So Exactly What Is The Hottest Day Of The Year?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I never knew this. But according to weathermen, the summer season actually begins June 1st. Before then, like most Americans, I assumed it began on the Summer Solstice, around June 21st or so. Actually though, for where I live (SE Michigan) that is about right. Seasons come late, here. I know we often don't get our first major snowfall until the end of December, when the Winter Solstice rears its ugly head.

Anyways, in England it is ever more crazy, as I understand it. They have what are called cross-quarter days, more or less between the Solstices and Equinoxes. So Winter ends on (what we would call) Groundhog's Day, or February 2nd. And so forth. (May 1st, i.e., May Day, would be the start of Summer there. But the subject is already so confusing, I will just leave it at that.)

Anyway, so you have June 1st (which would make July 15 or thereabouts, the hottest day), and then you have the "cross-quarter day" (which is more or less between the seasons) of Aug. 1st (which they call Lammas Day in England--I'll leave it at that) as the height of the Solstice--or theoretically the hottest day.

Which is it? Which is the hottest day? I really need to know. Because I can't stand the heat, and would like to know what to plan for.

(BTW, I might as well tell you that I once followed the local weather report, oh, about ten years ago. And I deliberately watched the average highs. This led me to believe it must be around July 20th, or so in Michigan--which makes even less sense. As I said, it has to be July 15 or Aug. 1.)

I await your answers.

(BTW, I also will try to attach something which might be of value, to see what I mean. It is the Wiccan wheel of the year, which illustrates the seasons and cross-quarter seasons I am talking about.)

Attached Files:

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

there are several definitions of summer, for instance, a meteorological and an astronomical summer. The meteorological summer starts on the first of june. That becomes handy if you want to produce statistics. On the other hand, the astronomical summer is based on the (virtual) path of the sun. The sun doesn't care about statistics, so the astronomical summer starts at a different time every year. Summer started at the 21st of june at about 06:37PM this year.

I don't understand how this should connect to the hottest day of the year. The temperature depends mostly on other factors. The hottest day of the year for my area was yesterday. But we expect today to become the new hottest day of the year.

Regards
    Gyro

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Like it matters if its 110 or 115 out here during the dog days of august :D

4. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

my experience at the moment is that you get used to it pretty fast. I guess I have to turn the heating on if temps are down to 25C again ;).

Regards
    Gyro

5. r0llinstoned

Hello,

if you mention the phrase "turn on the heating" one more time i might melt to death

6. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfjXj5EGqI

;)

Regards
    Gyro

7. r0llinstoned

:toetap05:

8. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

I swear, I searched for a video showing an open fridge with little iciles in it ;). But I didn't found one.

Regards
    Gyro

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Hottest day of the year is the day the temperature is the highest... It's not like this is rocket science, you know.

2 people like this.
  10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

It depends on your exact location on this miserable dirtball.

I'm either freezing or roasting, coughing or sneezing...

on this supposed perfectly fine tuned creation.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Interesting theory.

12. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

There is pretty much no way to say what day will be the hottest. You can look at past years in your area and compare hottest day in history for a few clues, but even that won't answer anything.

It depends on the sun and clouds and air pressure and a whole bunch of other random crap that has nothing to do with longest days or time of year.

13. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

The sun lingers longest in the sky for 3 days June 22, 23, and 24. But anytime around ~June 15th to July will be hot

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Mainly only hippy or pagan types in England that would know that. If you asked the average brit in the street 'when is Lammas?' they wouldn't have a clue. The full and older name of the day is Lughnasadh. Probably it marked the start of the harvest season.

15. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

did it ;):

Code:
    xxx@xxx=> with maxtempofyear as (select extract(year from time) as year, max(temperature) as maxtemp from weather group by year)
                             select distinct time::date as "Hottest day", temperature from weather as w join maxtempofyear as m
                              on (extract(year from w.time)=m.year and w.temperature=m.maxtemp) where w.sid=46;
    Hottest day | temperature
    ------------+-------------
    15.07.2007  | 35
    02.07.2008  | 35
    20.08.2009  | 33
    10.07.2010  | 37
    23.08.2011  | 34
    19.08.2012  | 35
    27.07.2013  | 37
    02.08.2013  | 37
    09.06.2014  | 36
    04.07.2015  | 38
    (10 rows)

In 2013 we had two hottest days of the year ;).

Regards
    Gyro

16. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't know if any of you are interested in this update. But a local Detroit weatherman recently stated the average hottest day, in metro-Detroit, is July 20th. What happens on that date, to make it the average hottest, I have no idea. I know meteorological summer begins June the 1st. That would make the middle of July, perhaps July 15, to be exact, the average hottest.

But it is July 20th here. Has anyone been given a different date, where they live?

[​IMG] :bigcry:[​IMG]

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

usually halloween.

[​IMG]?

1 person likes this.
  18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I usually wait till October then check for the hottest temperature in the last 6 months.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My limited time at school would tell me that the hottest day of the year is the day that it is the hottest that year.

1 person likes this.