What If We Can Never Travel Faster Than Light?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by relaxxx, Oct 28, 2015.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I still want to know how oxygen would be available traveling through space. (I'm a roofer--please excuse the dumb question.) I've heard of oxygen generators, but still---oxygen provided for years of space travel? How?

2. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Traveling at the speed of light would not take years....folding space/time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmPDOq2WfA

https://www.google.com/search?q=folding+space+time&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEcQsARqFQoTCM3hlOXb6sgCFYV1PgodQTIJvQ&biw=1007&bih=623

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

By making stops for adding oxygen if possible and otherwise for water to make oxygen in said generators :p But the easiest option would probably a crew in some kind of stasis.

4. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

5. Pokemaster

Pokemaster Members

What if we find a way to to creat warmhold to travel far distances instead of going FTL.

6. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

thats it you got it man.... its as simple as that.... I'm tired of hearing useless, empty theories. We aren't even close enough in our evolution to have these thoughts yet. Its a waste of my brain time.

7. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

my old gf had a warmhold on my cock and we traveled through many distances of our minds

3 people like this.
  8. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

One other method of travelling faster than light.
    Or rather, essentially faster than light.

If we had a spaceship capable of speeds nearing FTL and went against the flow of the galaxy while travelling to another solar system, we could end up with a travel time equal to having gone faster than light.

But yup, those are about it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

Can I be in your capsule? I'll bring the mind altering things.... I will share for sure... till we reach the other side

1 person likes this.
  10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

It seems that you can't truly travel faster than the speed of light because of general relativity, but theoretically you can warp space itself.

Disclaimer: I may have no clue what I'm talking about here (no physics degree), but the speed of light, the constant C is the speed of light in a vacuum (i.e the vacuum of space). Now from what I understand about physics, the "vacuum" isn't exactly empty at all, but contains a lot of energy. The speed of light actually changes when it encounters an interface between materials of differing density, this is what causes refraction and makes things like optical lenses possible (light travels slower through glass than through air, and also some very crazy physics happens at the interface of materials in regards to optics). So, *maybe* if you could somehow, "reduce the density of the vacuum of space", then light could travel at a higher speed through the now even lower density medium, i.e. the maximum speed limit has been raised.

11. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Mind altering things?
    Hell, given the right kind, we can just sit on a couch and pretend we're going faster than light!

Or that we ARE light.

Or that we shift from one planet to another.

Or... that we're just watching some really cool shit happening on the ceiling. :D

12. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

If we could travel at the speed of light; theoretically doesn't time stop. In other words, would traveling at the speed of light technically put us at a standstill? If so then traveling at the speed of light is not an option but a few mps (meters per second) slower would be adequate.

Essentially bending space time would be the solution.

3 people like this.
  13. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hmm, good point.
    That could get really confusing pretty damn fast.

14. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Yes that is what happens---you reach the universal constant and it is the universe that moves, not you. Your reference point for movement becomes the light of the universe, and so from your vantage point, it is the physical universe moving all around you at the speed of light.

But there are other problems that make it impossible----the faster we move the greater we increase in mass. Newton’s Law of Motion (f = ma) means that the faster we go the greater the force that will be required to continue accelerating higher. I forget but, as I recall, either the force required, or both force and mass become infinite right before you pass the light speed barrier. The universe has a built in resistance that keeps us from breaking into the speed of light---because at the speed of light, you do not have mass, you are only pure energy. This is why a photon is a zero-time zero-mass particle.

This last part means, that for a living breathing human being (assuming you survived the intense increase in mass), you would not have a physical body---there would be no brain, no heart, no physical structure to sustain life as we know it. Granted, there would be waves of energy where previously there was a body, but you as a sentient being would only exist as pure consciousness. So if you do not believe that consciousness can exist outside of the physical mind, then you would not be able to believe that we could travel at the speed of light. (I believe that it can.)

