Humans Are Not Able To Manage The Technology They Create

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by slipperyhippy, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes I agree you are probably right about all of that, however this is a topic about humans are not able to manage the technology they create, so that's what the debate is all about I guess. :)

2. 3827

3827 Members

<script>window.alert("test")</script>

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

and this is why that didn't work:

<div itemprop="commentText" class='post entry-content '>
    <!--cached-Sat, 21 Nov 2015 02:20:28 +0000-->&lt;script&gt;window.alert("test")&lt;/script&gt;

<br />

</div>

the angle brackets are escaped, it's called sanitizing your inputs.
    http://php.net/manual/en/function.htmlspecialchars.php

[​IMG]

4. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

Thats how we evolve. It aint gonna haapen tomorrow. Now that we has the begininning of it we can now find the problems with it and some day in the far off future get it right.

5. PJ1783

PJ1783 Member

I love it!

6. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

Thats the human paranoia cause theres so many humans on this planet that are lost in their lives with they're insecure life that it actually comes out into our "normal" society... and I say normal through gritted teeth.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

uhmmm, what?

8. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

too many people is not the problem. poor allocation of resources is the source of *many* of our problems.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Just because someone creates some new technology doesn't mean they will use it responsibly. Most technology is also available to people who would never create such a piece of technology themselves. It is a miracle how well it often goes :p (no excuse for when it goes wrong btw. It is just if we are looking at it that way we're not doing that bad)

10. Space_Trippin

Space_Trippin Banned

Science and Religion has to be one, or we will never escape this lowly knowledge we have today.
    If they join, we will all become free and rid of our superstitions and become the true free beings we are meant to be!

11. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

http://www.sott.net/article/311253-Tipping-point-for-workerless-agriculture-Worlds-first-robot-run-lettuce-farm-to-produce-30000-heads-daily

[SIZE=.7em]© Spread[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1.25em]Future of Farming[/SIZE]

The future of farming has arrived. It's vertical, soilless, and run by robots.

Tech Insider reports World's First Robot-run farm will harvest 30,000 heads of lettuce daily.
    [SIZE=1.25em]Go Vertical[/SIZE] The Japanese lettuce production company Spread believes the farmers of the future will be robots.

So much so that Spread is creating the world's first farm manned entirely by robots. Instead of relying on human farmers, the indoor Vegetable Factory will employ robots that can harvest 30,000 heads of lettuce every day.

Don't expect a bunch of humanoid robots to roam the halls, however; the robots look more like conveyor belts with arms. They'll plant seeds, water plants, and trim lettuce heads after harvest in the Kyoto, Japan farm.

The Vegetable Factory follows the growing agricultural trend of vertical farming, where farmers grow crops indoors without natural sunlight. Instead, they rely on LED light and grow crops on racks that stack on top of each other.

In addition to increasing production and reducing waste, indoor vertical farming also eliminates runoff from pesticides and herbicides — chemicals used in traditional outdoor farming that can be harmful to the environment.

The new farm, set to open in 2017, will be an upgrade to Spread's existing indoor farm, the Kameoka Plant. That farm currently produces about 21,000 heads of lettuce per day with help from a small staff of humans. Spread's new automation technology will not only produce more lettuce, it will also reduce labor costs by 50%, cut energy use by 30%, and recycle 98% of water needed to grow the crops.
    [​IMG]
    What starts with lettuce, won't stay with lettuce. Strawberries, cabbage, tomatoes, beans, eggplant, and many other vegetables can be grown this way.

Potatoes, peanuts, and things that grow in the ground may be off limits. Corn is too tall with acreage requirements too big.

Vertical Farms Half the Size of a Wal-Mart

Also consider Indoor Vertical Farm Half the Size of a Wal-Mart.
    [​IMG]Matt Matros reads about the 34,000 bags of spinach Dole just recalled and shudders. A Salmonella contamination never would have happened on his farm.

Matros is CEO of FarmedHere, the largest indoor vertical farm in North America. At 90,000 square feet, the Bedford, Illinois farm is a leader in a growing agriculture movement that grows crops without soil and sunlight. Instead, these crops are grown indoors, where they're always monitored and kept away from harmful bacteria.

FarmedHere also prioritizes locally sourcing its produce, Matros says. It wants to deliver its herbs and leafy greens to consumers living at most 200 miles away, as part of a larger mission to reduce its carbon footprint.

In Matros' eyes, the move follows in the footsteps of the fast-casual chain Chipotle, which recently updated its mission to source from farms at most 350 miles away.

With 18 FarmedHere facilities, 75% of the US population would fall within that 200-mile radius, ensuring the produce can reach consumers quickly.

So far, the main crops are basil, mint, lettuce, and kale. Those are the low-hanging fruit that are easy to grow, Matros says.

Without the hassle of Mother Nature's changing climate, farmers can enjoy year-round growing seasons indoors, using less water, fewer pesticides, and avoid biological invaders that cause diseases like Salmonella, Escherichia coli (E. coli), and Listeria.

The company is anticipating an industry-wide tipping point a couple years down the line in which the winners are the local farmers who can provide nutritious food to nearby residents who need it, taking a big chunk of all long-haul trucks filled with produce off the road for good.
    Tipping Point

Instead of digging deeper and deeper wells in the California desert to grow things, water in these farms is 95-98% recycled.

And commenting on labor issues, Matros points to Amazon's use of factory robots: "We're going to have that in our next farm, which will be open in about a year."

Japan will have similar technology in a similar timeframe.

The tipping point for worker-less agriculture has arrived.

1 person likes this.
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"it will reduce labor costs by 50%." And there's the main reason for the use of robots in industry. I saw it when I worked in the Ford plant on the assembly line. Management had regular people that tried to combine different jobs on the line--to eliminate some positions. That's what they did THEN---. Now you can see on the boob tube--the very positions that I and others did --completely done with robotic arms. Pretty obvious where this is all heading. And the men/women that were displaced? Who knows. They're not working at the Ford plant any more is all I know.

13. Bud D

Bud D Member

Maybe not everyone will want the chemically loaded lettuce heads.

Chances are most of us won't even know where I food comes from.

For the most part technology is good, as I like what's in my house. I don't own a car and have a very small carbon footprint.

14. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Yeah, I prefer my iceberg lettuce to be H2O free. :clown:

1 person likes this.
  15. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Do we actually know now. [​IMG]

16. Bud D

Bud D Member

I know where my avocado's come from, due to the sticker. Some things I know but I buy cheap and not very local.

17. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Soylent Green

19. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Amazing how much reality has been perceived from Sci fi novels of the past.

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider