"megastructures" Found In Space

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Joshua Tree, Oct 18, 2015.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I used that word intentionally, partially in jest, due to prior discussion. I didn't know that alone would have you come running with a worthless reply. Maybe that's your daddy's excuse for not knowing shit.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I happen to think he's spot on the money.

3. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Interesting article (I read the one aeri posted). I wish I could find a more clear explanation of how they detected it though.

Lmao that made me laugh.

I think it was a joke guerilla lighten up.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

My response was plenty light.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Here's some obligatory emotes if that helps you.. :ROFL: :D :sifone:

6. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I think it's a litle soon to be saying that this is a Dyson sphere or such object. It could be, but there's possibly other explanations as well. The lack of radiation in the IR spectrum seems to suggest that whatever is blocking the light is cold, which isn't what you would expect from such an object but perhaps the aliens have such effienct technology that they can push the radiated energy so far down that it is indistinguishable from the CMBR by our instruments.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh GB knows I'm only stirring him up. :D

8. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

:D Given the next installment of Star wars is coming out, I would not put it past George Lucas and Disney to come up with something to promote the movie.

In saying that; it is Nibiru. Thoth, the Annunakis' and the ancient Atlantians' are coming back to retake their land. Well their portion of the sea anyway.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its all a load of crap

1 person likes this.
  10. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Insightful as ever VG :p

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

No offense to you Aerianne, but that has to be one of the more unscientific articles I've ever read.
    full of conjecture and assumptions.

"Astronomers have spotted a strange mess of objects whirling around a distant star."
    Uhmm, no they didn't, they noticed strange anomalies in the light being emitted by the star. Funny how that is now alien mega-structures or a construct inspired by some human sci-fi novel.....LOL seriously people?

"Wright and his co-authors say the unusual star’s light pattern is consistent with a “swarm of megastructures,” perhaps stellar-light collectors, technology designed to catch energy from the star."
    "Uhmm, "consistent with" what? As far as I know there are no other stars with mega-structures orbiting them to arrive at what would be consistent with such a system, so how in the fuck can they make that statement with a straight face, unless of course they are referring to Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Gallatica, etc.

silly humans.......

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Find us a better article because this is really interesting and we'd love to read a better article; wouldn't we gang?!?!?!

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

this one is rather reasonable;
    http://www.cnet.com/news/the-full-story-behind-the-alien-megastructures-scientists-may-have-found-but-probably-didnt/

and while this one tends to focus on the possibility of intelligent life building something, it is tempered with more actual science and less conjecture;
    http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-exoplanets/has-kepler-discovered-an-alien-megastructure-151014.htm

http://www.popsci.com/alien-megastructures-how-astronomers-plan-to-investigate

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ethansiegel/2015/10/16/bizarre-star-kic-8462852-an-alien-paradise-or-a-catastrophic-wasteland/

a lot of the other stuff I could find is merely a retelling of the Atlantic article you linked.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's consistent with the speculation of "Theoretical" :D Physicists. Meaning that for such structures, scientists would likely observe this type of phenomena if it were megastructures.

Many of the articles seem to be blending 2 different research projects on this story though, which may be a bit unclear.

15. Ahhhhh!!!!! Aliens! PANIC!!!!

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I find it humorous the degree of anthropomorphism inherent in the idea that it could be Dysan sphere.
    I would hope that if a civilization gets advanced to the point of actually being able to construct such a thing, they would have solved any issues that would necessitate needing one.

The whole idea is just full of anthropomorphic assumptions about the technology and energy needs of an extraterrestrial species.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Exactly

We humans may only be less than a decade from the first fusion reactor

Why would anyone ever bother with a dyson sphere if you dont even need the star

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think it goes beyond anthropomorphism in the sense that all life as we know it requires energy sustainability, however in the sense we are the only beings that we know of to have formed civilizations and that the notion may require projecting our own conceptions of energy consumption, there may be some anthropomorphic aspects to the notion .

The Dyson Sphere explanation comes following the elimination of several other possible ideas in regards to the phenomena and as has been mentioned, there are still other possible explanations being considered. Alien technology makes for sexy headlines for media stories though.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

and that is the most important thing after all. $$$$$