10 replies to this topic

#1 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted August 05 2015 - 12:50 AM

Can someone tell me more about Quantum Physics?

What is it, what is the future for it, and what kind of a employment outlook does it have?  And how hard is it to get a job in that field?

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#2 rjhangover

rjhangover

• PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Locationin the studio

Posted August 05 2015 - 08:31 AM

Quantum physics is just a theory. About the only jobs in the field are physics professor. There's a few other jobs studying black holes, dark matter and the super collider  in Switzerland.

#3 quark

quark

Just another freak in the freak kingdom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted August 10 2015 - 08:29 PM

Check out Richard Feynman, Lawrence Krauss, and Brian Greene.

http://www.worldscienceu.com/ (An initiative started by Brian Greene)

MIT's undergraduate physics courses (Classical Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism, Vibrations & Waves) are on youtube in full.

#4 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,958 posts

Posted August 10 2015 - 10:41 PM

I am very interested in quantum physics.....the field is exciting to me.

It seems I cannot know enough and neither can we yet.

#5 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted August 11 2015 - 04:21 PM

Quantum Physics is the study of physics of the very very small, study of subatomic particles. 

I assume it's pretty difficult to get a job in, as a lot of it deals with very complex physics and formulas.

It seems quantum physics has a very bright future, a lot of ideas are featured on shows such as Through the Wormhole and various Science magazines. However from what I've read, it seems the various 'schools' of  ideas surrounding Quantum Physics become rather 'trendy' and go in and out of popularity in the field. Some of the Pop Quantum Physics stuff relies on equations, which have yet to be physically verified and perhaps really will not likely be verified in the near future, so from an outside perspective, there seems this kind of no-(wo)man's-land in Quantum Physics, which I don't know if is good or bad in terms of pursuing the field(s) as a career.

Bvztpo7.png

#6 IRQ42

IRQ42

Scientia Potentia Est

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Locationsegmentation fault

Posted August 15 2015 - 09:59 AM

Quantum physics is a theoretical field, pretty much all of the "jobs" in quantum physics are academic careers .. basically you stay in school.

"Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand"

In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion ...

If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
restrict the use of these programs.
-- Richard Stallman

https://github.com/IRQ42/
Posted Image

#7 neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast

• PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted August 15 2015 - 10:24 AM

Quantum physics is magic.  It has a bright future, but where you're going you don't need employment.

#8 Peteey

Peteey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 17 2016 - 10:06 AM

There is alot more to be explored. For example with quantum computers we would be able pretty much to see the future (predict wheater accurately) 

#9 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted November 17 2016 - 11:02 AM

Quantum mechanics is the most wildly successful physical theory of all time, the dream of the alchemists. With the exception of mass and gravity it describes everything else known with an accuracy of parts per billion. Its future is limited because a Theory of Everything is likely to replace it in the near future or, at least, require major revisions to the theory. It is used in every branch of the sciences and possibly all of engineering as well. There is even a branch of psychology known as Quantum Cognition that uses a simplified version of the math to explain otherwise inexplicable experimental results. I would never recommend anyone in the US study quantum mechanics or any of the sciences with the goal of working in the field because the US just imports all the talent they want from other countries and the competition for jobs is fierce. Either you really like the field or you don't, but the best jobs in the US these days are in management and handling money because we import anything else we might need and other countries often pay more of the cost for college.

Edited by Wu Li Heron, November 17 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#10 Alise69

Alise69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 24 2016 - 04:50 PM

Wow, I truly feel enlightened when I read this sort of stuff...

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop