This Is What Can Happen When A Child Is Not Told They Are Adopted

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Dude111, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

2. Sakie

Sakie Members

It's sad, and it happens to many adopting parents.

I've known many people who have adopted, especially having done a practicum with Child Services. I found many had success in explaining to their children even before they are capable of understanding. They usually say that you had a different "tummy mummy" before coming to us, and that we are the mommy and daddy that you were destined for, etc. Add more details as appropriate as they age, or don't if they never ask...

1 person likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Actually that story to me was rather uplifting. It is probably the best outcome possible from an adoption situation.

My cousin was adopted and she was told from the time she was a little tot that she was. Never became an issue for her as she always knew. When given the opportunity to find her birth parents she declined (18 at the time) as she had no interest in doing so. She is now in her 40's and still has no interest in finding them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dude111

I feel very bad for adopted ppl...... Thier parents either dont want them or cant care for them......

What kinda FAMILY do they have??

Its very sad.......

5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Ummmm this makes no sense. Most adopted people grow up in a very loving environment. Being adopted means you have parents who do love and care for you, they just don't happen to be your birth parents. You might be thinking of foster kids. There's a big difference.

My mom was adopted and she was told from a very young age about it, so it was never an issue. She did end up reconnecting with her birth mother about 10 years ago. She is a really nice lady who just had my mom at 16 and couldn't afford to support her at that young age.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

A family of choice that has the ability to care for them. Duh.

Oh, and the kid already knew one sibling. Adoptive family members ARE family members. Just with paperwork. Kind of like a marriage that cannot dissolve.

Dude111 likes this.
  7. Dude111

Ya I hear ya buddy!!

8. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

i just keep thinking. Why would the mom have kept one kid, and not the other?

9. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Probably financial reasons. Knowing she could only afford to give one kid a proper quality of life.

10. Dude111

Im also thinking they wouldnt tell because they dont want them trying to run back to potentially dangerous people...