Gay Men Are Not Not More Likely To Molest Children.

Discussion in 'People' started by Nerdanderthal, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Prepare to have more taboos traversed. Lately I've been focusing a lot on areas where facts may hurt feelings, where statistics may cause offense, where political correctness prevails, and evidence is likely to be suppressed or circumvented. These areas include

Race
    Religion
    Orientation

Let me preface this by saying that I fully support gay marriage, and vehemently oppose any profiling, or precautions that have no basis in evidence, or reason. The vast majority of violent crime is carried out by men, for example. I would not for a moment begrudge anyone for opening the door to their home for a woman, but keeping it locked if a man were to knock, or crossing the street when being approached by a man on an empty street at night. It makes sense to take statistical trends into account, and we can easily see that in non-PC circumstances.

Homosexuals and bisexuals account for only 1-4% of our population based on current surveys. The National Opinion Research Center in 1992 found that 2.8% of men and 1.4% of women identified themselves as “homosexual” or “bisexual. A 1995 survey of 18-49-year-old men published by the Journal of Sex Research indicated that 2.6% of them had engaged in homosexual sex within the prior 12 months; 4% had had homosexual sex within the past five years.

The Los Angeles Times conducted a survey in 1985 of 2,628 adults across the U.S. Of those, 27% of the women and 16% of the men had been sexually molested. Seven percent of the girls and 93% of the men had been molested by adults of the same sex. (Los Angeles Times, August 25-6, 1985)

In 1984, a Vermont survey of 161 adolescents who were sex offenders found that 35 of them were homosexuals (22%). (Wasserman, J., “Adolescent Sex Offenders—Vermont, 1984” Journal American Medical Association, 1986; 255:181-2)

In 1991, of the 100 child molesters at the Massachusetts Treatment Center for Sexually Dangerous Persons, a third were heterosexual, a third were bisexual, and a third were homosexual. (Dr. Raymond Knight, “Differential Prevalence of Personality Disorders in Rapists and Child Molesters,” Eastern Psychological Association Conference, New York, April 12, 1991)

Drs. Freund and Heasman of the Clark Institute of Psychiatry in Toronto reviewed two studies on child molesters and calculated that 34% and 32% of the sex offenders were homosexual. In cases these doctors had handled, 36% of the molesters were homosexuals. (Freund, K. “Pedophilia and Heterosexuality vs. Homosexuality,” Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 1984; 10:193-200)

When child molesters are questioned as to their sexual orientation, invariably the self reported results come back with a huge percentage categorizing themselves as gay or bi, in comparison to their miniscule representation in the population.

So my question is, 1. if these trends continue to show themselves, and self identified gay / bisexual men are much more likely to molest children, is this at least reason to provide extra supervision in places like schools, and boyscouts, and churches? Should people be so afraid to offend, that they fail to take precautions? Maybe we need to provide extra supervision everywhere. Should this data have no impact though? It's a direct competition between the facts and the feelings. Which side wins?

2. Do you think sexual orientation is 100% genetic? I'm inclined to believe it's largely genetic, maybe 60-70%.

3. Do you agree that homosexuals have soaring rates of infection, and anal sex results in exponentially higher rates of STDs and their spread?

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

dude....if you have to reach back to 1984 for stats you are dreaming.....

your stats cant be trusted and neither can you....you have lost all credibility on this site with your offensive postings

you need a hug

3 people like this.
  3. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I applaud your heroic attempts to circumvent the data. Predictable, but your heart is probably in the right place.

I imagine you don't want to see this issue studied at all. If the truth is statistically offensive, it must be a bad thing, and we must keep it hidden! Almost everyone is of that mind, you're in the company of the majority.

4. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

Most of the individuals in the prison system who are locked up for convictions of molesting children, they have histories of molesting both boys and girls, many are also married and have kids of their own. The fact any grown man would touch a fellow male of any age, shows that he has homosexual tendecies, thus this thread is contradictory in it's very title, it's also common for grown gay men to acknowledge they were in fact molested as children, that's pretty telling.

5. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

In a chapter titled, “Childhood Sexual Abuse Experienced by Gay and Bisexual Men: Understanding the Disparities and Interventions to Help Eliminate Them,” from the bookUnequal Opportunity, researchers analyze and report on data from 17 different studies from the past 15 years. (7) They find the rates of childhood sexual abuse (which they abbreviate as CSA) for men who have sex with men range from 11.8% to 37.0%, and note that “the best-designed studies tend to converge on CSA prevalence of 15% to 25%.” (8)

The researchers report that the rates of child sexual abuse for gay- or bisexual-identified men are significantly higher than those found among heterosexually-identified men. They write that the rates for heterosexual men are usually “less than 10%,” and state that in five studies that compared the two groups, the men who have sex with men are “at least three times more likely to report CSA, however defined, than heterosexual men.” (12) This finding is reiterated in their conclusion: “Rates for MSM are 15% to 25% in the best designed studies, which is at least triple the rates reported among heterosexual men.” (13)

(7) David W. Purcell, Jocelyn D. Patterson and Pilgrim S. Spikes, Jr., “Childhood Sexual Abuse Experienced by Gay and Bisexual Men: Understanding the Disparities and Interventions to Help Eliminate Them,” in Richard J. Wolitski, Ron Stall, and Ronald O Valdiserri, eds., Unequal Opportunity, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008), pp. 72-96.

(8) Ibid, pp. 73-74.

(12) Ibid, pp. 80-81.

(13) Ibid, p. 92.

6. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Looks like gay men are molested at least three times more often than their straight counterparts. The cycle of abuse rolls on.

There is indeed a clear disparity between homosexual men and heterosexual men and child sexual abuse. Using a non-clinical population of 465, Tomeo et al. found that 46 pe cent of the gay men reported being sexually abused as children compared to 7 percent of the matched heterosexual men. (15) What’s intriguing is that 68 percent of the homosexual men did not identify as homosexual until after the abuse. Earlier research by Johnson and Shrier concluded that boys who had been sexually abused are 7 times more likely to identify as homosexual or bisexual than their heterosexual counterparts. Even more intriguing is that Friedman noted that the boys who later identified as heterosexual had a mean average of 15.7 as the time of their first sexual experience. For the boy who later identified as homosexual, the mean average was 12.7. (16)

(15) E-mail interview with Dr. Dean Byrd, 06 April 2009. Here, Dr. Byrd is referring to M. Tomeo, D. Templar, S. Anderson, and D. Kotler, “Comparative Data of Childhood and Adolescence Molestation in Heterosexual and Homosexual Persons.” Archives of Sexual Behavior Vol. 30 (3), pp. 535-541.

(16) Ibid. Dr. Byrd is referencing Diane Shrier and Robert L. Johnson, “Sexual Victimization of Boys: An Ongoing Study of an Adolescent Medicine Clinic Population,” Journal of the National Medical Association 80, (1988); he also references Richard C. Friedman and Jennifer I Downey, “Homosexuality,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. #331 (1994): 923-930, <http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/331/14/923> (27 April 2009).

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

fuck....lets do this

in july of 2015 gay people are enjoying more freedom than at any time in history.....kids are coming out as gay in 2015 whereas in 1959 or 1984[stat] they did not.....

gay persons are enjoying more acceptance in society in general in north America especially ...the stats you quoted cant possibly be paralleled to today.....

you are seem to be cherry picking information for your debate ..........you did not include any data gathered by gay based organizations of which there has to be plenty even though i admit there info will be out of date also....unusable in 2015 like your own references
    i grew up in Toronto...the clark institute was always a mental health and addiction hospital......people got sentenced to rehab there in court all the time...it was for only the most hardcore drug addicts and people with severe mental health problems..that data is also slanted as there is no way the hospital patients were a slice of ALL society

your other data is just too old.....seeing as you obviously have smarts i can only conclude that you wanted the results to look bad on gay men and made no attempt to provide data bolstering a different point of view

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

and for fuck sakes stop copy pasting without a quote to show they aren't your sentences

like i did

9. DrinkBudweiser

DrinkBudweiser Members

First of all, I'd just like to say that there's tons of pedophiles out there who touch down on small children (regardless of gender) because they're fucking sick-minded individuals. It's a shame to label them into the LGBT+ community simply because their gender is male and they're touching small boys. That's a mental issue, rather than an issue that should be linked to being gay and/or bisexual.

There's no right or wrong answer as to why people are homosexual, they just are. Some are 'born that way' and shown signs of it from a young age. Others it may be enviornmental factors. I'm 100% lesbian, there's no part of me that desires a man sexually or romantically. I've ALWAYS been attracted to women growing up... With 2 Catholic parents, homosexuality was never discussed in my household. I can think of less than 3 people I knew of growing up who were gay... There was never a reasoning why I turned out the way I did, I just did. I remember dating guys in middle school and in my underclassmen years of high school. I hated it, I didn't like them like that... It was just the 'normal' thing to do. Thank God I came out of the closet. In my case, you can argue that it's genetic in the sense of it's in my DNA to be attracted to women - it's who I am. On the other end of the spectrum, I go to one of the largest gay clubs in country. I can think of many girls who went there for a good time that identified as straight and later realized that they were attracted to women and went on to have successful relationships. You could argue that, that is enviornmental.

