Privacy On The Internet

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Blu3sLady, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I looked myself up on google. I was shocked at the amount of private info that is 'out there'. You guys probably already know this but I didn't. There's a site that wants a fee to hide MY private info.

That's frikken' blackmail and it really doesn't hide anything, right? That site had my dammitahell FB Profile pic. Wish I'd NEVER EVER logged into FB.

I'm so angry I can hardly type. Once you've been out on the internet.. there's no way to disappear again, is there? I don't want some internet nutjob knowing my address and phone number. Hell, they could probably find out the name of my dog if they wanted to.

I'm screwed, right?

2 people like this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I never find anything on google about myself.. it kinda worries me if I even exist.. u think u got problems.. ;p

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Been reading about the: Right to be Forgotten being formulated for internet in Europe.

1 person likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

as long as you keep your real name off the internet as much as possible, internet nutjobs will be much less likely to find any real info on you. facebook profile pics are totally public, so it would make sense that any site that knows your name would have access to that. other basic info like address and phone number are usually available too. that's just the reality anymore. it's like being in the phone book, except it's a much bigger phone book.

i'm like orison, it's really hard to find myself on google. i have a relatively common name that is shared by a couple college athletes and a prominent doctor, among others.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

^^^ So you're not the prominent doctor?

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i am if you're paying...

1 person likes this.
  7. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Dr. Undies. Might be a doctor I'd actually trust!

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Does anyone have sudden freak outs that someone is viewing your webcam? So you get a post it note to stick over the cam? :D

I get like this when stoned.

9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

lol, ive been known to keep a sticky note on it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes! That's what I meant. :D

11. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Privacy on the Internet: No such thing. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Go back into FB and replace that accurate information with lies. Give the address of a vacant lot or a public library, and the phone number of a pizza delivery service. Some if not most of the other web sites will eventually update their info to match FB.

My laptop has had a piece of black tape over the cam since the day I bought it.

4 people like this.
  13. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I'm going to take Karen's advice and change all the info. And yep.. I have a piece of duct tape on my webcam.

I pulled any pic I have showing my face off FB and anywhere else. Not that it'll do any good.

FB now automatically tags you in pics your friends upload that have you in it... once they know what you look like. Face recognition software on a social site. Sheesh.

This whole revelation made me a bit paranoid... and I hadn't even been smoking any herbage! dammit

14. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

This proves exactly what I have been thinking for a very long time, it's amazing how people put all their personal info on the web for everyone to see and think it's not a problem. I can remember a time when none of this dissemination of personal information didn't happen as I'm sure some of you do to. I think it's absolutely ridiculous now how in the 21st century, all this personal info about you is being sold off to anyone who wants it without you even being asked for your permission to do so. Welcome to the bold new world of hi tech snooping, cameras everywhere, your location being GPS tracked 24/7, everything you do on the web tracked and monitored, your personal info freely sold off, so on and so on infinitum.
    I was in a hairdressers the other day and got chatting to this young lad in the waiting room who was staring at his iphone. So I asked him what he was doing and he said he was posting some pics of himself, so his 500 followers could see them on Instagram. Personal privacy for young people these days is sadly well and truly dead and buried, I guess they will live to regret it someday when it blows up in their face. When I was his age I only had 10 friends, and very few people outside my family knew anything about me in a very personal way. I guess they were the best times really, everyone back then just watched the telly and just got on with their lives in a relatively simple fashion.

2 people like this.
  15. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Covering your webcam(s) is great advice.
    But remember, your MICROPHONE is usually available to turn on remotely anytime.
    See if you can disable your microphone on your computer or device. Good luck!

They might not see you, but they can HEAR you!

Also the advice to put up bogus FB info is good too, but FB will keep your old info forever, but at least the public won't see it.

Yes, privacy is DOA.

BTW, the "Right to be Forgotten" isn't just being "formulated" it's the LAW in the EU.

I just had to remove a couple of threads about a doctor who got busted for growing pot (for his sick wife) because he was never convicted and has no record and the bust was 10 years ago.

It was posted on a site that resides in the EU, so I had to remove it by law, even tho the doc was a US citizen.

Even though the story of his bust still resides on Local news sites where he lives, I had to follow EU law on that... Plus I didn't see a good reason to keep those old threads.

4 people like this.
  16. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I think I have the remote option disabled. I have a relative who is a computer GAWD and he helped me with it. I'll go shut off the audio, too.. though, Skip. Thanks.

Backchat, that's the other thing that had me concerned. I have friends posting pics of their youngsters all over FB. Since they are easily found.. address.. phone number... just yikes!

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I have done a similar lookup but I used a service called instant checkmate. Instant Checkmate did its lookup and found results for my name but oddly it had a picture of someone else. Total misinformation. Was glad my info wasn't in its database.

I'm sorry you found so much about yourself. That must be frustrating. Just have faith that probably no one is maliciously seeking your private info.

1 person likes this.
  18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Just wait until we get a gov't that's HOSTILE to those who don't toe the line.

They will be able to determine who represents a threat to the "established order" with just a click.

The camps are already setup for these people. And I'm not talking illegal immigrants here.

Notice how some states like California want to give every illegal immigrant an ID card or driver's license.

They want EVERYONE residing in this country to be part of the SYSTEM, no matter who they are.

But realize that this kind of thing is already the norm in some European countries, like Switzerland.

You can look up EVERYONE in Switzerland and get personal info on them, apparently.

We need more Ed Snowdens in the INSIDE of BIG TECH BIZES (not just the NSA), to reveal how much info they have and what they're really doing with it.

5 people like this.
  19. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I have a relative that loves guns. He never shoots them... he's into collecting them like some people collect stamps. Most of them are black powder, anyway. Pretty harmless relics.

The only problem with this is that he's all over the internet talking about guns. And some of those sites are populated with wacko's. So, if the government that Skip describes (one of these days I'll get the quote option to work) ever happens, he's toast. And this is a sweet, gentle soul. He won't even step on a spider.. he'll get something to move it outside rather than kill it. Odd thing for a pacifist to collect but it is what it is.

This whole experience has me rethinking everything I do on the internet. I guess it's a good thing that it finally dawned on me.

20. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

well, that is the curse of the internet, unfortuneately.

I don't have webcam...did not sign up for it, and I would never have webcam....Are apple phones with a web cam feature or microphone feature that people can use that I know nothing about?