Cheap Ass Family Members

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by msveryberry, Jul 20, 2015.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

So there's a kid with a 101 fever and the problem is AC? And badly washed dishes?

Take a page from room renters, get a dishpan for your own dishes.

In your situation, OP, I'd get a window unit for one bedroom, and keep Little One there.
    Start looking for a new place to live. There's too much irritating you for you to be happy.

On the subtopic of AC generally, in humid places, I'm inclined to appreciate it. I still get too damn cold quickly at work.
    But in dry locales, I advocate a dual fan system, one blowing in, one venting out. I lucked out and got a unit that is two fans, both able to be intake or outgoing. It's as effective as coolant systems exempt on the worst days.

3 people like this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

What is your favorite type of flower? Roses? Carnations?

What about sunshine and rainbows? Do you like sunshine and rainbows?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Wildflowers...

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I had all the AC in the house off last night. used passive window fans, like drummy ^ suggested .. being that it was 56F, AC wont reject the heat outside because its not warm enough..
    basically pulling all that cooler air indoors, house will stay cool most the day if the windows and doors closed. I dont live in a place where there isnt any noise, and city filth .. so the AC acts like a white noise machine and hepa filter also. now only the hallway chiller is on low..

when I lived out the country, I didnt have AC, no window types or anything like that. nights out there were always 20degrees cooler. little circular fan blowing on me during the night. I was just fine. Couldnt do that here. would get me sick and make my MS take off when temps are over 80 indoors. Outdoors I seem to be ok when moving around, I couldnt sit in a car without AC.

no AC in this house it would stink like 100yr old paint, as well the painted walls become sticky to the touch. With the amount of water damage Ive had. Ive to keep a low dew point the best I can for a while.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Do you get the weird brown/Amber drips that I think are previous resident tobacco/pot tar?

7. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

We have window a/c in the living room, and master bedroom in a 2000+ sq ft house. Most homes here do not have central air. As soon as the sun goes down, we open windows and use fans to cool the house down for the night. When my kids were babies, I kept a box fan in their room. We lived in the desert and it 110-115 and the evaporative cooler could only do so much. Fans, light clothing and kiddie wading pools got my kids through the summer just fine.

Fixing a central air unit is rarely cheap. Plus, if it is too hot outside, central cooling will only do so much. Setting the thermostat in the low 70's on a 90+ degree day can, and often will, freeze the compressor causing the unit not to work well (until the compressor thaws again) Basically, cooling units are good for about 20 degrees or so, depending on house size, model of unit, trees shading home, insulation, etc. They also need to be clear of debris, and bushes, so they can get adequate air flow. So, if weeds are blocking it, time to get rid of them. I would suggest changing filters as well. They aren't that costly, and if the OP wants a cooler home, spend the money to try to help get it that way. Ducting, get a long handle duster and vacuum cleaner and try to clean them out, or just dust the covers. There are things to try, that might work. Bitching rarely fixes an issue, even with valid points.
    Upkeep in an a/c unit falls to renters usually, unless the unit is actually broken. So filters, cleaning, etc, is all on the renter. Worth the $10 filter and some labor cleaning if it helps.

1 person likes this.