Transform Windows 7/8/10

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Terrapin2190, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

If anyone is interested in customizing their Windows 7/8/10 appearance/working atmosphere, here are a few links you might be interested in. It's not something to just jump right into though. You may need a few additional programs to get them up and running. Only 2 that install quickly and an additional program if you want to use 7tsp themes/shell icons.

[​IMG]

The Programs:

Windows 7/8 Tools

1. Download a tools package depending on your OS (Windows 7 or 8).

2. You'll want to install UniversalThemePatcher first. Make sure to check whether your system is running at x86 or x64 and install the appropriate file according to your system specs. Let it run for 10 seconds or so, then restart.
    (You can check this by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System)

3. You'll want to install ThemeResourceChanger. (Same rules as above. Check system architecture first. [x86 or x64])
    I restart after this too just to be on the safe side.

4. (Optional) If you have Windows 7 Starter or Home Edition, you'll also want to install the Aero Patch which is included in the Win7 Tools Package.

5. (Optional) Drag the file in the 7tsp folder to a folder of your choice. (I use C:\Themes\7tsp) Use this to install 7tsp Themes, Icons and Tranformation Packages. You'll want to put any 7tsp packages in the same folder as the 7tsp application. Make sure not to extract the .7z files they come in and that the file names of the packages all start with 7tsp. If they aren't named "7tsp......." the application will not recognize them.

The Themes:

Winempyrean Themes

Winempyrean is the most comprehensive Windows theming website I've found. They have some VERY nice themes and Shell Styles in their collection. Most of the highlights from VirtualCustoms.net can be found here.

NOTE: Make sure you click on the correct version of Windows that you are running under the Themes tab. If you install a Windows 8 theme on a Windows 7 system, your computer may fail to boot.

Virtual Customs

If you really want to take a trip down the customization rabbit hole, Virtual Customs is the place for you. They have everything. Themes, Cursors, Desktop Gadgets, Misc Skinnable Applications. Some of my favorites are Aimp, Rocket Dock and Shock4Way3D.

If you need any help or want recommendations on some of the best themes, just give me a shout or leave a reply here.

2. Terrapin2190

Oh! Another really neat program I found is Volume2

[​IMG]

It's a replacement for Windows Volume Control OSD (On-Screen Display). You can even get rid of Windows' stock volume icon on the start menu and replace it with one of Volume2's custom icons. There are TONS of skins for the app and they all look great.

I like the futuristic glowy blue circle one :)

It fixed my problem of 'not' having OSD for volume as well.

You can also find a few extra skins on DeviantArt, but I believe most of them are included with the application.
    Volume2 Skins

[​IMG]

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

shell replacements can be interesting, but they usually introduce problems.
    I used to try different stuff like that until I realized just how little it really matters what the GUI looks like compared to how well it runs the applications I want.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, whos going to really fuck around with different skins for volume control?

5. Terrapin2190

Eye candy BRO.

No problems here. I know what you mean though. Task Manager reports the same amount of ram being used while custom themes are enabled.

6. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I think they call this "ricing". Fancy visual effects are computationally expensive so there's a trade off between aesthetics and speed. You can have your GUI look like shite and be super fast, or really pretty and slow. Of course you might have a computer powerful enough to run any visual effects and still be fast, but then you start to wonder about how much faster it would be if your desktop looked like shite.

7. Terrapin2190

I thought this was pretty cool. Whenever I went on vacation, the guy we were staying with had a Chromecast TV Stick. We'd be hanging out, and the whole time there would be images constantly changing on his TV like a living picture frame. Pardon my metaphor, but it was pretty sweet. They were GOOD pictures too! HD quality, no watermarks or text imbedded in the images. Anyways, I digress...

Here! http://chromecastbg.alexmeub.com/

Just click "Download" at the top and select which image resolution fits your screen best. They're packs of 700+ high quality images you can use as a screensaver, desktop background, slideshow, whatever.

The images are tasteful too! Mostly nature pics as far as I know.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

can you find me an analog clock .. I cant deal with the digital clock crap..

9. AceK

There's always this ... it's analog, but in a way "digital" lol

[​IMG]

but I think you want a computer clock .... there's this thing, but it's definitely digital and you gotta be able to read hexadecimal so it's about as digital as a clock can be I'd say. You can set your snooze interval to whatever you want though, the snooze time is programmable and it has not only an auditory alarm buzzer, but also a visual strobe effect on the display to help wake you up.
    [​IMG]

and of course: the code ... if one were to attempt to build this thing.
    https://github.com/IRQ42/hexclock

10. Terrapin2190

There are all sorts of 'gadgets' for Win7. They ended up doing away with the Windows Gadget Platform after they found a number of security issues with it, but I've used them plenty. I also don't do any online banking or confidential info with my computer, so I don't worry too much about it.

There's also Rainmeter, which is basically a skinnable HUD for your desktop. Rainmeter tends to eat a whole lot of memory depending on the objects/skin you're using. I only tested a few with a 2.1ghz dual core AMD CPU, which received a massive slow down, so I uninstalled it. I imagine they may have fixed that issue by now.

Windows Gadgets are probably your best bet (if they weren't disabled by Windows Update on your PC). No need to install extra software, easy to use and configure, and there are still a few websites that host Gadget downloads. Even clock packs iirc.

Edit: Or you could just install Vista. :D

An analog clock gadget is standard on a fresh install of Win Vista. Though you can't drag it around your desktop like in Win7.

11. Terrapin2190

I found a bunch of really neat little portable Windows programs last night.
    http://se-soft.com

I highly recommend SE Desktop Constructor and SE Tray Menu.

[​IMG]

SE Desktop Constructor
    Allows you to place various analog and digital clocks (quite limited, but a nice selection nonetheless) along with several transparent color bars on the desktop.
    Highly customizable.
    (I can send you my preset if you'd like.)

SE Tray Menu
    Gives you a small icon in the notification area of your Windows taskbar, allowing you to place shortcuts to your favorite programs in a simple menu list for easy access.
    Letting you get rid of all those pesky desktop icons and letting your desktop wallpapers shine!

The SE Screensaver Pack is pretty neat as well!
    It includes a color-changing animated zooming fractal screensaver, a kaleidescope screensaver (one of the best and fastest I've seen), and some nifty matrix lettering effects.

I'll add one more!

HideDesktopIcons
    Here's a link to an exe that you can pin to your taskbar, allowing you to hide and unhide all of your desktop icons quickly and easily at any time!
    This works with Windows 7/8/10. (Possibly earlier versions too!)
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-the-desktop-icons-on-or-off/

This works great with SE Desktop Constructor!

12. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Anyone without wobbly windows is a heartless bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WdEJVxRD0

13. AceK

if i can see my "desktop" ... IMO that's a waste of screen real estate.

14. Terrapin2190

Ahh! Ubuntu!

(Kubuntu, rather?)

I'm planning on testing out those effects very soon, now that I've had time to let my knowledge of linux systems sink in a little lol. I remember hearing of Plasma effects a few years ago, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to turn them on.