Privacy On The Internet

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Blu3sLady, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

and if you did not think there was much trust in the world before....lololololololololololol

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

moths are drones ..

3. Moonglow181

paranoia abounds.....it will explode in this world..many will become paranoid...not me...I know already....LOL

4. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

That's why I took my laptop's entire monitor off. Webcam, microphone and all.

If you value your privacy... abandon the internet. Soon enough you won't even need the internet in order to be spied upon. Everyone leaves a paper trail anyways.

5. Metal Groomp

Metal Groomp Members

I sometimes worry about that too even though I never really post my personal information online. I don't use any social media and I sure as hell don't post my pictures either. What I kind of worry about most is other people posting a picture of me online. They might be making fun of me right now, who knows? What I don't know can't hurt me.

6. Moonglow181

Some are already using insidious bullying tactics.....with this shit.....oh, look at fat Johnny eating a cheeseburger, etc....form of gaslighting.....too...to drive someone crazy.....or black mail someone...just try it...it ain't gonna happen here....I promise you that....Some people have committed suicide over bullying on the internet. Some people just don't care and never will....That is on them ,though...not me.
    i am strong enough...go ahead make fun of me with whatever you can think of or see or find...I am kind of armoured against it.....from being bullied as a child.....I will always prevail.

1 person likes this.
  7. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

To make VPN easily understandable without getting too technical, you would use a VPN to conceal your present IP address by using a different IP address that is given to you from another server by a VPN provider, this will make you invisible as you surf the web. These other servers are based in different countries as well as in the states of course. You can either download a free VPN or pay for one instead, I would assume a paid for VPN although expensive may be a bit more secure against eavesdropping parties wanting to track you. A VPN will also protect you from hacking if you are using wifi in a public place to. However just bare in mind that you have to put trust in the VPN provider that they will protect your data which will be on their servers, you need to read their terms and conditions fully.
    I forgot to mention that all the data you send on the web will be encrypted by a VPNso it's unlikely to be hacked.

1 person likes this.
  8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I guess I've been doing something right, because when I do a search on myself, I never find much besides info on my business, which I want to be out there.

For sure. If the NSA ever assigns somebody to keep track of what I do on a typical day, his boss is going to come in one morning and find a skeleton at his desk wearing headphones, because he will have died of boredom.

How much do you think anybody can really hear and understand from inside a pocket or purse? I just put my cell phone in speakerphone mode and did a little experiment, using my husband's phone. I couldn't hear shit when it wasn't out in the open.

Another fascinating job for someone, watching other people watch TV ! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was going to say something about your avatar but I will leave it up to your imagination, perhaps you can correct me if I'm wrong in that respect. [​IMG]

10. golden_eel

golden_eel Members

They don't need to have a physical person to watch/listen to you . They just store everything in a database then if they are interested in you a program searches for tid bits that can be used against you.

I alway said I would never have a smart phone......and here I am typing this on one now. Damn conveniences will be the death of us all

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

I don't feel like I am important enough for anyone to want too see or watch what I'm doing. Such a little fish I am. :) But, I have googled myself and very little comes up, I assume it's because I don't facebook. I also don't use my phone for the internet, do not have location service turned on...it is just a phone.

14. Sailorgrl

Sailorgrl Members

I doubt anyone gives a flying poo what I'm doing. I do nothing wrong anyway, so if big brother is watching they're going to be sooooo bored. Haha, problem solved. I'm way too law abiding to worry about such things. Occasionally I feel like giving them the finger over something stupid they come up with, but I'm quite sure the government is well versed in being hated by now. They could care less what we think or want (until election time where they find that stuff out so we like them enough to cast those votes). Then as soon as guy A or B wins they go and do whatever the heck they want regardless of what they said they'd do during the election. More the fool are we falling for any of it ;)

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you must not be in the US. here, they don't even bother trying to be liked at election time, they just try to make the other guy be even more hated.

1 person likes this.
  16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Vast amounts of data are getting vacuumed up by corporations, and data aggregators are putting it all together to make a profile of individuals.

Data that is being collected just to advertise crap to us doesn't seem so bad. The problem is that there are almost no restrictions on what they collect or how they will use the data. In principle, if your data profile is "undesirable", it could be used to deny you a job, a loan, a school application, housing, a travel visa, insurance, etc.

It's also possible, for example, for a political candidate to pitch you one message, while pitching the exact opposite (or at least, very different) message to someone else. This isn't just theoretical, it's already being practiced. It's known as "narrowcasting", and while narrowcasting is used in all sorts of advertising, it's also being used for political candidates.

I recommend that anyone who is concerned about their privacy use a tracking cookie blocker, and use a non-tracking search engine.

If you have a mobile phone on Verizon's network, you may want to opt out of the Verizon Zombie Cookie, or drop them as a carrier all together.

1 person likes this.
  17. newbie-one

:grouphug:

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Uh, all you need to have is an illegal grow going on, and next thing you know the local police or FBI are monitoring everything you do.
    I know this is a fact, cause it happened to my neighbor, who is still being monitored (easy to see as there's an FBI Surveilence wifi signal on the street near his house).
    He got busted and LOST EVERYTHING including a big pile of money that he'd saved all his life.

So you really don't know what you're talking about and how invasive American society has become and how much privacy we've lost.

As far as bizness goes, again you don't understand the power of the data they've accumulated and what they are actually doing with it.
    If you think they're only using your data for their own ends, that's the least profitable thing they do with your data.

BIG BIZ is handing everything about you over to the gov't (for a price!) and if not, the gov't is taking it anyway thru backdoors into their systems, that's why those systems are so easy to hack, gov't backdoors everywhere!

BIG BIZ is also SELLING your info for PROFIT everyday. They'll sell it to ANYONE who wants it for a price!

And with BIG BIZ KEEPING all your info, they become targets for hackers who as you might've noticed have gotten into so many BIZ databases, they've now got nearly as much info as the NSA.

So now DOZENS entities have your personal info, and you don't even know who they are. They know more about you than you do. CC info, address, SS#, income, email addy, IP#, online accounts, etc.

Then there's the possibility of Sovereign powers hacking into such databases in order to gain access to your accounts and devices so they can be hacked. Like China or Russia.

Should we ever got to war with a high tech power, YOU could be a victim without even being a soldier.

LOTS of reasons to respect ppls privacy these days and the privacy movement is gaining strength every day.

19. newbie-one

Can you explain how this works? So if you look at the list of available wireless networks, there's one named "FBI Surveilence"?

1 person likes this.
  20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, that's because its mainly old people are the only ones voting and they respond better to people being bitchy and grumpy towards each other

21. PiscesCub

PiscesCub Member

Exactly that, I'm sure.

Actually, if the FBI were actively monitoring the guy, they would be on a concealed network. Anyone who sets up their own wifi could name the network "FBI Surveillance" and I'd be one to do that, just to freak some people out. But then, I can be a bit of a bitch some days. LOL

I keep an eye on what I post and share online. I am on FB, but don't post regularly, same with G+ and other social sites. I use pseudonyms for certain sites, to keep cross references to a minimum, and don't have those names written down anywhere. I've always kept my privacy in mind when working online and offline. I like to keep my secrets, and anyone else's, to myself. This has come in handy, as I have gotten some really good pics from guys who are really tight about sharing them. I keep them all, but keep them secured and accessible for my use only. It's not my data to share with others. It really is too bad that businesses and people don't have the same thought.