Lastly, I don't research STDs in the gay community. So, I don't have any kind of research to back my answer up on this. However, I will say that I know just as many people who identify as LGBT as I do with those who are straight and I know way more straights with STDs. My guess is that if you aren't safe, you're going to contract some nasty shit - regardless of orientation.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I don't want the results to look bad on gay men. I want to fight against the wishful thinking. Obviously the politically correct view, the wishful thinking perspective, seeks to validate that all people are equal. All groups are equally likely to be as intelligent, all groups are equally likely to be as athletic, all groups are equally unlikely to molest children. The VAST majority of people seek data that supports these propositions. The problem is, it's an anti-intellectual stance. If you seek to be intellectually honest, and remove cognitive bias, you will fight against wishful thinking, and PC dogma. That's what I'm trying to do here. No doubt the truth may be shocking in many cases. So often, people work very hard to hide it.

I think one can reach a very strong conclusion, by evaluating all the data, that there is a cycle being perpetuated whereby people who were molested by the same sex are much more likely to be gay or bi, as well as much more likely to normalize that behavior to some extent, and subject kids to the same treatment they received. My last two references are from 2008, and 2009 respectively... New England Journal of Medicine and Oxford University Press. Sources don't get much more legit than that.

1 person likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Child molesting down.
    AIDS SKY ROCKETING!!

1 person likes this.
  12. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I see this old chestnut less and less as time goes by. The basic claim is something like "most child molesters are white married guys with children of their own". It makes it SEEM like "white married guys with children" are some sort of high risk group, "OMG, protect the children from them by all means" they scream.

What they leave out is the fact that most white married guys with children don't rape anyone. By pushing only 1 side of the story a whole swath of the population can be demonized, needlessly.

On the issue of raping children, I don't care what the "orientation" of the rapist happens to be. I really don't. I just want them to be put to death, after being whipped severely. Anyone who rapes a child deserves no better.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

my molester was a female it was 1977...

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

legit sources but not completely current...as in today.....I see how one can come to your conclusions ...

I don't think the number of gay people will ever be truly able to be measured until it doesn't matter to anyone that someone is gay.....some day

until then comparing someones guess at percentages and drawing conclusions will be impossible and faulty if done

one could argue that just being a male is putting one into the leading group of child molesters.ie-women molesters caught vs male molesters caught

and come now...this awful subject is swept under the rug in many cases....the numbers of unreported molestation would easily skew the data away from your conclusions

I also think my unique perspective of not being gay yet working and living in a predominately gay profession I can assure you.....they are as normal as you and I albeit most have more class than you or i

15. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

and according to the cdc 63% of diagnosed HIV and AIDS cases are men with homosexual tendecies. I'm not going to pull up the footnotes or references, since it can easily be found by anyone who takes five minutes out of their day. If poop slides out of it? You probably shouldn't go up in it

16. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

Recent research conducted by Dr Neil Whitehead, using data from the human genome database, and identical twins from four continents over a twenty year period have shown there is no evidence to suggest one's heredity has anything to do with their sexual identity or orientation, it's probably something environmental or hormonal.

17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

ok i will stay out of your mouth

btw...anti fagger you quoted a lesbian

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This is another area where you have to look to what people will not say aloud, rather than what they will

You mentioned "cycle" a couple of times, that is an assumption, why do you need that to be true

Self reporting is pretty much useless, you are never going to get correct data from self reporting. And impossible if the subject is too young to communicate, was too young to remember

There is actually no such thing as identical twins, makes all twin related research redundant. Just a hangover from last century when science didnt know enough

By the same token, nothing exists about human characteristics that is genetic, even something like blue eyes, you are not exactly getting the same kind of blue as your father.....there is no exact copy....again just a hangover from when science didnt know enough

The morality of the subject aside, there are some really scary parts to anything learned in early childhood for all. What is learned at the very start of social development gets imprinted or reverse imprinted then buried under decades of the formation of other neurons. Only to have some life of physical event re-trigger that neuron cluster. Led subconsciously your whole life by whatever whacky thing happened to you at 2, never really knowing it

Foot fetish appears 40 years later cos a dog licked your toes when you were 2 and that was the first time you had a twinge in your groin, you though you never knew before, but then you remember, hang on, my first job was in a shoe store

Not all teachers are pedos of course, but you are more likely to find them in the teaching profession becuase the pedos will have that extra interest in being around children, enter into a education course in University long before they are even thinking about it

There are more male perps than female ones, that is also an assumption. What is the reverse of pedo? Being a little 8 yr old dude too pretty or cute for his own good - makes it a lot easier for him to spot the creepier adults, male ones if he's too pretty , female ones if he is too cute.

So there is also the reverse of the argument, that some in GLBT are a lot better at spotting the pedos. Which is the real reason for Church vs GLBT stuff

I already know the real reason for this thread

1 person likes this.
  19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I tried to take this thread seriously but I..just..cant. A gay person is someone who likes other POST PUBESCENT people of the same gender.

if you're a man who likes little boys you're not gay, you're a pedophile.

2 people like this.
  20. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

The point is when you ask child molesters their sexual orientation, something like 33-66% will answer either gay or bi. When you get a random sampling of the population it's more like 1-4%. To what do you attribute this disparity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.