Changing Your Name After Marriage?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by martilicious, Jul 7, 2015.

1. martilicious

martilicious Members

I am currently planning my same sex wedding for next year. I am just wondering if people are changing there last names still? How do you decide who's name to keep if so? Should we create a new last name combining both of our names or should we just keep the same names we currently have? Does it even really matter? I'm just not sure about this part. Thanks for your input!

2. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I took my husbands last name. Perhaps though, as you're marrying someone who is the same sex as you, you might want to consider hyphening your names? What does your fiancee think?

3. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Hyphenated last names always seemed cool to me. I might be saying that because I have one, but still. :p

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Do you need a name ending in licious to post in this thread?

1 person likes this.
  5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I didn't do it. I didn't see the purpose. It would have been a lot of trouble.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

even in a straight marriage where the answer is more cut and dry I dont think I would ever change my last name. I'm proud of my name. Its Scottish and the Scots are bad asses.

hyphenated does sound like a good option too unless it would make it too much of a tongue twister

7. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

My last name is Scottish as well. If I didn't have a brother to carry on my last name, then I never would have changed it.

If and when I do have children, if I end up having a baby girl, her first name will be my maiden name.

8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I changed my first name to Mr.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My miss will take my name because it's much more interesting and it rolls off the tongue better for her than her name does for me. :D

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

from what i've seen, it's still pretty standard for the woman to take the man's last name. of course, that doesn't mean anybody "should" do that; people should do whatever they choose to do, after discussing the situation with their spouses-to-be.

i had a college professor who got married and made up an entirely new name along with her husband. i assume she was trolling, because it was one of the most awkward names i've ever seen.

11. beagles 'n' lox

beagles 'n' lox Typing Challened

I know a hetero couple who decided to flip a coin. He lost and is know as Mark Hislastname-Herlastname while she is Sonja Herlastname.

Whatever. It's not a big deal unless you make it one. We always wear our weeding rings but don't have the same last name. Other people are the other way, again, whatever.

1 person likes this.
  12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i assume they prevent blisters when you're pulling weeds in the garden?

1 person likes this.
  13. Mattekat

One of my last names is Scottish too! I agree we are a bunch of badasses.

And both my last names rhyme so I think the hyphenating works well in my case at least. I keep thinking that if I get married I can't possibly hyphenate it again though.

On the other hand... my boyfriend's last name sounds like a delicious dessert so maybe I wold take it.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

obviously the answer is to marry a guy with a hyphenated name and then hyphenate again so you can have a 4-for-1 last name.

15. Mattekat

I used to joke that I would do that just to fuck over our future kids when they are learning to spell their names.

16. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I decided that if my current girlfriend and I got married, I would probably take her name. Or hyphenate it I suppose. Honestly though, I'm not close with my family and my father has never been around. I don't need his name to remind me of my estranged family. Besides, my last name is Hispanic and people always assume I'm Hispanic when they see my name and then they see the palest looking girl in front of them. I really relate more to my European half. And my girlfriend is Irish, so her name would match me. I can be a bit old fashioned, which is another reason why I prefer to have a matching last name to my future spouse.

But to each their own. Same-sex relationship or otherwise, do whatever feels good to you.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

No matter the genders, I think name changes should be thought through.

Do you have a professional life, where a name, and name recognition, are important?
    I was a reporter when I married, so it was not beneficial to change, plus his last name was an adjective.

Now, as a massage therapist founding a wellness center, it's more a bureaucratic pain to change, but I'm considering a legal name change /addition. Not related to a marriage. I honestly don't see another one in the cards.

There's select the cooler name option, the dump a crappy family option, the choose something simple to spell or say, choose something difficult, just because, hyphenation, creation of a new name.

1 person likes this.
Tags: