Don't Move To Portland

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Fueled by Coffee, Sep 15, 2015.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Last time I was in Hawaii, I got to poke hot lava with a stick!

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I saw BOC there!

3. Eerily

Eerily Members

Isn't it true that one can hardly walk down the street in Hawaii, trip over a banana pill, and land face first without poking hot lava with a stick or seeing BOC?

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

one major issue with Hawaii is that it has limited land resources and as such a ton of crap has to be shipped in from the mainland and the prices reflect that, or so I've been led to believe.

years ago some friends had the brainstorm idea of going to Alaska for summer break and making tons of $$$$ because the wages being offered were so high.
    Until they found out that almost everything cost 2-3 times as much there.
    Then those great wages weren't so great after all.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

big orangutan cock?

2 people like this.
  6. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Are you sure you wanna be that close to me? If you move to Portland, we'll only be like 7 hours from each other...

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When I think of Hawaii I think of nice beaches and really blue water and a land of jungle of sorts yet when friends show me vacation photos... I am always way the hell off and disappointed. Now from what they've shown me I wouldn't go tbh.

8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

On second thoughts, I really like Mexico.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

:bigcry:

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its truly unexplainable

The worlds pretty much been in recession for 5 years.

Incomes and the prices of pretty much everything else havent risen anywhere near what rents have. Pretty much every major city in the world its the same, rents have been increasing 3,4 times increases in everything else for almost a decade now

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep, rental properties are ridiculous. I should know because i get a lot of money just from rent from my properties back in Australia. And honestly, for some properties, you could be paying off your own mortgage at the rates we ask for and we aren't being assholes, it's just people will pay it.

It's sad though when people like my sister who can't really save money because of rent, that the banks won't even look at her. They all say "2 years of rent = x amount". But no bank really ever cares about that and she struggled to buy a place but I got to help her out easily enough. :)

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, still aint going to touch the property market

19.81% increase in property prices in Sydney last financial year. Sounds phenomenal, but once you nut out all the costs, really ends up being in that 5-10% range depending on how you do it. Strata fees in Sydney are also bullshit.

Even with such ridiculous property price increases, still wont beat shares, especially ETFs nowadays definately wont beat your super

Which is another reason its all curious, who are all these investors. Even the fact that property price isnt compounding regularly means you are 2,3% a year behind the game over a 20 yr period before you even start

13. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Blue Oyster Cult, but thanks for the image!

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

In my next life, I want to live on a planet with intelligent life. But which galaxy? Hmmm....decisions decisions.....

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

The problem with stocks (or one of them, at least) is that they are trading at levels much higher than their actual earnings. The only reason to buy them is that you are hoping to pass them off to somebody else for more than you bought them for.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, really, the real problem with stocks is ego. No one is going to do better than 100 guys that manage a big pension fund 50 hours a week.

Warren Buffet the big wall st guru, will still just say diversify.

When you do though, does average out slightly better than property and less taxes.

Thats why I said ETFs, those funds managed by all the 100 employees analizing everything. But still diverify with them. Anything else is just gambling