Paper Towns

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Paper Towns
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    July 28, 2015

I got back into town last Wednesday and between jet lag and the remnants of a cold, I haven't been getting out to the movies. There are three that I wanted to see this week and Paper Towns was the one showing at the time I got to the Cinema.

I saw the trailers and it looked like an enjoyable teen movie, which I usually enjoy despite having grown grandsons. (except this one had the teen buddies singing some Pokemon song, something about which I am totally clueless).

The story opens when Quentin "Q" Jacobsen (Josiah Cerio) is a kid in the Orlando, Flroida 'burbs totally smitten by the sight of his new neighbor, Margo Roth Spiegelman (Hannah Alligood) moving in. They are about the same age and do play together, except Q is a timid kid and Margo is carefree and adventurous, which sort of stifles their relationship as they grow older.

Then they are in high school and barely speak to each other, tho Q (Nat Wolff) still has a crush on the very attractive Margo (Cara Delevingne). But Q is a timid nerd who studies hard for college and hangs with his two nerdy best friends Ben Starling (Austin Abrams) and Marcus "Radar" Lincoln (Justice Smith).

3 BFF in School
    [​IMG]

Then one night Margo comes into Q's bedroom thru the window and says she needs to use his car - and him to pull off some revenge against her cheating boyfriend. The nerdy, timid Q is hesitant but follows the very confident Margo shopping for an eclectic bunch of stuff to wreak havoc on those who wronged her.

Margo & Q Buying Mischief in Store
    [​IMG]

He is an accomplice to her mischief and enjoys it. Whether Saran wrapping one former friend's car or putting a club lock on her cheating boyfriend's car and then calling her former best friend's parents, forcing him come running naked out of her house where he was cheating on her, then getting a pic from the bushes, for the first time Q is experiencing life on the wild side.

Margo & Q With Attack Cam
    [​IMG]

After this night of adventure, Q expects a new relationship with his long-time neighbor Margo but she doesn't show for school. After several days she is eventually declared missing as a runaway by her parents who have been thru this before.

Knowing how Margo has always solved mysteries and left clues to her previous disappearances, Q goes on a search. He and his buddies find some clues and a map that leads them to New York state. The three friends, plus Radar's GF Angela (Jaz Sinclair) and Margo's pal Lacey (Halston Sage) decide to do a driving marathon to find her.

Road Trip
    [​IMG]

This was a fun movie and I think perhaps a portrayal of teens coming of age, tho I could not believe the affluent lifestyle of kids who didn't seem to be working. Stealing your mother's car for a road trip is one thing, but also a credit card for gas & food and other expenses? My parents woulda called the cops and an APB on the car. Do kids really have that kind of liberty today? Anyhow, with suspension of disbelief, I enjoyed it.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I want to see this movie, I enjoy a good teen flick myself. How was Cara Delevenge's acting skills? I think she's very beautiful.and I really appreciate her for bringing beautiful bushy eyebrows back into fashion lol

1 person likes this.
  3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

To me she is one of the most obnoxious celebs out there.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

she probably is, I dont know much about her. I just like her eyebrows

5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Sounds like a pretty good movie. I think I'll go see it soon.

I thought bushy eyebrows had been in for quite a while now. A couple of years even. I'm practically bald in the eyebrow department unless I let my Vulcan points grow back, so I remember being saddened by this.

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

That's a trend I fully support.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lucy Hale is the first celeb I noticed sporting the thick eyebrow look and that was when she guest starred on how I met your mother years ago, so I guess she probably started the trend.

My eyebrows are a little sparse from.years of plucking so I fill in the bare parts with powder but I also really hate when eyebrows are obviously filled and drawn in. It should look at least somewhat natural

Sorry to hijack your thread with eyebrow talk, shale.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Keira Knightley and Hilary Rhoda and Charlotte Casiraghi did it for me

9. Shale

Shale ~

I think she was perfectly cast for the role and her appearance conveyed someone daring, exploring, bold, mysterious and maybe a little crazy. May not have been so much acting ability as an image that fit the role.

[​IMG]

The first of the bushy eyebrows on women that I was aware of was the young Brooke Shields and I believe it was an issue commented on at the time. I think they are beautiful but I am a weird guy who likes unshaved pits on women as well.

[​IMG]

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was referring to young celebrities who are bringing the trend back but yes I agree Brooke Shields started it all! She is gorgeous.