Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop
Photo
- - - - -

My Husband Is Trying To Get Funding To Publish An Art Coloring Book Of His Drawings.

Kickstarter Art Drawing

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 10 2015 - 07:13 PM

Here is the link for his "project" on Kickstarter. http://kck.st/1O0fiws

He lost his job a couple of weeks ago, and while still looking for work, he decided to take the extra time, and work up art to get published as a coloring book for adults. (Not "adult" that way. It's just more detailed than the usual children's level coloring books.)

His artist page is on Facebook, where you can see more updates of his work. www.facebook.com/J.W.GordonARTIST

Have a look. Support, share and help him reach his goal.

Thanks in advance.

:daisy:

• Moonglow181 likes this
Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,292 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted July 10 2015 - 07:23 PM

I'll share it with two of my friends on facebook who like adult coloring.

#3 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 10 2015 - 07:40 PM

Thanks. Its very geometric/abstract. :daisy:

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned

Free Psychotic Readings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted July 10 2015 - 08:08 PM

Most writers and artists salivate for the moment when some wealthy benefactor will support their creativity.  That moment is as common as the average black kid earning a spot in the NBA.   But for some reason the myth persists.   The more successful in the modern age are the self-publishers.  Attempting to crowd-source money for someone who seems to have traced lines onto nature is pretty slim.  Sure, it's geometrically pleasing, but does it really show talent above high school?  While $5000 might make trailer life easier, it's hard to take seriously.

Edited by GeorgeJetStoned, July 10 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#5 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 11 2015 - 12:04 PM

Maybe it should be adult in "that way". I bet you would get more funding.
"Life is change. Have some fun."

#6 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 13 2015 - 10:33 AM

Wow, GeorgeJetStoned, way to be insulting!

I'll have you know, hes never traced a thing in his life.

I also don't appreciate the trailer trash reference.

Maybe your should follow the old addage that "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

• Ashalicious likes this
Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 13 2015 - 01:45 PM

Let me be clear. Constructive critique is welcome, but I'm not about to tolerate those who spew their vitriol from drinking the hateraid.

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 14 2015 - 03:43 PM

40.5 days left!!

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 15 2015 - 12:27 PM

Well, it wont let me edit my posts, so I'll just add a new one.

Kickstarter only pays out if 100% of the goal is reached. So, many people could be contributing, but have to wait the whole 45 days to have the amount taken from their banks. I hate when that's happened to me, so why would we want that for anyone else?

Plus, if we manage to get say 90%, thats enough to publish most of the goal, so why not publish what we can?

So, we are transitioning to GoFundMe....... http://www.gofundme.com/zge6m78

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted July 16 2015 - 10:32 PM

I've supported Kickstarters, and I ran one for a greenhouse.
The money pays through Amazon payments within hours of a successful campaign.
No make? No pay.

They kept around 4 percent for administrative.
We made the goal just under the line. As in 30 minutes.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#11 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts

Posted July 16 2015 - 10:35 PM

Most writers and artists salivate for the moment when some wealthy benefactor will support their creativity.  That moment is as common as the average black kid earning a spot in the NBA.   But for some reason the myth persists.   The more successful in the modern age are the self-publishers.  Attempting to crowd-source money for someone who seems to have traced lines onto nature is pretty slim.  Sure, it's geometrically pleasing, but does it really show talent above high school?  While $5000 might make trailer life easier, it's hard to take seriously.

If someone like it enough to support, does it matter the education?
I'm thinking of some pretty lame but popular things on Etsy that sell like crazy.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#12 GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned

Free Psychotic Readings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted July 17 2015 - 07:00 AM

If someone like it enough to support, does it matter the education?
I'm thinking of some pretty lame but popular things on Etsy that sell like crazy.

I agree, Etsy is not crowd sourcing though.  And while I have seen some nice things on Etsy, I have also seen some junk.  I just wouldn't want to see someone creative decide that they aren't going to create simply because nobody wants to support them.  Seems to me that a real artist, secure in their work, would work at McDonald's if that's the only way they can afford to keep their creativity moving.  Sitting around waiting is sitting around doing nothing.  Art is not much of a world for gold diggers.

#13 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 17 2015 - 07:08 AM

I agree, Etsy is not crowd sourcing though.  And while I have seen some nice things on Etsy, I have also seen some junk.  I just wouldn't want to see someone creative decide that they aren't going to create simply because nobody wants to support them.  Seems to me that a real artist, secure in their work, would work at McDonald's if that's the only way they can afford to keep their creativity moving.  Sitting around waiting is sitting around doing nothing.  Art is not much of a world for gold diggers.

But she said right off the bat "while still looking for work"... It sounds like he has been creating his art for a long time without being published or supported, and I highly doubt he's going to stop creating art if he doesn't get enough funding. I think you are being highly critical of someone who had an idea to turn what they love into a job. If it doesn't work out for him so be it, but do you have to go crushing a guys dreams?
  • gypsy_queen79 and Ashalicious like this

#14 GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned

Free Psychotic Readings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted July 17 2015 - 07:31 AM

But she said right off the bat "while still looking for work"... It sounds like he has been creating his art for a long time without being published or supported, and I highly doubt he's going to stop creating art if he doesn't get enough funding. I think you are being highly critical of someone who had an idea to turn what they love into a job. If it doesn't work out for him so be it, but do you have to go crushing a guys dreams?

I wasn't trying to be personal at all.  And dreams are great, but when you try to turn them into an occupation, reality bites.  I have seen plenty of good artists have to dump the dream because they didn't get their house in order.  Without some kind of infrastructure the art will suffer.  DaVinci had the Medici family, but he was an exception, not the rule.

#15 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 17 2015 - 07:49 AM

I wasn't trying to be personal at all.  And dreams are great, but when you try to turn them into an occupation, reality bites.  I have seen plenty of good artists have to dump the dream because they didn't get their house in order.  Without some kind of infrastructure the art will suffer.  DaVinci had the Medici family, but he was an exception, not the rule.

I must have a skewed perception of reality or something. I come from a family of artists living their dreams successfully and I can only imagine how shitty our lives would have been if someone had told my parents or my aunt or my uncle or my brother or anyone in my family really the things you just said. I don't think the possibility of failure should ever stop someone. I'm sorry if your dreams didn't pan out, but I don't think that's a reason to tell people that it will never work for them. His dream doesn't even sound that farfetched. He's paying for the publishing (or crowd funding for it or whatever), it's not like he expects some huge publishing company to pick up his work and dump a pile of money on him.

Besides, he's still looking for a job. I call that getting your house in order. It sounds like he just has a bit of extra time on his hands in the meantime, so he can finally pursue this. Too many unknown variables for all of this judging.

Oh and gypsy queen, I saw a stand at the market last Saturday where the we're selling colouring books for adults and it looked relatively popular! I mean there wasn't a giant crowd but people seemed very interested and their sales were pretty good. I hadn't heard of adult colouring books before this thread, but now I'm seeing hem everywhere lol.

#16 GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned

Free Psychotic Readings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted July 17 2015 - 12:33 PM

I must have a skewed perception of reality or something. I come from a family of artists living their dreams successfully and I can only imagine how shitty our lives would have been if someone had told my parents or my aunt or my uncle or my brother or anyone in my family really the things you just said. I don't think the possibility of failure should ever stop someone. I'm sorry if your dreams didn't pan out, but I don't think that's a reason to tell people that it will never work for them. His dream doesn't even sound that farfetched. He's paying for the publishing (or crowd funding for it or whatever), it's not like he expects some huge publishing company to pick up his work and dump a pile of money on him.

Besides, he's still looking for a job. I call that getting your house in order. It sounds like he just has a bit of extra time on his hands in the meantime, so he can finally pursue this. Too many unknown variables for all of this judging.

Oh and gypsy queen, I saw a stand at the market last Saturday where the we're selling colouring books for adults and it looked relatively popular! I mean there wasn't a giant crowd but people seemed very interested and their sales were pretty good. I hadn't heard of adult colouring books before this thread, but now I'm seeing hem everywhere lol.

I guess it would have been better to simply say "yea, that's a great idea, you surely deserve lots of money for your work" and left it at that.  Instead I called it as I have seen it personally.  Self-publishing is a better plan for such a thing.  Waiting around for external support is not.  It's actually a great deal more heart breaking than my words.  I applaud the artistic members of your own family who have managed to build their craft in a criticism-free bubble.  

You should hang a blue #5 in a window.  Then call him and say that you understand, but there's still no way.  On the blue moon light a candle and eat a fig.

#17 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,520 posts

Posted July 17 2015 - 12:58 PM

I clicked on your link and saw the fingerprint for kickstarter....awesome!

I wish your husband all of the luck in the world with it....

Edited by Moonglow181, July 17 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#18 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts

Posted July 18 2015 - 06:41 AM

I was an artist's wife. Fiber arts.
While he was not completely against picking up a disposable job in a kitchen, he sort of enjoyed the forced socialization, it took valuable daylight time away from producing his art, and the time neded to market his work. He brought in about the same dollar figure as finding some place to sell his wares renegade. ( we often worked deals with musicians who lobbed his work that we would man the merch table for the right to move our stuff, but small festivals worked too.)
More often, I supported the family on my two jobs. A professional, degreed job by day and a weekend gig with a venue.

I was the patron of my ex. Thankfully, we could move some of the works, as he was willing to keep making the wearable forms of his work. For a while. Once that stopped, it became increasingly difficult to keep the bills paid.

Eventually, he decided on a "retirement or second honeymoon" batch of his work. This batch would either be his last, or his first in a new phase. I was hoping he'd fall back in love with his process.
He was far more interested in creating the live paintings than the dyes that built his life as an artist.
He set a specifc number of pieces (all custom) and took preorders.
He took an appalling two years to fill the orders. That was the beginning of the end for us.

