Privacy On The Internet

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Blu3sLady, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

That iphone of yours could be used to monitor your conversations at home or elsewhere, and..... the inbuilt camera could also be remotely switched on by spy agencies. I would switch it off completely or stick it in a box somewhere, because I don't trust the darned things.

1 person likes this.
  2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

wrap your iphone in tin foil ... it thwarts their efforts because the radio signal cant get through the foil.

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

who the fuck gives a shit what the vast majority of us are doing?
    kinda paranoid and conceited to believe you have anything of real value to any "spy agencies".
    LOL

oh that's easy.
    They farm your consumer data to send specific ads to your computer, phone r whatever. same with the supermarket and other retail "club cards", all they are doing is gathering marketing data so they can do more specific marketing targeting the items you are most likely to purchase.
    From a marketing standpoint it's an ingenious strategy because they save marketing dollars by not advertising items that are not going to sell in a particular market and further by providing coupons and other incentives to customers that they are actually going to use.
    It saves a fortune on gathering market analysis data and subsequent mailer or direct marketing campaigns, especially when it can be individually personalized and sent via e-mail, phone or at the store POS system itself.

I've worked retail since before the days of bar codes and back then companies used to spend a shit ton of $$$$ to gather the customer shopping data that is automatically collected now.
    I doubt there is any evil plot or motivations behind it other than what has been the root of all evil since the beginning of civilization...money.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I'm sure that makes conversations crystal clear as well.....

5. Backchat

Yes that's a very good idea, phone signals can't get through tin foil can they. The only roblem is though when you want to leave your phone working for incoming calls etc, that may cause a problem. But at least if it's in a cardboard box it will still work and you can hear it ring. Not so sure the cardboard box will prevent your conversations being heard though, so perhaps a little soundproofing might help there perhaps.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

BUWAHAHAHAHA!!!

7. AceK

if you sound proofed it then you couldnt hear it ring ... if you can hear the phone then that means they can also hear you ..

8. Backchat

Yes I agree with you you have a very good point there, but having said that though you never can be too sure who may be listening in and it wont necessarily be spy agencies. I'm thinking hackers here who are listening in and who are up to no good. I maybe a little paranoid yes but then that's just me I guess, having grown up in a time when this stuff didn't exist.

9. Backchat

Ah but you would still hear it ringing reasonably clearly, although your voice would sound too muffled to be intelligible to those listening in, because of the soundproofing reducing the microphone sensitivity.

10. AceK

even hackers wouldnt be interested in doing that tbh ... cuz theres nothing to gain from doing so.

theres two types of hackers, the one most people think of that are criminals, hack databases for credit card numbers and such to sell on the black market, this kind of hacker would find this a waste of time to eavesdrop on some random person. the other is the type that is simply curious and likes to tinker with things and maybe implement unorthodox ways to do ordinary things. this type of hacker means no harm to anyone and would be content with doing this with their own phone before someone elses, since to this hacker, hacking isnt the means to an end but an end in itself and the hack itself can be just about anything the hacker finds to be interesting.

11. AceK

then they could just "enhance" it .. whatever that means ;) they do it a lot though, i know so they do it all the time on shows like CSI where they enhance an image with some special algorithm they came up with on the spot to get non-existing pixels out of an image to show fine detail that was never there ;p.. so why couldnt it be done with sound (actually more plausible with audio maybe ... )

12. Backchat

Yes you have a very good point there, but having said all of that, I would still prefer to have my iphone in a place where the camera can't be used by a hacker to hack into my own private space.
    That's just me I guess super careful old me. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. AceK

by all means. cant be too careful. have you considered putting the phone in your pocket, or ur purse? wouldnt be able to see anything like that. still leaves the microphone dilemma though...

14. Backchat

Well of course that's absolutely true, but nevertheless the microphone is certainly a big problem regarding someone snooping on the sounds in your room, be they conversations or the other stuff you get up to. I certainly wont have an iphone in my bedroom full stop end of.

15. union4

union4 Guest

you can download free software at ghostery which provides a means of showing who is gathering info on you as you browse.you can also use it to block these intruders!

16. Backchat

Yes of course there is software you can use to block cookies and trackers, but if you want to go further and be completely invisible you will have to use a Virtual Private Network.

17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

If you think that's all it's being used for, you're being naive.
    Data mining has reached new heights these days.
    This data is being used for things you can't imagine (at present).
    The power it represents is unprecedented.
    And all the big players have made this data available to the government.
    And as these "big players" continue to get hacked, this data ends up in the public sphere for any bad player to access.

It all wouldn't be a big deal if the data could be KEPT in ONE PLACE SECURELY.
    But apparently the CLOUD is where it all goes now, or on non-secure servers in corporations.

And you see the results now... Ashley Madison is just ONE data breach.
    I'm sure there are dozens of big breaches A DAY, but you don't hear about your data being stolen because most companies won't admit they've been hacked.

You're only focusing on INDIVIDUAL business uses of that data.
    But once that data is combined with the data of hundreds of other businesses, you begin to see the possibilities available to those with access to it all.
    And any info on an individual can be viewed instantly, revealing all electronic interactions (including phone calls, emails, texts, even audio and video from your devices taken without your knowledge) going back as far as records exist.
    This is certainly available to the NSA, FBI and DEA, always.

BTW, don't be surprised if that new device you purchased takes your pic and voice print as soon as you turn it on the first time...
    And some apple and samsung phones now record your FINGERPRINT. Isn't that helpful?

3 people like this.
  18. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

What is a Virtual Private Network, Backchat?

I had a lot of fun spreading disinformation about me last night, Skip. I'm now over a hundred years old and in a couple of places I'm male.

Fingerprint from a phone? Oh hell, no.

1 person likes this.
  19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, Skip, I am certain there are many things going on in this world we are not aware of at the moment...i am recently told some tv's can watch you through the screen already...without you knowing....the walls have eyes......
    I just wish they would not follow me into the bathroom.... :D

Seriously.....it all sucks, I know.

20. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We still have the power to turn off electronic devices, pull all plugs and live by candlelight.....;)

2 people like this.