My Husband Is Trying To Get Funding To Publish An Art Coloring Book Of His Drawings.

Discussion in 'Art' started by gypsy_queen79, Jul 10, 2015.

1. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Here is the link for his "project" on Kickstarter. http://kck.st/1O0fiws

He lost his job a couple of weeks ago, and while still looking for work, he decided to take the extra time, and work up art to get published as a coloring book for adults. (Not "adult" that way. It's just more detailed than the usual children's level coloring books.)

His artist page is on Facebook, where you can see more updates of his work. www.************/J.W.GordonARTIST

Have a look. Support, share and help him reach his goal.

Thanks in advance.

:daisy:

1 person likes this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'll share it with two of my friends on facebook who like adult coloring.

3. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Thanks. Its very geometric/abstract. :daisy:

4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Most writers and artists salivate for the moment when some wealthy benefactor will support their creativity. That moment is as common as the average black kid earning a spot in the NBA. But for some reason the myth persists. The more successful in the modern age are the self-publishers. Attempting to crowd-source money for someone who seems to have traced lines onto nature is pretty slim. Sure, it's geometrically pleasing, but does it really show talent above high school? While $5000 might make trailer life easier, it's hard to take seriously.

5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Maybe it should be adult in "that way". I bet you would get more funding.

6. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Wow, GeorgeJetStoned, way to be insulting!
    I'll have you know, hes never traced a thing in his life.
    I also don't appreciate the trailer trash reference.
    Maybe your should follow the old addage that "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

1 person likes this.
  7. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Let me be clear. Constructive critique is welcome, but I'm not about to tolerate those who spew their vitriol from drinking the hateraid.

8. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

40.5 days left!!

9. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Well, it wont let me edit my posts, so I'll just add a new one.

Kickstarter only pays out if 100% of the goal is reached. So, many people could be contributing, but have to wait the whole 45 days to have the amount taken from their banks. I hate when that's happened to me, so why would we want that for anyone else?
    Plus, if we manage to get say 90%, thats enough to publish most of the goal, so why not publish what we can?

So, we are transitioning to GoFundMe....... http://www.gofundme.com/zge6m78

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I've supported Kickstarters, and I ran one for a greenhouse.
    The money pays through Amazon payments within hours of a successful campaign.
    No make? No pay.

They kept around 4 percent for administrative.
    We made the goal just under the line. As in 30 minutes.

11. drumminmama

If someone like it enough to support, does it matter the education?
    I'm thinking of some pretty lame but popular things on Etsy that sell like crazy.

12. GeorgeJetStoned

I agree, Etsy is not crowd sourcing though. And while I have seen some nice things on Etsy, I have also seen some junk. I just wouldn't want to see someone creative decide that they aren't going to create simply because nobody wants to support them. Seems to me that a real artist, secure in their work, would work at McDonald's if that's the only way they can afford to keep their creativity moving. Sitting around waiting is sitting around doing nothing. Art is not much of a world for gold diggers.

13. Mattekat

But she said right off the bat "while still looking for work"... It sounds like he has been creating his art for a long time without being published or supported, and I highly doubt he's going to stop creating art if he doesn't get enough funding. I think you are being highly critical of someone who had an idea to turn what they love into a job. If it doesn't work out for him so be it, but do you have to go crushing a guys dreams?

2 people like this.
  14. GeorgeJetStoned

I wasn't trying to be personal at all. And dreams are great, but when you try to turn them into an occupation, reality bites. I have seen plenty of good artists have to dump the dream because they didn't get their house in order. Without some kind of infrastructure the art will suffer. DaVinci had the Medici family, but he was an exception, not the rule.

15. Mattekat

I must have a skewed perception of reality or something. I come from a family of artists living their dreams successfully and I can only imagine how shitty our lives would have been if someone had told my parents or my aunt or my uncle or my brother or anyone in my family really the things you just said. I don't think the possibility of failure should ever stop someone. I'm sorry if your dreams didn't pan out, but I don't think that's a reason to tell people that it will never work for them. His dream doesn't even sound that farfetched. He's paying for the publishing (or crowd funding for it or whatever), it's not like he expects some huge publishing company to pick up his work and dump a pile of money on him.

Besides, he's still looking for a job. I call that getting your house in order. It sounds like he just has a bit of extra time on his hands in the meantime, so he can finally pursue this. Too many unknown variables for all of this judging.

Oh and gypsy queen, I saw a stand at the market last Saturday where the we're selling colouring books for adults and it looked relatively popular! I mean there wasn't a giant crowd but people seemed very interested and their sales were pretty good. I hadn't heard of adult colouring books before this thread, but now I'm seeing hem everywhere lol.

16. GeorgeJetStoned

I guess it would have been better to simply say "yea, that's a great idea, you surely deserve lots of money for your work" and left it at that. Instead I called it as I have seen it personally. Self-publishing is a better plan for such a thing. Waiting around for external support is not. It's actually a great deal more heart breaking than my words. I applaud the artistic members of your own family who have managed to build their craft in a criticism-free bubble.

You should hang a blue #5 in a window. Then call him and say that you understand, but there's still no way. On the blue moon light a candle and eat a fig.

17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I clicked on your link and saw the fingerprint for kickstarter....awesome!
    I wish your husband all of the luck in the world with it....

18. drumminmama

I was an artist's wife. Fiber arts.
    While he was not completely against picking up a disposable job in a kitchen, he sort of enjoyed the forced socialization, it took valuable daylight time away from producing his art, and the time neded to market his work. He brought in about the same dollar figure as finding some place to sell his wares renegade. ( we often worked deals with musicians who lobbed his work that we would man the merch table for the right to move our stuff, but small festivals worked too.)
    More often, I supported the family on my two jobs. A professional, degreed job by day and a weekend gig with a venue.

I was the patron of my ex. Thankfully, we could move some of the works, as he was willing to keep making the wearable forms of his work. For a while. Once that stopped, it became increasingly difficult to keep the bills paid.

Eventually, he decided on a "retirement or second honeymoon" batch of his work. This batch would either be his last, or his first in a new phase. I was hoping he'd fall back in love with his process.
    He was far more interested in creating the live paintings than the dyes that built his life as an artist.
    He set a specifc number of pieces (all custom) and took preorders.
    He took an appalling two years to fill the orders. That was the beginning of the end for us.

Basically, he used crowd sourcing. This was 2006-07.

19. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

20. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member