Then of course there is the same issue with your ship---it is no longer a ship, so whatever controls you had developed to decelerate and track your movement and so forth no longer exist. It is possible that pure consciousness could manipulate energy in such a way that the waves that are your ship could be manipulated as if you still had a ship------but to even start to buy into that possibility you would have to accept that consciousness is able to manipulate probability waves-----i.e. that the conscious observer does participate in shaping reality. Science has trouble accepting this so based on the current scientific paradigms, this too becomes an impossibility.

At a quantum level, our bodies and all the mass that surrounds us, is composed of atoms, particles, and subatomic particles that exhibit wave-particle duality. In other words they are waves of energy superpositioned across time and space, just like light itself, as much as they are particles representing a specific position in space-time. After all, even Einstein equated mass and energy (E=mc2).

My own philosophical interpretation of this is that it is only in the present moment of Now that superpositioned waves of energy collapse into single positions as particles. The light barrier exists, therefore, on both sides of the exact moment of Now. This makes sense, because the only way we can travel through time—i.e. escape the present is to beak the speed of light barrier.

If my philosophy is correct, while we can and do bend space-time we are still limited to doing it in the context of the present. We may extend or shorten the moment of Now (and therefore what we perceive as the speed of the succession of moments of Now), but we still experience the same Nows as everyone else living at normal time. They may grow older than we do, but it is still the same Nows, just experienced at different rates. We have to reach the speed of light or fall into a black hole to break out of the present. I say we do bend space-time because every time we take a flight somewhere we experience a very slight bending of time.

Worm holes are a completely different matter, when we come out the other end, will we experience a new Now where the physical manifests, or will we be stuck out of time (out of the present)?

A warmed hand on the other hand can take me to another dimension…

15. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I mean---the faster we go, because we increase in mass, the greater the force that will be required to continue accelerating higher.

This is certainly not an issue in accelerating from 0 to 1,000 miles per hour for example. But it would be an issue for example going from 0 to 100,000 miles per second, and then trying to accelerate to 120,000 miles per second, then to 125,000 and so forth...

16. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Schrodinger's Space ship?

;)

1 person likes this.
  17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Yes, everything at light speed is frozen in time, or in other words they have no perception of time or anything. Of course the only things travelling at light speed are pure energy state things like photons and gravitational waves and both of which are magnetic displacements in the fabric of space. When an atom is energized enough to where an orbiting electron breaks free and becomes a photon, that photon is essentially frozen in its perspective state, it's not spinning, it has a fixed polarity, all of it's energy is devoted to a linear forward propagation through space. Its polarity only changes when it passes through other magnetic fields, i.e. atoms of nearby crystals or panes of glass.

Bending space is precisely what energy does, but extremely slightly. Mass is energy, in the grand scheme of things, all the mass-energy of our entire solar system barely puts a dent in the fabric of space. To bend space for travel would practically need to fold space over. To make a space "bypass" the length of our solar system, it would take trillions and trillions more energy than our sun has. There'd also be some issue with that creating enough gravitational fields to possibly create a black hole and tear our galaxy apart. And to look for natural space-time "wormholes", black holes in the center of galaxies would be your best bet but I'm 99.999% sure black holes would just shred your body into particles.

18. lode

lode Banned

Specifically, it's possible to send information at infinite speeds today via intuiting bit from pairs that are quantumly entangled.

lf one were able to convert matter to information and back again, then it would not present of a problem. You'd still be relying on the initial sub light speeds to get your mode of quantum teleportation between a and b points, but after that, everything could be moved instantly.

Of course some some might not view this as much of teleportation as killing the original copy of you, and making a clone half way across the galaxy.

Science rocks.

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Actually quantum teleportation can NOT transmit information faster than light speed. It can decode information instantly and will likely be used for fiber optic encryption schemes but that's about it.

20. Bud D

Bud D Member

Maybe the idea to travel anywhere involves slowing down time. Gravity slows down time so maybe it's just too heavy. I dunno.

I'm not sure what all would happen if the fabric of space time is bent or a hole poked. Maybe very fast and very slow? I don't know why space time is so level. I think that space time can move in and out around itself in many different movements.