Retron 5 Gaming Console

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Irminsul, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So few may remember I bought a SNES and it just didn't work on any of our new tvs. We got sound and no picture. I tried many cables. Bought cables. Bought tools and couldn't find anything wrong. So it's kinda just been sitting there for 6 months.

Someone said I should buy one of these modded things that plays old games. So a little research and I think I found exactly what I'm looking for. A Retron 5 it is called. Apparently plays all original NES SNES Gameboy and Sega cartridges. It's also fitted with HDMI output to 720resolutions etc. so it seems like the perfect fit my problem. Anyone ever used one at all? And am I correct in assuming it's designed for newer tvs?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I bought it. :)
    And it's meant to play the American cartridges as well as PAL.

Cool. :)

Now I just have to wait for delivery. :D

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

if it has HDMI then yes its designed for modern TVs. I sure do hope that it works out. I googled the machine and it actually sounds pretty cool. its also cool that it plays both standards.

should look better in 720p too, tho personally i kinda enjoyed how bad those old games looked on a non flatpanel TV ;) The TVs back then were generally way smaller so u didnt notice the low resolution but there was a certain quality to the graphics that you just dont get with modern TVs.

hopefully it will play the NES games well. it not hard to play a NES game better than a real NES though, basically its just gotta work at all lol, almost all NES u can buy today have lots of problems and worn out.

4. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Good idea getting the retron 5 and not one of the earlier ones. The earlier versions have a crappy wireless controller, whereas the new one is through blue tooth so the reception is great.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm excited. And the more I read into it the cooler it sounds. I should have done this in the first place and I really like the idea that it only plays originals. I had to ring the seller and he said the black one wasn't available but I took the grey one and he threw in a sonic game for free or something. I'll probably throw stickers all over it anyway so I don't care, plus I assume it's just a skin and everything comes with new skins these days.

But yeah, I think I like the idea. Now I just wish I never sold all our old stuff. I had heaps of Gameboy, NES, SNES games. I sold on eBay for nothing and then when I tried to buy back years later I as shocked at how expensive those games are. Almost 100€ for some games. 0.0 I sold for like 5% of that. :D

This one also comes with a 8gb SIM card that's apparently loaded full of cheats. Dunno how it works. But I like the idea I might be able to screen shot my games. :) also now all the dorky flight sim games only released in America I can play. :D

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Got it yesterday. Postman had me worried and i had given up but he came along just as I'd given up for a shower.

Console plays more evermore and battle toads cartridges fine and that's all I did, boot them up to see how it went. Both are in color and displaying correctly on my Tvs. I'm excited. I just need more games. :d

7. fjdreams

fjdreams count chocula

Hey Irm, I have some NES and Sega games you can have if you want.

1 person likes this.
  8. hotasphaltblisteredsoles

hotasphaltblisteredsoles  

Just for informational reasons, it might be necessary to set the video input to use Composite Video, if the default is HDMI.