How Does Your Garden Grow?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Moonglow181, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have also been thinking alot about gardens since Saturday. My neighbor's have made a food garden and they are so good at doing so many things....each food they are growing is in a separate wood big enclosure, and then there is a circular fence around the entire garden to keep pests out. they are growing so many things......My grandmother used to make a huge garden right outside of her cabin in the dirt with no wooden enclosures for each food, but hers was very successful, too.....All we have ever grown here are tomatoes, but I would love to learn......
    I have flower gardens here, but no food ones this year.

What do you grow in your gardens if you make any?
    Where did you learn how?
    Do you have any garden songs, stories or anything to share here?

i would plant many herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, rhubarb, peas for starters, i think.

and I love this song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AABK5eY1DGc

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

growing up my mom always did a huge garden like your grandmothers where everything just grew together. Since I'm a renter I do raised beds and container gardening. I've only done my own garden for a couple of years but I grew up helping in my mom's garden. I'm afraid I didn't inherit her green thumb though as my garden does not produce like hers does.

I highly recommend doing a compost heap though. It really helps the soil and cuts down on food waste.

2 people like this.
  3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMgvlAjJi5Y

4. Moonglow181

DAMN! I forgot that I would grow my favorite hot peppers and red peppers and lettuce before.... :D Cannot do all of the work required without those things.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKFjPEU_Fw

5. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just planted 20 roses. I have a baby fig tree, a new magnolia and a well established mandarin tree.

I'm going to miss my garden so much more than my husband/marriage when I move out soon.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

All 8.28 acres is a garden of sorts...

7. Moonglow181

You are going somewhere? where?

8. Moonglow181

don't know how I managed to quote that 3 times...now everything is coming up 3's..... :D

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tBKJ_LeuvM

10. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My marriage broke down. Onwards and upwards!

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Weeds grow good. Nice and tall. :D
    My grass, depends on the dog really.
    My hedges are fantastic though.

12. oreganosmellingindividual

oreganosmellingindividual Members

I have one of the larger gardens on this side of the city. This year I started absolutely everything from seed. I have 10 o so tomato varieties in 50 plants as well as a bunch of other stuff.

My Reisetomates are just coming in. Psycho looking thing.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

mostly in my imagination.

14. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

that's interesting, I've never heard about reisetomatoes. Are they like normal tomatoes, just looking like they are freshly imported from Chernobyl ;)?

Regards
    Gyro

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Fukushima, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island (TMI) or the result of nuclear testing back in the 50s

[​IMG]

Hotwater

16. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

yepp, there are enough events one can choose from. Reminds me to check the data from the radiaton meter for the last week.

Regards
    Gyro

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We've had so much rain we are overwhelmed with cucumbers and one of our zucchini plants rotted at the base.

1 person likes this.
  18. oreganosmellingindividual

oreganosmellingindividual Members

Ironically, reisetomates were passed off as "mutant Fukashima tomatos" in a popular "scientific" meme several years ago. You'll remember it if you saw it. A good example of some of the many false sciences found on the internet.

Reisetomates are pretty much clusters of cherry tomatoes fused together. They used to be called the "traveling tomato", as people back in the day could tear a single tomato into chunks, making it a convenient snack.

They taste slightly lemony.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I learned to garden from my parents. They are die hard "do-it-yourselfers" and I have learned so many useful skills from them.

This year in my garden there is a few kinds of tomatoes, tomatillos, and thai red chillies. As for herbs I have orange mint, cilantro, lemon thyme, thai basil, Greek oregano, lovage and garlic chives. The tomatoes I got this year we're a few different heirloom varieties including a type of green tomato and one that will be orange and red stripes called a tigerella tomato.

This year i tried something called square foot gardening. I made a few wooden boxes that were 2 feet by 2 feet and 1 foot deep with chicken wire bottoms. You can make these boxes much bigger, but I wanted mine to be portable. You plant something in each foot long cube of space. My boxes hold 4 plants each, but I have seen giant 5x5 or 10x10 foot boxes that hold way more plants.

I am away for most of the summer though so I had to leave care instructions with my roommates and hope for the best. They are going to dry all the chillies for me and freeze some tomatoes and tomatillos if all goes well.

1 person likes this.
  20. Moonglow181

oh, wow...sounds wonderful!

I am probably not built for gardening....as a co pilot to someone for it, i probably would be, though.