Ant-Man

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Ant-Man
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    August 4, 2015

I wasn't in any great hurry to see this first Ant-Man movie. I have accepted much of the comic book evolution in movies, but when I was a nerd kid into comic books in the Golden Age, we only had Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. (Which means I should see all of my old super friends in December with "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.")

All these characters in the Marvel Universe have only been known to me in the movies. But, I figured if I could suspend disbelief enuf to accept men with no super powers except for their fantastic technological suits like Iron Man and Batman, then I should be able to accept Ant-Man.

The movie starts in 1989 with scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) resigning from his colleagues who are trying to break his secret of shrinking technology. He knows that this knowledge would be weaponized with dire consequences. He is later forced out of his own company by his protégé Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) who is also trying to break the secret.

Then we encounter Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) a very smart former systems engineer in prison for a burglary where it turns out he stole from some legal crooks like those on Wall Street and gave the money back to their victims. He gets released but can't hold a job because no one wants to hire an ex-con. He can't pay his child support for his daughter and is denied visitation by his ex-wife.

So, he ends up joining in a caper with his former cell mate Luis (Michael Peña) and a couple of his petty criminal friends who have inside tips on this old guy's house with a safe in the basement. Of course it is Hank Pym's house and all that is in the safe, which Scott breaks easily, is an old motorcycle jumpsuit.

Scott Lang Steals Ant-Man Suit
    [​IMG]

He takes it home and tries it on discovering some frightening effects, making him sneak the suit back into Pym's mansion.

Scott Tries on Motorcycle Jumpsuit
    [​IMG]

Lang and Pym eventually meet and Pym recruits him to break into Cross' lab facility, steal the technology that Cross has managed to create and destroy all his info on it. When Lang asked why he doesn't get the Avengers to do that, Pym lets him know he does not trust Stark with his secret either.

Lang & Pym in Lab
    [​IMG]

To do this caper, Lang has to go thru some training with the suit, with communicating with ants and some martial arts training that he gets from Pym's daughter Hope (Evangeline Lilly), who has attitude toward him and her father.

Finally, he is ready and the action begins.

Ant-Man Flying
    [​IMG]

Obviously, I skipped a lot of details here. If you want them, then go see the movie.

I will tell you that I enjoyed the movie immensely, perhaps because Paul Rudd was the protagonist and he either contributed to the script or they wrote it for his wry sense of humor. There were also a couple of comic moments with Michael Peña. It was a light action fantasy movie and looks like a sequel in the works, if not one involving The Avengers.

(And you know to sit thru the credits for the final scene)

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ill pass...........