Your Take On Windows 10 (And 8)

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Terrapin2190, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My bull shit detector cannot be beat......rarely does something make it out of my head and out the other ear as bull shit...to be processed by my heart....

How about your BS detector?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Thou shalt consume....

Or else!

1 person likes this.
  3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm not sure how good it is, but I always seem to be picking up a signal when I'm tuned into advertising and the media.

4. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I was just helping my mom fix up her computer and install a 'new' printer. (I use quotes, because it is new, but the hardware and features are SEVERELY outdated.) It just reminded me how much I hate Windows 8's interface. I see so many security issues just using that stupid dashboard. You open a dashboard program, but there's no clickable option to 'actually' close it. It stays running in the background until you turn the computer off. Unless you know a bit of this and that about keyboard shortcuts and know how to Alt+F4 to close something.

I'm waiting in anticipation for Windows 10 to go bottom-up like Obamacare is gonna do :D

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I hate that word ... consumers.

As for Winblows 10, idk i guess it's okay. Seems to "need" a lot of storage. Don't really trust MS but I don't trust Apple either. Haven't actually ran it bare metal on my machine, only in a virtual machine. I have an extra hard drive with Win8 for video games, might as well install it over that one day and see what it's like I just haven't really been into video games in a while other than oldschool console games. My machine is an insomniac also, it's been awake for 6 weeks and 4 days, 5 hours, 33 minutes; uptime would have been a lot more but I had to turn it off to install a combo serial/parallel port card. Now that I think of it, that's something that always kind of bugged me about windows ... it always wants you to reboot after everything you install, and periodically asks you to reboot, and if you aren't there to tell it no, it does it anyway.

6. everdeenkatniss257

everdeenkatniss257 Members

No i'll didn't upgrade to windows 10 because i like the 8 most..

7. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

My notebook with Windows 8.1 continues to recommend me an upgrade to Windows 10, but i don't want to upgrade?!

Why Windows wants necessarily (?) that I make the upgrade when it’s free? I also could purchase it, or not?!

8. Tyrsonswood

Windows 10 is spyware....

9. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

Thank you very much for your explanation!

So now I know definitively that I won't upgrade to Windows 10... also why. Windows 8.1 in my opinion is good enough.

10. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

Thank you very much for your explanation!

So now I know definitively that I won't upgrade to Windows 10... also why. Windows 8.1 in my opinion is good enough.

11. AceK

I'm sure that MS will probably just backport the spyware features of Win10 to Win8.1 via a patch if they haven't done so already.

12. Tyrsonswood

That's highly possible

13. AceK

"The Real Hacker's Handbook", by Dr. K would describe such software features or tools as malware, or dual-usage hacking tools when used for malicious intent. Invasion of privacy is definitely malicious intent, so these features which AFAIK contain keylogging and telemetry features and god knows what else definitely are spyware, which is by definition malware.

Of course when you install Windows 10 you have to accept the AUP and user agreement, which is how they get away with it. If you or I were to install and use these types of tools on someone else's machine which we do not know, against their wishes and were caught doing so, we would be found in violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and most likely the Computer Misuse Act which outlaws the use of what they "deem" to be "hacking tools". Of course most "hacking tools" are dual use tools with legitimate uses, a systems administrator using them to secure and find vulnerabilities in a network he in which is he is authorized to do so is not breaking the law, in any other case breaking these laws is likely to result in a prison sentence and/or hefty fines. Some of this could also be considered theft of some type of another, if data is "stolen" without the user's consent (if there was consent, it is not theft).

All of this goes against the true hacker ethic, as described by Dr. K:
    • Information is power; therefore information should be free.
    • Corporations and government cannot be trusted to use technology for the benefit of ordinary people.
    • Corporations and government cannot be trusted to guarantee privacy and freedom of speech on the internet.
    • Unless we understand computers and networks, we will be enslaved by corporations and governments that do.
    • Computers are enabling tools capable of enhancing creativity, placing the potential to create art and music in the hands of ordinary people.
    • The invention of the World Wide Web is like the invention of the printing press, but places the power to communicate in the hands of ordinary people instead of church and state.
    • Access to computers enhances life and unleashes individual creativity which benefits the community.
    • Access to computers should be for everyone, not just the wealthy "information-rich" middle classes.
    • Access to a global network of computers enables the creation of a rich diversity of virtual communities.
    • The internet is supplying new social and economic models which promote a "gift economy" wherby people are judged by their contribution to society, not on their wealth.
    • If, as Robert Anton Wilson suggests, "communication is only possible between equals", computers enable that communication by promoting decentralization and eroding traditional notions of equality.
    • We will not know the impact of computers on our society for many years, but the consequences will be far-reaching and will change everything forever.
    Hacker's code of Ethics Given by Mentor in LOD/H, this is more of the "dark side" of things but still relevant:
    • Do not intentionally damage any system.
    • Do not alter any system file other than ones needed to ensure your escape from detection and your future access.
    • Do not leave your (or anyone else's) real name, real handle, or real phone number on any system that you access illegally.
    • Be careful who you share information with.
    • Do not give your real phone number to anyone you don't know.
    • Do not hack government computers.
    • Don't use codes unless there is NO way around it.
    • Don't be afraid to be paranoid.
    • Watch what you post on boards.
    • Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    • You have to actually hack.
    Doing harm, and invading the privacy or people on massive scales is unethical, and goes against true hacker ethics. Not all hacker's are ethical, and can be classified as criminals or crackers.

TL;DR:
    Everytime someone hears the media cast a negative light on the "evil hackers", they should remember that the internet, and computers were built by hackers. Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman, Dennis Ritchie, Brian W Kernighan; all good hackers. I support FOSS and the GNU project. The power should be in our hands, not in the hands of corporations and governments. I have a router that has a sticker on the back that says (in paraphrase): "Tampering with electronic equipment is a Federal crime, and you can go to prison for it". WTF! It's in my home, I should be able to do whatever I want with my own electronics! The word tampering is kind of vague .. what exactly is considering tampering anyway? Is port scanning considered tampering? Apparently the thing "appears" to run a Linux 2.6 kernel ... don't know how I came found this out, I guess I sort of "guessed", is that tampering?

It seems that they don't want you do know much of anything about these things, or to know how they work. I guess we the consumers aren't allowed to be curious about what we are "consuming", and I'm sure that there are undocumented features that won't be found in the user manual. Curiosity in general seems to be frowned upon.

Knowledge is power: its the only way we can protect ourselves from electronic tyranny ... Scientia Potentia Est!

14. pinton

pinton Members

Upgraded over 50 people to Windows 10 so far, all love it, none have wanted to go back, and i upgraded my own desktop editing pc 7 days ago from 8.1 and all i can say is i wish i did it earlier, however i did hold off until i had the official ISO for the Threshold 2 Built 10586 from microsft, just downloaded the ISO to my Hard Drive by using the Media Creation Tool about 4 weeks ago, then burnt it to a 8gb USB Stick.

My ISO (the one i downloaded) is an All in One that contains both the Home and Pro versions in both 32bit and 64bit, so i can use a single USB stick to install onto any machine.

The key to upgrading is to disable all the security settings that you get during the upgrade (select to Customize Settings) and when you get to the new windows 10 desktop, immediately get a copy of O&O ShutUP 10 and disable a further 63 settings that are turned on by Default.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Don't get all hung up over all this stupid spyware/security paranoia and hype that some people are throwing around to scare people off, most of it is being created by people who simply have no fucking idea what they are talking about.

Even if you don't think you want it, at least run the upgrade to get the free Activation set in place in your bios and in the microsoft Activation server, then roll back, at least you can then move to 10 later on without having to buy it.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  15. AceK

I'd do a clean install, as most peoples computers that run Windows seem to be full of malware and useless unwanted software. Great opportunity to get rid of some of that shit.

16. AceK

Thanks for the tip on shutup10 ... it reveals a lot more options than the windows 10 UI exposes. I'm a linux guy mostly, so I'd never heard of it till you mentioned it.

RE activation: Microsoft toolkit and AutoKMS should do the job, if for some reason that fails, KMSpico should do the trick. I'll provide a link to these tools here below. You will need the free 7-zip compression program; you can download 7-zip at http://www.7-zip.org/. After doing this, Windows Defender will detect AutoKMS as a hacktool, just tell it to allow (so it knows its okay) and it shouldn't bug you about it anymore.

Link to activation tools:
    Windows 10 Activators.7z

For verification of above file:
    SHA256: dcbe29a466de68ee134224e297d24a7429117b2fc2442c97a9711c29c495893a

No matter what Operating System you use, I'd also recommend a Mozilla browser (take your pick) with the following add-ons: disconnect, better privacy, self destructing cookies, AdBlock Edge or uBlock-Origin.

I used to recommend AdBlock Edge, but i now believe uBlock-Origin may be better. It makes more efficient use of CPU usage as well as having more capabilities than AdBlock Edge.

Edit: you may wish to disable WebRTC and STUN, which can reveal ip addresses behind your NAT and other nasty things to invade your privacy.

To do so in mozilla browsers, go to about:config:

media.peerconnection.enabled -- set this value to false
    media.peerconnection.ice.stun_client_maximum_transmits -- set this equal to 0

This next one is experimental by me, I'm testing it and nothing has broken so far, just be careful:
    media.peerconnection.default_iceservers -- set that value to an empty string.

Check to make sure it works here: https://www.browserleaks.com/webrtc

if you did it properly you shouldn't see any local IP address ... if you do see your local network IP then that means WebRTC can see your local ip (on your local network, behind your router ... a security and privacy threat), and you need to fix that to stay safe ;)

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Windows 10 changed the default program used for viewing .pdf files the other day. I remember feeling a little bit irked when I noticed that it had changed from Adobe to Microsoft Edge. What does that have to do with updating my computer? Weird...

18. AceK

idk, i haven't used windows 10 a whole lot myself. I've set it up with accounts for other people, but as far as really using it myself I've only used it to run AVR-Studio. There's lots of programs that open pdfs, most browsers can open pdfs as well. You should be able to right click "open with" and select the program and set it as default for that type of file, at least thats how previous windows works so I'm gonna assume Win10 has similar feature since pretty much every file manager has that feature (in this case Windows Explorer).

Sometimes when windows programs install or update themselves, the install process runs a script that changes file associations to that program.

19. pinton

pinton Members

Thanks a lot for all thi information, especially the activation bit, is this method just another short cut way of getting the free windows 10 activation on a machine without doing the actual upgrade first.

Of coarse after doing the initial upgrade to get activation, i always reboot the machine using my Windows 10 All in One boot stick (threshold 2 build 10586) and wipe the Hdd and run a fresh installation.

20. pinton

pinton Members

@ IRQ42

I dislike anything to do with piracy, i downloaded the windows 10 activators that you offered, but it kind of looks a bit sus to me, especially when the word "activator" is used, so can you explain it in a bit more detail.

I also use the latest updated version of Firefox, hate every other browser out there.