up in pieces but where we end up would be my concern. I agree, wormholes should be left with the namesake.

That and the fact that the wormhole would more than likely collapse in on itself; which would leave us in a state of singularity.

15. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

The problem with fantastic speeds is navigation. The universe is moving. I doubt there's any safe speed for traveling through a star. Before humans could attempt light speed travel, several drone ships would need to be sent ahead to verify the path. It would probably take years to build up to light speed, so stopping for fuel is not likely to be an option. I also think that people who hope to travel at light speed will need to be frozen before they can be accelerated. It's all such a mess.

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

According to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, the only thing that travels faster than light is bad news. :)

2 people like this.
  17. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

lol

Now it seems they have found that some light particles can actually travel faster than light speed and concurrently backwards as well.

Man has got to open his mind to the notion that we and to quote Schultz from Hogans Heros, "know nothing".

Edit: forgot reference.
    http://www.livescience.com/54467-light-trick-proves-time-reversal.html

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

a hypothetical space phenomena. No wormholes have been actually found and confirmed. We observe various anomalies that suggest such a thing may exist, but by definition we can never actually see or experience a worm hole.

LOL, No it isn't, that is one hypothesis of what they may be if they exist

again the existence of wormholes is not yet confirmed as fact. We see weird shit we think might maybe be what we would see if our math and assumptions are correct, but we still ain't actually found any holes for certain.
    found a few things that might be, but ????

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yeah, don't forget the whole friggin show is sailing through space at a pretty good clip.
    we have NEVER been in the exact same spot/space twice EVER and we NEVER will be.

20. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Which is why time travel is not possible on the surface of a planet. If at all. And the further from parity you attempted to go, the better the chances for miscalculation and arriving inside solid rock. I wonder how many years one could travel before earth was too far away? Popping up on the opposite side of the sun would be really bad. Unless, of course, there's a parallel, but opposite earth on the other side. Where everything evolved at the same time, but as a mirror image. Everything is the opposite, except for voltage. Positive is still positive and negative is still negative. The Doppelganger was wired backward, unintentionally.