Petition Against Australian Plans To Kill 2 Million Feral Cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Parenthesis, Oct 16, 2015.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

lets just round up all the cats and move them to the Galapagos Islands, where they can destroy another delicate ecosystem.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^but isn't human kind guilty of that with all ecosystems?

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Essentially the problem is feral cats have no natural predator other than people who shoot them for recreational reasons. I read about wolves being reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park and they brought life back yo the park by keeping the herbivore numbers in check and allowing the native plants a chance to grow.
    Nature although beautiful to look at in broad scale way is essentially a ruthless, unscrupulous bastard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmp6DDnbX2g

1 person likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So you are saying we should base our planning on the chance aliens may visit us. Aliens that have travelled maybe 1/2 galaxy not to rape our planet, just to say hi, but maybe wipe us out if we were mean to cats and kangaroos

What if they are aliens that evolved from mice on their planet, and they really hate cats?

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are Trap, Neuter, and Release Programs; not free; but the cats do not have to be looked after. They are released after anesthesia has worn off.

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Do not forget the mass killing of dogs in Sochi to clean up the place before the Olympics.

And cats do have natural predators. An owl will take a cat, as will a coyote.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Coyotes go through a lot of bird seed and dynamite though

1 person likes this.
  8. Bilby

I am not aware of any such programs in Australia. Even if there were any such programs were implemented, the cats would still continue to be driving native fauna to extinction.

9. Bilby

The OP is about feral cats in Australia. and we do not have any coyotes here. There is the odd cat taken by a wedge trailed eagle, but it is not their main source of food. Most owls here would be too small to take on even kittens.

10. Moonglow181

I don't even know what to say about this anymore. i just looked into this a bit more and there has been and is ongoing genocide on feral cats down under and the many photos I looked at saddened me further....cats hanging upside down in rows all killed......etc.....thousands killed every day there...

Cats are just busy being cats....as is everything just busy being whatever species it is in this world......I get the feeling many hate cats here.....
    I will say again i hate no animal and I do respect all life on this planet and its right to be here.....and I do resent man trying to play god.....I see all kinds of life as energy that is capsulated....and when you death sentence any, you are death sentencing pieces of yourself....no matter what species it may be......

Cats have many natural predators here...yes, owls, coyotes, hawks, fox and wolves....One of my cats disappeared here the first year I moved here. i wondered which natural predator took him, as he was a pretty small cat and probably did not have much chance with whatever he was up against.....even racoons have been known to kill cats here....

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If they're detrimental to the native ecosystem something needs to happen.

1 person likes this.
  12. Moonglow181

as are we detrimental to many eco systems...shall we be put on genocide, as well,. as a race and species?

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Happened before.

14. Moonglow181

yeah, don't i know it

15. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Ah Must be Different Here !
    When a cat had kittens in our coal shed we phoned the " cat protection league" and they did the operation on the mother but we were asked to look after the family for 3 weeks until the kittens were old enough to farm out and the mother was fit again
    In the UK though there is nowhere near that amount of wild or Feral Cats
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_Protection

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html?gclid=CPeLkvjQy8gCFQsUwwodkxYG2Q

16. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Yes we are and yes it is humankind's fault, but something that is detrimental to an ecosystem the way the cats are there is much different. They are facing 2 choices. Cat genocide, which is admittedly not that fun, or death of tons of different species in australia, which is clearly worse.

It is the fault of humans, for taking cats as pets (which I know you are also guilty of moonglow). Something that humans did all over the planet turned out differently some places due to different environments, and now Australia is sitting with a huge problem. A very quick internet search showed me that an estimated 75 million native animals in australia are killed by feral cats EVERY DAY. They are also linked to the extinction of over 60% of animals to go extinct I australia in the last 200 years.

So, something people did everywhere, people including you, went wrong in one country due to environment, but they are a horrible bunch of people for trying to fix the problem now?

3 people like this.
  17. Moonglow181

That is taking it too far to say anyone who has cats is part of this kind of problem.
    Any cat I have ever had needed a good home and I wish all cats could be so lucky. Any cat I have ever had has been fixed , and will spend their entire life with me. How am I contributing to the problem of having them?
    If everyone took cats in, there would be less making more unwanted cats on the streets and they have all been my friends, so I think you are taking your pointing fingers here a bit too far.

18. Mattekat

I'm talking about human kind's selfish need to keep pets. The is an abundance of rescuable cats where you live now (although feral cats are not exactly rescuable), but the need you have to keep pets and cuddle them and whatnot is the exact same need that led to this problem.

Just to be clear, I'm not exempt, I have a dog. I didn't mean it as finger pointing, since I was replying to you I thought I would use you as the example. Who is to say that if there we no rescue pets available that you, or I, or anyone else here with a rescue pet, that we wouldn't have gone sraight out and got a pet anyways to fill that need?

19. Moonglow181

I never asked for dogs or cats to be domesticated to this degree. It is not selfish to give any much needed love and a good home.
    Selfish for me would be foot loose and fancy free.
    And if you are going that route of reasoning, I find anyone having kid after kid after kid selfish.

20. Mattekat

I agree. People who have a ton of kids on purpose are contributing to overpopulation, which I think is just as selfish.

Tags: