Ladybird Books Controversy.

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bilby, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Couldn't you tell us in your own words what this is all about? I don't want to sign up for FB to find out.

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The link I only found on FB.

Who Has The Right To Subvert Children’s Literature?

The literary community has been abuzz with the news of the new Ladybird collection for adults, which is to be released in November, 2015. The beloved British board-book series is set to release eight books in the exact style their children’s series. But their subjects are anything but childish: The Hipster, The Hangover, and The Midlife Crisis are among some of the new releases.
    But there is a dark backstory behind all the hilarity…
    [​IMG]
    The Adult Ladybird series / Via co-author Jason Hazeley

The Ladybird book series first secured their copyright in 1915, making this year their centenary celebration! For 100 years, Ladybird books have simplified life’s mysteries for children; books dealing with everything from fairy tales, to British heritage and pirates! One thing that set them apart from the other children’s publishers of the era was that they used professional/commercial artists to illustrate the books. The series’ dry, fact-filled style of writing, paired with their iconic art style solidified Ladybird’s reputation in the world of children’s literature.
    But no icon is above parody…

click here...

http://writerscircle.com/dung-beetle/?utm_source=twc-twcfan&utm_medium=social-fb&utm_term=101615&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=dung-beetle&origin=twc_twcfan_social_fb_link_dung-beetle_101615

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I'm not sure what to think about this. It seems harmless in some ways. I doubt I'd read a Ladybird aimed at adults though.

Looks like the publisher trying to milk every last penny out of the format.

I had a few of those books as a kid , the one's I recall were about the Police, and another about the Romans in Britain. The police one would seem very quaint by today's standards.

Bilby likes this.