Your Family Crest / Shield

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Irminsul, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

How many have one? :)
    What's it look like?

Mine is generally depicted in red/white or black/white with golden parts and almost always depicted with two keys in the shield facing opposite directions.

If you have one I'd love to see it, but I know you'll be giving up your family name in the process hehe so description will do. I'll throw mine up if we get a good response. :D

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

those don't exist in my country.

if i had to pick a logo to represent my family, it would probably be this:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh okay, I didn't realize that living in America automatically stripped you of your cultural heritage.

If you know your heritage, you may still have a crest no matter where you are. Countries and nations may change, your crest doesn't.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, it really does. i think "culture" is considered a dirty word in these parts.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

its a knight head on top with a white horse in red background below spoke-wheel and some silly leaf things on the side..

1 person likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They're never silly! You should research the meanings. :)

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my s.c.a. device: embordered aur, on a field vert, in base a tree aur, with haycorns vert with stems guels, in chief, a brace of winged cats, rampant guardant, aur, with staves raguly argent.

my hessian ancestors were of course blankshields. i'm not sure the kaenigsbergs, they probably have in interesting one. never thought to look in up.

andrews i think would be clan ross, they have a tartan, again i don't know it, and then my father's hedanoshanee mother's mother, i don't know her spirit afinity either.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

People from the wilds didn't have a family crest...

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I tried looking it up but I found 3 different crests online. Probably they're all BS dreamed up by a company wanting to make money out of genealogy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Pick one and do a google image search... You'll find the same crest with everybody's name at the bottom.

1 person likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

depends on how you choose to define the term. not a midevil european arms certainly, but other equivalents can take many forms.
    "the wilds" is kind of a generic term too. most european peasants didn't exactly have one of their own either.
    the principality of hess wasn't exactly 'the wilds', nor was nathan teal exactly what you'd call a peasant, being the top ranked hessian who served under general sullivan.
    but the hessians WERE "military contractors", hence the term "blank shield". i'm pretty sure the kaenigsbergs had some kind of thing going on in the short lived days of the polish empire.
    at any rate, many indiginous cultures do have, moyity identity symbols, and these would, in any functional sense, map to the concept of a family crest.

12. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

One of my parents comes from a pain up the arse upper class background, titles and all that pathetic shit.
    The family name is famous in that country.

My aunt sent me some bullshit on lineages and family crests etc.
    I saw the email and didn't even read it. I just thought "what a load of pretentious bullshit".

I think its pretty lame when people go around saying "do you know who my father/grandfather/great great grandfather is/was".
    Why don't these people have a pride in what they created/did themselves instead?

2 people like this.
  13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Don't have one.

#commonpeople

14. Tyrsonswood

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

16. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

My father's family is a red shield with a gold ^ separating the shield and 3 gold fleur de lis on the shield, with a silver helmet looking left above/on the top of the shield. Above that is a golden brown lion facing left also, holding a golden fleur de lis.

The silver helmet has a golden face plate with red in the "face holes". There are red and golden leaf type things - but not leaves all around the shield and under the helmet and lion.

I've always found this crest to be most interesting but have never looked it up or even thought to, tbh.

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Actually you have to be registered under a particular coat of arms to entitled you to use it in most countries.

That said I've seen two variations for my surname. It's a very uncommon name in the U.S., only 668 people in 2000. Much more in Italy, most centered around Salerno, the area my father was from.

I did research back in the early days of the net and got into some Italian sources and text books and traced it back etymologically to the founding of Italy, the Trojan war, and stuff like that.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

our name was shortened when my family came to America so I wouldn't mind posting our crest, you would only be able to figure out the original long ass Scottish name. But I cant post pictures.

its basically a red lion with the words fife et fortitudine

edit: Actually our name wasn't shortened, my ancestors carried my last name when they were in Scotland so it branched off from that aforementiomed long ass scootish name while still in Scotland.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

A lot of the sites have very similar designs that's for sure like it's always the knight, but inside the shield is what matters and you just need to research who you are to get the information on what's genuine or not. You can also create your own. :)

Names change and progress throughout the ages, our name wasn't what it is today. Letters get replaced or added or subtracted altogether etc.

20. tasdev126

tasdev126 Members

I have a northern irish name with Mc in it.
    My coat of arms is Yellow, Red and Gold with a shield in the middle that is split yellow and red with a lion in the middle.
    On top is a blue dragon.
    My name is in gold writing at the top with Ireland at the bottom

1 person likes this.