Aroma Lamp Scent.... Can't Smell It ?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by skribb, Aug 11, 2015.

1. skribb

skribb Member

Hi, I don't really know which forum works best for my issue but I figure a lot of people meditate with aroma lamps so they might be able to give some pointers.

I have an aroma lamp (the typical candle-type) that I use with essential oil. It works, because obviously, why woulnd't it? But I have a really strange phenomenon in my home. In the sofa where I WANT to sit while relaxing into the aroma scent, I can't smell anything from the aroma lamp.

It's like my sofa is a bermuda zone. Even if I place the aroma lamp 10 cm from the sofa, I still can't smell anything. Everywhere else in the apartment I get a strong scent from the aroma lamp.

Has anyone had an experience like this? I'm totally baffled by it. :dizzy2:

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It could possibly be soaking up the scent of your lamp much like a teabag soaks up odor??

I think incense is your friend. :)

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If this is your biggest problem in life though, id say its going sweet.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Yuk, that shits bad for your lungs.

5. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

This happens to me when I've had too much zinc. Like when I'm trying to tame a cold. Zinc lozenges totally screw up my sense of smell.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

How bad does that sofa smell?

7. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

LOL

8. skribb

skribb Member

Interesting, but I doubt that's it. Obviously I don't sit inside the sofa... i'm on top of it which means my nose is in the air and not at floor level. I don't like incense, but I've only had patchouli I think. maybe i should try other scents of incense

Why did you come to that conclusion? I'm having one of the shittiest times in my life if you really must ask, coming off a really bad "relationship" and other things :)

Essential oil is bad for your lungs? I did not know that

Umm well that's not my problem since if I get off the sofa and stand in the same room I can smell the aroma lamp

lol, I actually haven't washed it since I got it 3 years ago, and it's very sweat-stained from countless warm nights (i sleep on it). I would die of laughter if my sweat stains are counter-acting the aroma lamp

9. Tyrsonswood

Problem solved...

Meditate in a different place, or get a different sofa.

10. skribb

skribb Member

Don't jump to conclusions my friend.

I still don't think that's what's causing the problem, but I'll wash it and see what happens.

There's one thing that I haven't mentioned and that is that the corner of the sofa where I usually sit is also very cold (compared to the rest of the apartment of course, it's still very humid in my place), which I think MIGHT coincide with this phenomenon. I have actually located the source of the low temperature to my cable wall plug which is near by. If you put your hand in front of it you can feel a cold draft coming from inside the wall, pretty weird stuff lol. But then again my tiny building is a cheaply built 8-apartment barracks.

Will report back to prove you all wrong!!!!!!!! or the opposite, whichever happens to be true.

11. Tyrsonswood

Cold draft could be causing the scent to drift... Insulate that wall plug.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Feels like the response to me was the only rude response. -.-

13. skribb

skribb Member

I'll keep that in mind, thnanks

Well to be fair I thought your theory was strange, but I wasn't rude, more like neutral. however as someone who is a very sensitive person, I can relate to you what you felt and I am sorry if you felt belittled or similar. Truthfully I value all input since it means more knowledge and data for me to collect :)

14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Well, you are essentially {giggle} vaporizing oils. Tiny spheres of condensed oil droplets are going into your sinuses and lungs.
    Some oils are worse than others...do you know exactly whats in your essential oils?

15. skribb

skribb Member

Ok, I'll have to google that to make an informed decison, thanks for pointing me in that direction!

I have no idea what's in my oil, it's just called Relax, but according to the manufacturer it's supposed to be certified by

European Pharmacopoeia
    , whatever that means

16. Tyrsonswood

It means your aroma oil is okay to use around your cat....

17. skribb

skribb Member

You seem somewhat cynical, but I know what youre getting at

18. Tyrsonswood

Cynical is my middle name...