Texting In Public/with People

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Laci, Jun 27, 2015.

1. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

I have to admit I do it in awkward social situations where I don't want to talk to anyone or make eye contact with anyone. >_>

Otherwise, I agree. Usually I view it and use it as a clear "do not disturb" message. Doing that while hanging out with people is pretty rude. Getting a stray text, checking messages is fine, but ongoing coversations/fb/tweeting? couldn't you do that by yourself and not waste my valuable time that I could be using more productively than watching you scroll through funny pictures?

1 person likes this.
  2. Laci

Laci Members

The thing is, if you're standing in line waiting for food or in line at the grocery store, that's a decent time to check your phone or text. My issue is when someone is paying for their groceries and talking on the phone while the cashier is trying to check them out. The other thing that confuses me is that people get together to hang out and end up spending the entire time on their phones rather than speaking to the people in the same room with them.

Would I rather someone text than talk on the phone? Yes. But it is annoying to me that people seem so distant from reality.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

What is worse to me is when the cashier won't stop talking to the next cashier over while they are checking out your groceries.

2 people like this.
  4. beagles 'n' lox

beagles 'n' lox Typing Challened

Not even to take a pic of the food? (I rarely do that, the line between fairly ordinary so why bother and over the top nice I wouldn't dare is rather thin.)

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I notice a lot in restaraunts the girls sit on their phones and their guys just stare at them with nothing to do and it's across the board at every table. I was with a couple once having brunch and he'd came up with a "no phones at the table" rule. I don't use my phone too much in any case. And like if I am out doing things, I don't pause time to post about it. :D like I'll wait until I get home to post about it, unless i think yall need to know like right now!

1 person likes this.
  6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

lol restraints.....irmy...autocorrect get you?

all 3 my sisters do not let their kids use phones at a dinner table ....

also.....I obviously don't watch what others do as much as you all do

I pay attention to the people I am with...not buddy at the other table

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol. Clearly see what my phones been texting. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Everyone has to take their shitty Iphone video and post it to youtube. You are right there and the sound will be SO much better if you listen. They are more concerned with showing other people they were there then enjoying the moment. This is my average view now.
    [​IMG]

9. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

OMG, it's really that bad...I haven't been to a concert in ages, I had no idea. I mean, I knew people were taking vid of concerts ( pretty sure it's prohibited, it used to be anyway) but I didn't know so many were being so brazen about it.

Yep the sound on those is usually terrible. Even at best, represents little of what it actually sounded like live.

10. Laci

Laci Members

Went to the Fourth of July festivities with a friend yesterday, before we even met up, I asked them, "Hey, can we designate the time during the carnival and fireworks as a phone-free time beyond taking pictures of the stuff?" And they were verrrryyyy reluctant, but said yes. It's a good step.

11. beagles 'n' lox

beagles 'n' lox Typing Challened

12. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It always spins me when i'm in a public lavatory and someone is sitting on the throne talking on the device.

13. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

This is just frikin rude.

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

THIS drives me insane. I mean, why not live in the moment? It isn't like people are actually going to re-watch the videos they take at concerts.

15. Metal Groomp

Metal Groomp Members

I hate it when people can't seem to put their phones down and act like they can't live without it. Whenever someone tells them politely to put their phones down or turn it off, they always get into a fit and then complain later on to their friends about how a bitch that person was and make stuff up about them. It's like most of the time, they don't realize that they're part of the problem, not the person telling them to put it away and they never want to take the blame for themselves.

2 people like this.
  16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

But texting in private/with rocks is cool though.... Right?

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnRcIXEqaU

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes they are braindead moroons!!!!!

I cant stand hanging out with the sheeple of today!!

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't care if people text or talk on the phone, except when driving. But as an old guy, the only word I can think of when I see 90 % of the people wherever I am, staring at little machines is --surreal. Or maybe bizarre. Makes me think of some type of movie or something with
    everyone walking around completely disconnected from real life. If there are 20 people at the bus stops I drive by---18 are looking at little machines.
    It's true about traffic too. You're behind someone--light turns green---and they sit until a horn is honked at them. Pathetic.

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i dissagree with that

they are in fact TOO CONNECTED...not disconnected

people nowadays have way too many connections stretching thin and too easily damaged...instead of closer thicker connections that are harder to damage

kind of like a huge thin spider web that easily collapses when one thread breaks instead of nice little one that traps everything safely