Communal Summer Camp In Solon, Maine

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Highwayman, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Highwayman

Highwayman Member

This 6.5 acre land with abutting 3.5 acre land parcel that is in conservation trust with river frontage is owned by my friend John. He doesnt have a computer or email. Hes an elderly hippie & unsure of his hippy bonafides but seems to be walking the walk in my book. He dont drive or use a car either & lives in Natick, Mass. He has attended some Rainbow gatherings & followed the dead once upon a time. He has had good luck with collective groups using this space since the 90s but most of the former participants have gone & become wage slave yuppies & now work to pay a bank loan & no longer camp with us.

Please come & camp, cook, eat & participate. There is direct access to the river for swimming, rafting, fishing & tubing. Please bring your own tent, yurt, camper/rv. Ideally we can get many people to come & go from this land over this summer. In the past there have been upwards of 50 people camping & having fun. Please bring your musical instruments & play music, drums for a drum circle. bring your hulahoops, hackysacks, poi, frisbees, bikes, fishing poles etc. There are some coolers & cookware but if you have any stuff that saint being used at your home please contribute it to the cause. Once in a while we may pass the magic hat to help John pay the land taxes.

There is no contribution factor besides bringing in food/drink items, camp supplies, doing some chores & having fun. This is a children & family friendly space so please contribute more than just partying. Please do party but please consider others who may live beyond just partying 24/7. It is what we make it. I dont foresee too many rules besides no hard drugs, stealing & fighting. Disagreements & heated debate could happen as people are people so please dont be too sensitive & confuse fighting with arguing. Squabbles happen but please handle them with civility. Ideally this will be a great project filled with love & positive energy but as with many other utopian projects I have participated in; it is often much easier to dream of utopia then to create it. PLease lets all do our part & make this space work, even if its just a carload of friends coming to spend a weekend or a rubber tramp family who lives in a school bus looking to park for a few months. Do come & do participate.

I myself am 38 & more punk than hippy. I have traveled across the US /CA on freight trains & hitching done lots of stuff from commercial fishing to nonprofit work helping kids. I have been going to Burning man for a few years & attended a few rainbow gatherings. I dont vote or participate in politics, i dont pay taxes, I dont do the census, I have neither passport or drivers license. I ride a bicycle & have for the last 15 years. I do have children & an apt in New Bedford, MA.

This is somewhat of a logistics challenge for both John & I. We are both able to get to Boston fairly easy but have no transportation to the camp. Ideally we can get many people involved with rideshares back & forth. The camp is 105 miles NW from Portland, Maine.

There is a concrete pad site on this plot that was originally planned to build a permanent communal year round structure but the capital is not currently available. John is retired & washes windows but if the right core group could be found from the cadre of campers who were serious about establishing a collective house then in theory that too could happen.

First we want to just get this place being used & meet some new friends. If you are reading this & dont have 4th of July plans then throw some gear together & come camp with us. Part of what has inhibited us from going up this year is that we are out of the loop & dont know enough people to invite. Hopefuly me creating this hip forum account back in 2006 will finally pay off.

Please contact me ,

Kevin
    617-388-7622
    dancingetard@aol.com