Cheap Ass Family Members

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by msveryberry, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I agree...some people are spoiled but...I didn't grow up spoiled at all. I didn't have shit. I can't even tell you guys how many times I stood in line for free food or came home to find the water or electricity turned off after school. I wore the same clothes for 3, 4 or 5 days in a row because it was what I had to wear. I got made fun of for it. I can't even guess how many times I was absolutely humiliated because of things out of my control.

But...now days...I'm not rich by any stretch but I'm also definitely not poor. I am fairly comfortable but I give away more money, objects and time than I would have ever needed to feel like I was fortunate as a kid. I'm happy to do it. It gives me a purpose...but....I'll not go without AC or heat when I can easily afford it and I won't feel even a little bit bad about it. I live my life in extreme temperatures throughout the year....-25 wind chills to 120 degree heat index. It can be almost unimaginably brutal. Being at home is my favorite place in the world and I will be comfortable when I get there. I don't care how much it costs or if I look spoiled. Home will be comfortable at least for the time I get to be here.

1 person likes this.
  2. msveryberry

msveryberry Members

Thank you everyone for your suggestions & input. I have used frozen water bottles wrapped with a cloth and put it on the back of my neck to cool down and it helps. I have also freezed reusable ice cubes for my daughter to play with/chew on/cool down and it works wonders for the heat as well as her teething gums. If youre a parent, those things are magical!!

I use to live in NYC and now I live only 30m away but still in NY that is why cost of living is so much. I have a kitchen/living room, 2 bedroom and a bathroom so its not bad for the price. I would just appreciate it if his relative who currently owns the house would be more considerate. She is generally a dirty person. Her floor upstairs is not clean. The dishes are icky even after washing probably because of poor cleaning. Everything is junk and feels like a motel upstairs. Its like you would have to bring your own shampoo conditioner body wash. She also never fixed the water softener so the water in the house is definitely not drinkable. We have to fill water jugs at the family restaurant in another town and bring them home to cook with/boil water and drink only bottled water. I mean come on!!!!! She works at the restaurant and yet her fridge upstairs is always nearly emptyyyy. She can at least prepare food for her kids to eat. I heard once her son fainted and told his teacher he didnt have food to eat because she went to China for a year. It is ridiculous. I can go on and on and on about the kind of person that she is. On the cover, shes nice and wants to seem like she has it under control but really, she doesnt. It is just annoying and so not worth the money and headache.

ANYWAY my main point is by today, my daughter has been really needy and fussy. I also noticed she was hot not just sweating hot but her body felt heated. I didnt really think anything of it until about 130am when she woke up and I fed her milk that I decided to take her temperature and it is now 101.3 degrees. my poor little baby. We have an air purifier/fan thing in our room and its always on to clean up the air and cool down the room but its just not enough. I dont want to point it directly on her either bc I do not want her to be sick. I've given her some tylenol and shes sleeping now but I am worried. Hopefully, she willl be better by tomorrow.

I am not being unreasonable at alllll for asking for AC. I too know what it feels like to be in extreme cold and extreme heat. I have suffered enough growing up, I do not want my daughter to go through what I went through. Part of being a good parent is to give our children much better things than what we had and I aim to do just that. Its senseless to make your kids suffer just because youve suffered. I would do anything for my daughter and now I understand and am so grateful for my parents because they wanted the best for me too and though I didnt realize it sometimes, I fully do now. =]

I know this has gone way past the topic of my problem with the AC. but I really have to vent and this started as a rant. So I apologize for how long it is and thank you for reading.

3. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I hope your daughters fever comes down soon!

1 person likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I grew up in a house without central AC. We didn't even buy a window unit until I was 10 or so and even then it was just in one part of the house. So I'm not spoiled but I also never plan to live in a house without AC again. It pretty much sucks and when humidity is hovering close to 100 % and its 100 degrees for several consecutive days a fan isn't really going to do shit.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mattekat

Ok now it's time for my rant I guess. I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I am really bad at that, so I'll start by saying please don't take offence.

I thought this forum was for hippies. Don't hippies love the planet? The amount of electricity we use just for air conditioning is staggering and the amount of gas used in car AC units is also a ton.

Contributing to global warming, just so we can all use more AC in the future when the world is hotter sounds insane to me. But none of you will ever live without it again and when it's hot you will blast it day and night.

I understand it maybe for the few hot nights, especially with a fussy baby, but not just blasting all summer. The human body is supposed to adjust and get used to these temperatures. With air conditioning we are forced to readjust every time we enter or exit a house, so we never really get used to how hot it is out.

Sorry but I couldn't hold that back. I see that attitude about so many things and it is killing our planet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

LOL

7. Ashalicious

What do you like?

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

places like Dallas Texas Miami Florida wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for air conditioning.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its owned by hippies

but almost everyone is welcome to join the webcommune that is hipforums

he likes ......

to complain a lot :p

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

LOL @ "the few hot nights." Where do you live? We don't have just a few hot nights a year here. Its pretty much unbearable from May through the end of September. Houses in the south were built for heat before the days of central air, nowadays houses are stifling without AC, and like orison mentioned AC controls the humidity too. My house would grow a shit ton of mild within one summer without AC.

I do care about the environment though. I turn the thermostat up to 80 during the day and keep it around 76 or 77 when I'm home. I really only turn it on when the heat starts to creep into the 90s. I dont think that's very unreasonable. I also think there are other things in this world that are bigger contributors to climate change. If you own a car you're a bit of a hypocrite to criticize people for using AC.

1 person likes this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

*mold, not mild. Didn't feel like switching browsers to edit that ( I can only quote on one browser, edit on another lol)

12. Mattekat

I live where it's about 40c (I believe that's over 100f) all summer, without factoring in humidity, and I do just fine. And places like Dallas probably aren't any hotter than Australia is in the summer and they don't use air conditioning the way north Americans have convinced themselves they need to.

13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Can't say what other people have convinced themselves of.....I only know about me.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Your location says Canada though so by all summer you actually mean 2 weeks.

jk jk

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

James Harrison invented the Ice Machine in 1859 in Melbourne Australia .. He would only be succeed by Willis Carrier in the United State in 1902. Carrier invented the modern air conditioner. Carrier worked in a printing place. In order to keep the ink from running. He learned how to remove humidity which later became known among engineers as the "law of constant dew-point depression..

16. Mattekat

I'm currently in Penticton bc, which has a climate much more like the Arizona desert than anything. Just a bit more humid though. And the winter here is extremely short and nothing really freezes or snows. Back home in Ottawa the summers are still about 3 months of blistering heat with near 100% humidity. Ottawa is a horrible place of extreme weather... -40c in the winter and 40c in the summer.... just don't go there.

17. Wizardofodd

I don't keep the AC blasting all summer. If it's nice out, we open the windows. I should have maybe clarified that a little better last night but I was kind of rambling along.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Trees,
    Birds,
    Moss covered rocks,
    Deer,
    Ferns,
    Meadows,
    Gardens,
    Deep woods...

Stuff like that...

I love my house. Speaking of... last summer I removed 3 room air conditioners and put the original windows back. I'd rather see the outside, than useless boxes. AC makes my joints and bones ache. I don't like things that make my bones ache.

I have quite a few guitars I like, amps and effects to go with them. Recording equipment...

A good Garden tractor or two...

Practical stuff... Not plastic fluff or plastic people.

That too...

Now... Get off my lawn!

5 people like this.
  19. Ashalicious

What about flowers? Do you like flowers?

20. Wizardofodd

He's totally down with flowers and...he did say meadows so I assume that means flowers too.