Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

This is one case where I'm glad democracy is dead. The GOP isn't yet desperate enough to run someone who is essentially an independent trying for legitimacy by pretending to be a Republican. They didn't run Ron Paul and they're not going to run Trump. As much as prominent members continue to embarrass the party, none of their presidential candidates have ever been true circus acts... they're moderates trying to say the right things to get elected, and then it's business as usual in country where government is far too weak to ever really do anything except support the corporations.

If Trump does get elected, he's going to get a rude awakening... politics isn't the same thing as big business, and you actually have to work WITH people instead of just bossing everyone around.

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

A 2012 report by the by Center for American Progress and Rob Paral and Associates estimates it would cost $285 billion over 5 years to deport all illegal aliens.

In 2013 the by Center for American Progress projected that providing legal status to the illegal aliens would boost the GDP by $832 billion over ten years and the increase in personal income over those ten years would be $470 billion.

In March of 2015 the self proclaimed right wing American Action Forum estimated that deportation of the 11 million illegal aliens would take 20 years, cost between $420 and $620 billion, result in a real GDP decline of $1.6 trillion, and reduce economic growth by 5.7%.

The Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics of the University of California has long been focusing on a shortage of farm labor. The 2008-09 shortage resulted in sharp wage increases in 2012.

In July 2015 Ben and Jerry's was picketed in Vermont because of unsafe work conditions and lack of any days off, some illegals work 12 hours a day seven days a week.
    In Florida, California, North Carolina, Georgia, and South Carolina illegal workers are organizing against poor working conditions, unsafe produce, substandard housing, and sexual harassment.

Most farm workers are paid below minimum wage as they are not covered by Federal wage laws, much work is seasonal, and involves migrating to follow the crop.

So bearing all this in mind how many good citizens are there that are flocking to these jobs???
    On August 23rd 2015 the Western Growers trade association reported a 15 to 20% shortage of farm workers and predicts that it will get worse.

2 people like this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So wait, are illegal immigrants marching into this country with guns drawn forcing people to give them jobs? Or are businesses voluntarily employing them over American citizens because profit is the bottom line at the expense of the America worker?

I feel like anyone who truly cares about this issue would be advocating huge fines or even seizures for any business employing illegal immigrants, not wasting their time railing against some of the poorest and most desperate people in the world.

4 people like this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

if we opened the flood gates and they couldn't find jobs they would go back home.

this is really more of an issue of globalization. Corporations love cheap labor and they can draw on it from any third world country they want - it isn't really that there is a large supply of very cheap labor, but rather there is a very high demand for it. If they weren't finding the labor pool in Mexico and central America they would just find it somewhere else.

6. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

That's con propaganda to discourage liberal voters from voting, like last year. Bet it don't work next year.

7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

We're already there. Net immigration over the last several years has been at or near zero.

But... a national border without viable security is an absurd concept to me. We have to do better.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What?? Where are you getting this from???

I guess either you trust the government's numbers or you don't. I guess I don't.

1 person likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If the situation in the USA is at least as good as where they came from it is likely that a certain amount won't go back home, job or not.

10. Pressed_Rat

Yup. Why have a job when you can just get freebies from the government (i.e. the US taxpayer)?

1 person likes this.
  11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you really can't just write off all the world's problems by saying "oh that was the cons."

tupac's dead, it was the cons.

my team lost the super bowl, it was the cons.

my milk spoiled in the fridge, it was the cons.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. Pressed_Rat

LOL, right?

I assume he's just being a troll. Or so I would hope is the case.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont really believe this for those who come specifically to work. For those who come to escape violent situations, sure, squatting under a bridge or hanging out in a deportation center is probably preferable. But those who come looking for work come so they can send money back to their family. I dont think they would choose to live away from their family if they weren't helping them. The united states is not the big welfare state some say it is. Without a social security number you can't qualify for food stamps, section 8 housing, entitlements of any kind really. As far as healthcare all you can do is go to the emergency room so I find it hard to believe people come here for our healthcare. Its all about the benjamins, basically.

14. Pressed_Rat

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If two big parties benefit from this two party system the propaganda that helps lowering the chances of some real change through voting might come from both those 2 parties :p Although I can't believe this would be done in an obvious way (so it would be done just secretly or very subtile) because it seems to go against what a proper functioning democracy is supposed to be about. Which would make it ironical and hypocritical for a government or political party to advocate not voting at all...

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Earlier, I meant to say specifically Mexican immigration. I'm sure there is a net positive number from the Far East, for example; mostly high skill people.

During the last economic downturn, net Mexican immigration was actually less than zero for a while.

^^ this ^^

17. newo

Can we get back to Donald Trump?

So farmerdon, or anyone else for that matter, are you considering voting for him?

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

We've been talking about his favorite subject in campaign speeches. He really is obsessed with immigration and border security.

19. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Funny how the cons have been blaming everything on Obama since the day he took office. The Iraq war, the collapsed economy, the national debt, ISIS, Iran, healthcare, Benghazi, Social Security.

But all of those problems were caused by the cons. Raygun tripled the national debt. Shrub daddy doubled it again in only four years. Clinton balanced the budget, which Shrub Jr. destroyed in his first six months giving $3 trillion in welfare to millionaires. Then Shrub Jr. doubled the debt yet again adding more than all presidents together in the history of the U.S.. And he destroyed the whole U.S.and global economies. AND HE DID IT WITH A REPUBLICAN CONGRESS.

But you say I can't blame the cons. Only a con would say that.

3 people like this.
  20. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Not that Trump's doing anything except catering to fascists who think they aren't, but it's amazing how few people understand that Obama's amnesty for illegals order was primarily about saving money.

It's going to cost everyone $200 billion to deport all illegal immigrants... is Trump going to pay for some of that? Is he going to raise taxes on the rich?

I'm not holding my breath.

21. newo

So you're saying you wouldn't vote for Donald Trump!

22. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Trump is a fucking moron...

3 people like this.
  23. Riotgirl18902

Riotgirl18902 Banned

Trump plays the game of leading blind sentiments. The vote plays the game of toying with hopes. Voting does not influence policy but serves as a lottery for the right to say, I got satisfaction. However we see it is more like buying a bar of soap for a dollar with the promise that you might find a prize of five. Even if you do find five dollars in the bar of soap it will be spent and you are left with a bar of soap and the grind of daily life to contend with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.