Any Barefooters Out There Ever Heard Of Earth Shoes?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Mattekat, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried a pair. I think they sound perfect for when it's too cold out to barefoot. They have a negative heel and are meant to mimic the way a barefooters walk to some degree.

Here is the website so you can see what I'm talking about:
    http://www.earthbrands.com/kalsoearthshoe

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I had a pair back in the '70s. They stretch out your Achilles tendon. Other than that I saw no benefit.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I use a pair, clogs, at work. Closed toes required. I also have a pair for deep winter.
    They don't mimic barefoot walking in the sense of a ball of foot/forefoot strike, but they do alow those who already strike with a forefoot(or who can do either, like I do) to continue.

The toe box is nice and roomy, and forgiving of my toe grip, that shreds cheaper shoes.
    When I have to go enclosed, these are a good option.

I'd say they are similar to walking in damp, not wet, sand barefoot. They won't retrain a heel strike walk, that I can tell. As I said I already do a hybrid, since I walk/hike barefoot but also use shoes as needed for a situation.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mattekat

Thanks for the info drumminmama! I think I am going to invest in a pair for the winter.

My mom had a pair in the 70s. She is the one who gave me he idea. She loved hers.

5. drumminmama

Pro tip, go try them on. Each style feels a bit different. Even same style vegan to leather (I got a gift).

6. Mattekat

Unfortunately there are no stores that sell them that I can find near me. I might try looking when I am in vancouver later this year, but if I can't find any there to try on then I don't know if I ever will. Most minimalist style shoes I have seen online I can't really find in stores here.

7. drumminmama

Earth aren't minimalist. Look for a walking specialty shop.

8. hotasphaltblisteredsoles

hotasphaltblisteredsoles  

No. I wear three different types of shoes when I can't be barefoot:
    • Flip flops, the preferred shoes unless it's a major rainstorm or frost on the ground.
    • Closed walking shoes, but as little as possible since all shoes squeeze the toes even slightly plus a closed shoe limits overall foot flexibility.
    • Steel-toed high top shoes only if I am dealing specifically with moving toe-breaking weight if it were to fall on even a closed non-steel-toed shoe.
    I've never been much for these minimalist soles so far, maybe if I ever visit somewhere like Phoenix, AZ in later summer weather. I would then have to assess if such a thin sole was effective enough against potentially 3rd degree burning hot asphalt vs. a rubber soled flip flop.