Pushing A Hoop With A Stick

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Fueled by Coffee, Oct 12, 2015.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

[​IMG][​IMG]

Are there any Hip members on here old enough to remember when this was something the cool kids did?

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

No, and for most of us even the Hula Hoop was a relic of bygone days before we were even born.

Although like all fads it comes and goes…….The hula hoop I mean, not the hoop w/ a stick which is still waiting to be reborn once again during the next great depression.

Hotwater

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I wasn't even aware that was an actual thing, I thought that was mostly just a sarcastic figure of speech like "watching the grass grow." :D

It's possible it makes a comeback, I think it's awesome these things have been so popular among kids in recent years, it kind of flies in the face of the technologically addled older generations.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

^ I had one of those ball and string catchers growing up. Never could catch the f'ing ball, but my siblings managed somehow.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a bit before my time, though there was that very picture in a 1921 encyclopedia that was in a house we moved into when i was a kid. i remember hulla hoops though, and also there were these hoops that had a lever over a split place in them, like the way a chain binder works, that closed the tin lid on the carboard barall that soap powder came in bulk for commercial laundries. maybe still do? anyway i remember having one of those to play with too. oh yah. never could do the hoola hoop thing. my dad tried it and couldn't either. this was like sometime in the late 50s. the hoola hoop thing.

come to think of it, i remember a bunch of us used to do that with old tires. still used our hands instead of a stick though.

6. audrey_the_endotherm

audrey_the_endotherm Members

Hoop rolling is still an extremely popular sport here in Canada. In fact the annual Canadian hoop rolling championships begin next month February 22nd.

7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Seeing that reminds me I need to find a hula hoop. I'm convinced (and don't anybody tell me any different! :D ) that would be a great exercise and I wouldn't have to get down on the floor, or find a machine or whatever to do it!

About the hoop pushing...I know I've seen that picture in the OP but I honestly never believed it was done. I sort of thought that was a made up thing to take a picture of. Sometimes my mind gets away from me. :)

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

probably scratcho

9. 6-eyed shaman

My grandpa who was born in 1913 said it was done with metal barrel ties that held wooden barrels together.

1 person likes this.
  10. quark

quark Parts Unknown

It hasn't been the same since Tim Horton's made it a big corporate event...

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I can't bear to be one that feels like the grass is greener somewhere else...BUT it surely does seem like Canada is "greener" in so many ways than here in the US...

from the legal herbage to health care to the beautiful still pristine places that aren't being RUSHED to development to nice and simple "sports" such as hoop rolling.

and that ^ seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Don't get me wrong...I know I'll never leave my twilight zone here in the south...too many ties to even get into...but Canada sounds like a truly great place to live. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

omg i totally forgot about our hoop competitions...at that time of year im usually too focused on hunting baby seals and polar bear sled pulling races.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Hey I wouldn't mind free coffee while I sit in my igloo watching the hoop rolling finals on tv!

14. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I can't see the grass, it's covered in snow, but I can guarantee its pretty brown under there.

1 person likes this.
  15. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:D lol that makes me feel better