The Transporter Refueled

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Transporter Refueled
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    September 4, 2015

I enjoyed the Transporter movies with Jason Statham and while I saw in the trailers that this reboot was without him, decided to check it out anyhow. It was not too well received by the aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes, with only 17% fresh and the audiences gave it only 34%.

The movie was set up the same way as the old movies with a very accomplished driver and fighter, Frank Martin (Ed Skrein) with a meticulous, obsessive/compulsive need for order where all conditions of travel are spelled out in advance with no changes. We learn of Frank's fighting skills in an opening scene where some punks are going to steal his car and without ruffling his black suit or tie, leaves them all lying on the parking lot floor as he drives off.

He gets a call from a potential customer named Anna (Loan Chabanol) where as usual there are no questions about what he is transporting other than number of packages and weight.

Frank & Anna in Car
    [​IMG]

Of course he gets involved with Anna and her close friends who all dress alike with the same blond wigs and are in a scheme of which he is not clear.

Frank with 3 Blond Girls
    [​IMG]

Also, Frank is spending some time with his recently retired father, Frank Sr. (Ray Stevenson) who was in some kind of clandestine black ops that we are not too clear on. Frank Sr. gets pulled into this action along with his son.

The women were all prostitutes on the French Riviera under a crime boss whom they have escaped from and are scheming payback with "Mission Impossible" schemes of transferring money out of his account.

While this is going on, daddy Frank is getting to know the girls.

Frank Sr. & Gina
    [​IMG]

And Frank Jr. is getting to know Anna.

Frank Jr. & Anna
    [​IMG]

The movie wasn't all that great, but it was filled from start to finish with unbelievable action scenes, car chases along the coast highways of the Riviera and many martial arts fight scenes. To its credit, Frank Junior's injuries from fights stayed with him during healing process and did not go away in the next scene. The opposite effect was with an abdominal gunshot wound that was field-dressed and the person was up and running the next day. Suspension of disbelief is always helpful in these type of movies.

So, that is what it is. I may now go put in my DVD of The Transporter with Jason Statham.

2. Shale

Shale ~

September 5, 2015

I just watched Transporter 2 from 2005 with Jason Statham.

[​IMG]

I had forgotten that is was set in my home town of exotic Miami Beach. Also the opening scene of this was just like the newer movie where Frank confronts and bunch of punks in a parking garage wanting to steel his car and drives out of that scene with all the punks laying on the concrete.

There are also improbable driving stunts in this movie the same as the new one, where Frank clips a bomb off the bottom of his car by driving it airborne and hitting the bomb with construction equipment. There is also the scene where he is being chased by all the police cars in town and eludes them while they all crash. Oh, and the driving off one upper level parking garage and landing in an adjoining one equals the new movie where he drives airborne into an airliner loading ramp and escaping into the airport.

So now that I have seen the old movie, the question is, why did they make this reboot? You'd be better off getting a DVD or stream of the 2005 Transporter 2.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Shale, I’ll do my best to avoid it.

I saw the original back in 2002 with Jason Statham and even before going into the movie theatre I knew it was a winner when I saw Luc Besson was one of the writers.

Hotwater

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I didn't enjoy any Transporter movie to the max. I do like a lot of Statham movies though. It seems he generally is in above average action movies (well for me).

Did you guys saw Crank and Crank 2: High voltage? Over the top but great and hilarious :D