• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,871 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted October 16 2015 - 12:57 AM

i'm not suggesting we should never venture beyond the orbit of pluto/neptune.  that's not my point at all.  what is, is that we need to leave our infantile "god's chosen" arrogance at home if we ever do.

if only because the odds are at least even, if not a great deal more then even, that we'll find it getting punched back down our thoroughly deserving of getting our asses kicked throats, unless we do.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#22 meeses

meeses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted October 18 2015 - 04:20 AM

Rumours have it that we (humans) already are shooting down (or trying to) other spaceships. That in itself isn't conquering anything but only defending mother earth from malevolent species. That being said, I think some may have made it through the star war screen, let alone if they were already here before the US got set up. :) speculating !

#23 scratcho

scratcho

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts

Posted October 18 2015 - 11:49 AM

Where would the oxygen be coming from when humans even try to get to Mars, let alone some 73,000,000 mile trip? I think it's all a dream, emanating from grandiose optimism, in which humans stand supreme. Compared to what MAY be in existence, we DO have enough sense to lift our feet when stepping up on a curb without tripping. Well, most of us.

And let's say---for conversation's sake, all barriers to space travel were completely overcome-----and it's time to go. Who goes and who stays? Think you and I would be eligible?

When this joint has reached or exceeded its limit of habitation----adios elite--have a nice trip.

Edited by scratcho, October 18 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#24 Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted October 18 2015 - 12:09 PM

You guys think we'll ever see pictures of the andromeda galaxy in our lifetimes? 

And think about how cool it is we can already look at HD photos of pluto (Our FURTHEST planet!) from the comfort of your home:

nh-pluto_crop.jpg.png?itok=oB17-32Q

Source http://www.nasa.gov/...ages/index.html

So of course we have to go beyond our solar system now

• porkstock likes this

giphy.gif

•“Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.” ~Proverb
•Now what we have is choice, to become that which will become

#25 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,453 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted October 21 2015 - 03:01 AM

You guys think we'll ever see pictures of the andromeda galaxy in our lifetimes? 

Yes, but those pictures will be made in our own solar system (on earth or in orbit).

Posted Image

#26 quark

quark

Just another freak in the freak kingdom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted November 17 2015 - 06:16 PM

There are plenty. 

http://hubblesite.or...leases/2015/02/

#27 rjhangover

rjhangover

• PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Locationin the studio

Posted November 24 2015 - 11:44 AM

New Horizons, the mission to Pluto has already happend 133 days ago. New Horizons is now headed out beyond our solar system at 36,373 mph

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

Currently, no spacecraft have yet left the solar system.

The boundaries of the solar system are undefined, but most astronomers believe it is at the point where the Suns gravitational influence has no effect. This is about 2 light years from the Sun.

Voyager 2 - the furthest a man made spacecraft has ventured is only 0.001443 light years from the Sun in 2010.

#28 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,297 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted November 24 2015 - 12:13 PM

CGI.

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#29 Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationLittle Village, Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted January 12 2016 - 10:46 PM

if humanity, ventures beyond earth's solar system, with the same arrogant attitude, as exemplified, by america's foreign economic policy, with which europe set sail, less then 700 years ago, to "discover" the western hemisphere, and the rest of our planet, that the universe and everything in it, is somehow ours for the taking, let me put it this way: "god", will NOT be, "on our side".

the rest of the universe, which may stretch to infinity and beyond, is there to discover, certainly, but it is NOT there, to be ours to take.

bigger, badder, older, more advanced and more powerful civilizations, then anything we can even begin to imagine, we will find, have long since learned to coexist, in cooperation with each other, to protect themselves, from just such evil, as we, with such an attitude, would represent.

don't EVEN imagine, that our technology to get us there, when and if, we should happen to develop it, would dazzle a universe unoccupied, or less advanced then ourselves, but rather it would be, more like a band of south american tribesmen, from several hundred years ago, in one small canoe, 'discovering' modern day new york, london, or paris.

(the analogy of an ant, crawling up an elephants leg, with rape on its mind, suggests itself)

i'm sorry but i belive in a god, or whatever else may happen to exist, that is NOT on the side, of the euro-american attitude, that, we, as humans of planet earth, are any more the end all and be all of existence, then our earth is flat, or the center of anything.

First the Vikings discovered over here around 1600 years ago. You sound like a United Stateser. I refuse to call ya an american cause ya all dont own north or south or central america. I'm a canadian and i'm from america... the north one... united states does not own the name america... sorry to spew on your thread but life is funny and the internet is fucked!

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST..."

Frank Zappa

-----

SpaceTrippin had technical difficulties, but he's back again

#30 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,871 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted January 13 2016 - 05:16 AM

First the Vikings discovered over here around 1600 years ago. You sound like a United Stateser. I refuse to call ya an american cause ya all dont own north or south or central america. I'm a canadian and i'm from america... the north one... united states does not own the name america... sorry to spew on your thread but life is funny and the internet is fucked!

that's fine, but you seem to have forgotten, the meritime archaic, the contiki people and the bearing ice bridge migration,

(and there may yet have been still others, lost to the mists of time) 'discovered' the western hemisphere, at least ten thousand years before vikings either.

and had their own nations, cultures, and ways of life, just fine, before they were 'discovered' by anyone.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company