Pink Floyd The Wall...the Original Concept

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dude111, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I actually decided to give this album a few listens last week after not having heard it in years. It's probably one of the first albums I had ever listened to, which my father introduced me to as a child. It's best heard in its entirety, from beginning to end. Commercial radio overplay of certain tracks has done a lot to hurt this album, IMO. To understand the meaning behind any given song really requires the album be heard in full. In short, "the wall" in which the album is named after is a psychological wall, but the actual idea for the album comes from the tour preceding 'The Wall', where Roger Waters became so fed up with the audiences at his shows (which eventually resulted in him spitting in the face of one of his fans) that he wanted to create an actual wall to separate himself from the audience.

The closing tracks of this album, starting with 'Waiting for the Worms', culminating with 'The Trial', and ending with 'Outside the Wall' are the highlights of this album for me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes I have had this album since the early 80s.. Its one of the few that made it out of the 80s in decent shape! (I didnt used to take care of my records)

Now I also have THE WALL on VHS (1982) and its insanely good! (A few songs that arent on either record is on it!)

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9b9UhFe6Eg

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I enjoy this album, it was probably my favorite Pink Floyd album when I was younger but one thing I will say is that listening to it now, it seems to have the most decadent feeling to any Pink Floyd album. Some of this decadent feel goes exceptionally well within the narrative and scope of the album but I think on certain songs/parts it comes off as slightly contrived, at least by Pink Floyd standards, I also find it their most depressing album. I think perhaps part of the underlying theme to "The Wall" in addition to what Pressed Rat already mentioned, was the signaling of the band beginning to erect barriers amongst each other and the beginning of the end.

6. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I think the best criticism I've read about "The Wall" came from David Gilmore. He said that "The Wall" was essentially Roger Waters cataloging and blaming others for his insecurities. From the school system, to his overprotective mother, to his cheating wife. I like the album but that criticism sounds pretty dead on.

C/S,
    Rev J

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lolz, I'll shut up now, before I even start