Do You Remember Learning To Ride A Bicycle?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by rjhangover, Oct 12, 2015.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

How old were you? Did your mom or dad help you? Did you crash?

They didn't have helmets when I learned....I learned when I was four....going down a hill in Germany...didn't crash....but I did when I was eight in Alabama....going down a hill....a mound of dirt at the bottom and a wood bridge after the mound....tried to do it with out any hands, and fly over the bridge after hitting the mound.....hit my head on the bridge railing....woke up in the hospital getting stitched in my head....mom spanked me when she got me home....

2. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I was probably around 5 years old. My grandparents gave me a bike that was way too big for me. It had those big handlebars and a banana seat with a butterfly on it. I don't remember crashing when I learned to ride but when I was about 8 years old I was popping a wheelie at the babysitters house. When I landed the front wheel fell in the crack between the sidewalk and the grass. Stopped the bike cold in its tracks but I didn't stop. I flew off the front and landed on my chin on the sidewalk. That was the only 5 stitches I've ever gotten....so far.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember training wheels and then not needing them. i don't think i ever saw a bike helmet until the first time i saw the tour du france on tv.
    i remember when people didn't think a few scrapes and bruses were the end of the world.
    of course i was never interested in doing crazy shit to get myself injured either.
    which i guess didn't make me very popular, but being so was never a priority or even much of an interest.
    i don't remember there being sidewalks where i was. just dirt roads and hiking paths.

4. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

I do not remember. I tried and tried but no memory of that at all.

But I can tell you we never wore a helmet. ;)

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I remember a lot of crashes...

Nobody died, though.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I had a small blue bmx with the sponsor padding and training wheels. I remember on the dark riding it down the road to the street and I also remember it was a lot easier on the pavement. I don't remember any nasty accidents though, but I do remember when the trainers came off and it took me some coordination skills to reset myself. That was progress very young into life experience.

I have a decent mountain bike now with some front suspension but I don't ride anymore. Stick to horseback at the moment.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have some vague recollection. i know i had training wheels for a while, but the earliest i can actually remember was when i first took them off. i think my mom was there. i'm sure i crashed, because we were in the front yard and it's hard for a beginner to pedal on grass. but, since it was grass it didn't particularly hurt either.

i did have a couple nasty crashes later. there was a gravel road next to my house, and there were a couple times the gravel shifted under me and threw me pretty hard.

8. I lived in a trailer park. Across the street was the trailer of an old man named Red. Somehow I managed to crash right into the side of his trailer.

9. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I think I was in kindergarten, so about 5 years old. My first bike was purple and I think it had Tinkerbell on the seat and the wheels. I had training wheels, too. I know I had the whole shabang, a pink Barbie bike helmet and matching knee and elbow pads. I think my grandma and my mom did the most of the teaching, at my grandma's house and on the sidewalk in front of our house. I do remember my first wreck. I was pedaling as fast as my little legs would go and ran smack into the side of the neighbor's car. ...I never told anyone about that, but I am pretty sure I left a 5 year old sized dent.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

hopped on a girls 10 speed bike when I was about 5.. remember riding it standing 100% the time til the time we had our own bike.. ghetto..

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

supercycle with banana seat

it was a birthday gift

those fucking extra wheels came off in the first hour

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I went through the usual progression from Big Wheels and a Tricycle, to a bike with training wheels, and then finally a chopper which looked almost exactly like this one……………I still miss my chopper from when i was 10 years old....

[​IMG]

Hotwater

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

You Left Out The Fact That It Was Your 35th B-Day..... ;)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  14. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I was probably 4-5 years old. I taught myself to ride on my older sister's bike. It was too big for me so I had to stand up because I could not sit on the seat and reach the pedals. I rode it around the backyard because if I fell it would not hurt as bad. The driveway was not paved and although the streets were it was not like roads today. If you fell in the street when you stood up you would have all these tiny black stones stuck in your skin.

1 person likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, i saw this thread yesterday, and ive been trying to unearth a single memory of when i first learned to ride a bike

Nothing, nada...I cannot remember a single freakin thing

Too many microdots in the 90s

16. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I think I was 6. My parents live at the top of a hill. I remember my dad holding the back of the seat and running behind me as I started going down the hill then letting go.

17. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

or something like that.....lol

18. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I was probably around 5 when I went from a trike to a two wheeler. I remember it had training wheels and I think it took a while for me to have them taken off as I guess I was a slow bike learner. My dad would take me to the school yard to ride it and I remember falling and swearing that I was never getting on the thing again. I did and eventually did manage to master it, a few scraped knees and elbows aside. :)

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember! I was about five years old. My mom and older brother would help me in the driveway. I crashed and got a nasty goose egg on my forehead. That was probably my brother's fault, lol.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I was about 5-6. The street we lived on at the time wasn't paved but was covered with crushed black cinder rock, and not stuff that had smooth edges. This stuff could be used as a scalpel if you had a good sized piece.
    Anyway after a few attempts I took a major nosedive and tumble through the cinder rock.
    After picking pieces of rock out of my forehead, knees and elbows, I was "encouraged" to try it again by my dad. Freshly bandaged and still bleeding I mounted my trusty or rather rusty Schwinn and gave it another go.
    Much to my amazement I managed to master it rather quickly. I guess the idea of taking another dive into what is essentially pulverized glass gave me the needed extra motivation.....LOL

Between that event and taking more than a few tumbles racing wagons down hills, I still have scars on my knees.
    I think there was one summer when I never had skin on my knees, just a succession of scabs.