How To Link Together Plastic Bottles To Make A Bench?

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by pattymary, Jul 11, 2015.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

I am trying to make benches out of plastic bottles, i am looking for the way to link them together, i thought i could use some fishing line and a needle to kind of saw them together, does somebody have an experience with that?
    I am trying also to buld a greenhouse out of plastic bottles, i want to know how to put the bottles in line to make the walls filling the wooden frames, can somebody help me to get some info about all this, i am really looking for pratical techniques, i have the pictures already!!!

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i cant remember using it on plastic and i have no idea how stable it is in direct sunlight but gorilla glue has never let me down yet when i need to stick things together

the amber honey looking original formula seems to be the best

[​IMG]

4. tallend

tallend Members

Is this glue a two-component one? Or jsut a hard fixer? Hmm, never heard of that before. Well I would use maybe wire - that would be the at least affordabel way to do it.

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Gorilla Glue is not two component like Epoxy is.

6. pattymary

pattymary Member

thank you everybody, but i don tknow where to find that gorilla glue, I started to link the bottles with fishing thread..It is kind of working..I am experimenting with this right now..

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Home depot has gorilla glue. Glue alone may not hold up to the torsion forces that may be experienced. If you can link in sort of a criss-crossing pattern and keep the threads tight this may give you the rigidity that you need. Glue could be added for reinforcement.

8. pattymary

pattymary Member

thank you, Ace, but I am not in America, no Home Depot in my surroundings!!!
    I too believe in kriss-kross patterns, I am experimenting all this!!
    Give thanks for your answers!

9. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

pinterest

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

it doesn't work very well with plastic, it needs to be a porous material because when it is activated with water it expands into the pours, cracks and crevices of the materials.
    With a relatively smooth surface it will easily snap off of plastic.
    For wood you can not find a better glue, the wood will break before the glue joint will, but for plastic, glass, etc. it won't work.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I seem to recall an eval of different glues and Gorilla Glue didn't come out so well compared to other (cheaper) brand versions of the same product.

Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane water activated glue, most tests show it's not water proof, only resistant, and not any stronger than Elmer's ProBond yellow glue which is a polyvinyl acetate. Its main use is for woodworking.

I would look into filling the bottles with sand which will give them thermal mass and weight which will help hold them in place just as bricks are held in place by gravity. You could even use different colors of sand for design purposes.

I think Silicone II would stick them together as it sticks to just about anything and is good from -60 to 400 degrees. But it would probably get expensive. My wife uses it to stick diner plates together to make yard flowers.

But, for the bench I think I would fill water bottles with sand, lay them on their side and use cement (mortar) to build layers, just like bricks. You could even build forms for special shapes and remove the forms when the mortar dries.

For the green house, I'd do the same. Except that you could possibly use rammed earth instead of mortar. Check out Mother Earth News articles or Youtube under rammed earth building, perhaps.

You could also use dirt, Styrofoam beads, water, or anything else you can think of to fill the bottles. In the green house leaving some empty, or filled with water would admit light.

But....if you are in an area that experiences freezes you must use antifreeze in the water and make sure your dirt or sand is dry before putting it in the bottles.

do a Google on building with water bottles and you'll find tons of examples, instructions, and tips.

Here's one pdf that gives the instructions for a greenhouse put together with plastic bottles, 6 foot garden canes, some lumber and staples.
    http://www.nead.org.uk/downloads/pdf/bottle_greenhouse.pdf

13. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I think it would be more pragmatic to buy a secondhand kitchen bench/ cupboard from a garage sale.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I worked as a fabricator for a plastics fab shop and I gotta tell you, that kind of plastic doesn't glue well. Thermoplastics in general don't glue well.

The other thing is, the plastic will break down and become brittle after a period being exposed to UV's from the sun and someone might break it when they go to sit and possibly get cut by the sharp edges.

Noble project but a waste of time ( and glue) IMO

15. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It's a polyurethane glue. It activates with water and expands before it's fully cured which makes it hard to control. It makes ugly stains on wood and obvious glue joints.

I wouldn't use it anywhere it couldn't be hidden, lol.