Basically, he used crowd sourcing. This was 2006-07.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#19 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 22 2015 - 11:19 PM

http://twitter.com/jwgordon76

http://www.gofundme.com/zge6m78

Ten plus images now!! More on the way. (I'm watermarking them and cleaning up edge flares from the photo scanner)

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 28 2015 - 10:41 AM

He was offered a deal by a publisher, and since we weren't getting many hits on his Kickstarter OR GoFundMe, he took it.

He is paid entirely in small royalties, but its a start.

Please, follow him on Twitter http://twitter.com/jwgordon76  and Facebook http://www.facebook....W.GordonARTIST

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#21 SeductivelyDoesIt

SeductivelyDoesIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 11 2015 - 08:26 PM

Just wanted to say that the drawing on the link wasn't my cup of tea, but your husband clearly has talent and I love adult colouring. He should continue even if just as a hobby I think it's a great idea.

• gypsy_queen79 likes this

#22 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted August 11 2015 - 09:27 PM

I was an artist's wife. Fiber arts.
While he was not completely against picking up a disposable job in a kitchen, he sort of enjoyed the forced socialization, it took valuable daylight time away from producing his art, and the time neded to market his work. He brought in about the same dollar figure as finding some place to sell his wares renegade. ( we often worked deals with musicians who lobbed his work that we would man the merch table for the right to move our stuff, but small festivals worked too.)
More often, I supported the family on my two jobs. A professional, degreed job by day and a weekend gig with a venue.

I was the patron of my ex. Thankfully, we could move some of the works, as he was willing to keep making the wearable forms of his work. For a while. Once that stopped, it became increasingly difficult to keep the bills paid.

Eventually, he decided on a "retirement or second honeymoon" batch of his work. This batch would either be his last, or his first in a new phase. I was hoping he'd fall back in love with his process.
He was far more interested in creating the live paintings than the dyes that built his life as an artist.
He set a specifc number of pieces (all custom) and took preorders.
He took an appalling two years to fill the orders. That was the beginning of the end for us.

Basically, he used crowd sourcing. This was 2006-07.

Sad story 'mama...thanks for supporting an artist for awhile.

#23 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts

Posted August 13 2015 - 06:56 PM

Sad story 'mama...thanks for supporting an artist for awhile.

It is what it is.
He's dyeing again.
I wish him well.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#24 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted September 01 2015 - 03:55 PM

His book will be available tomorrow, September 2nd, 2015 ON AMAZON!!!

It is called WILD ANIMAL PATTERNS.

http://www.facebook.....W.GordonARTIST

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted May 01 2016 - 02:40 PM

I'm not the one under contract, so I can say this.

Any issue with the paper or ink quality is on the publisher. I personally scanned in EVERY SINGLE ONE to send digitally to the company. I know that they received a black inked, 100% quality digital copy.

They got him into a contract and then didnt put it out for a few months.

Then, they skipped some pages on the first release, Upon re-release they lowered the cost and some have said they also lowered the print quality.

They have not promoted the way they promised when he signed on. In fact, other than listing it on Amazon and putting one link on their facebook, they have not marketed or promoted it AT ALL.

I for one can't wait for this contract to run out.

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#26 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts

Posted May 01 2016 - 05:33 PM

Reality is writers finance their own reading tours. Publishers haven't done that except for their cash cows in years.

Are images in Pinterest? instagram? Where are you promoting the book, aside from here?
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#27 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted May 02 2016 - 07:16 AM

We were supposed to only use Facebook and Twitter. I did this thread before his contract. The company is supposed to have exclusive marketing and promotional rights outside of his FB and Twitter. Like I said though, I'm not the one under contract.

Had we known it would turn out like this, we would have waited and self-published. At least then we could have copies to sell at craft fairs and the like. As it sits, he had to PAY for his own copy.

Edited by gypsy_queen79, May 02 2016 - 07:17 AM.

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 26 2016 - 07:09 PM

Well, that ship has sailed. No activity from the sales.

He has been able to get a job, but only part-time with his health issues, which have increased. The latest development was an overnight in the ER and a CT scan.

I lost the job that I had and have also been unable to get a new one.

Now, we have less than a month before we lose our home.

I have a GoFundMe for that, just enough to keep the wolves at bay for another month or so.

Please, keep your negativity to yourselves.

We REALLY need help. This is an EMERGENCY.

https://www.gofundme.../GordonHomeHELP

Edited by gypsy_queen79, July 26 2016 - 07:10 PM.

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted July 27 2016 - 12:10 AM

I kept trying to make a new thread, but it kept resetting, so I just added to this one.

Before anyone starts on the "get a job" track AGAIN, please know that my husband has one. It is part time, but his health has declined in such a way that that is all he can handle. I on the other hand, even with some restrictions due to a back and shoulder injury, have filled out no less than 286 applications in the last 90 days alone. Effort is being made, but at this point it wont do any good.

Peace & much love

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kickstarter, Art, Drawing

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice