Transracial?

Discussion in 'People' started by Karen_J, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eerily

Eerily Members

If differences between genders and races are only skin deep then one would only wish to change them for social reasons - or call it opportunistic reasons. But, obviously its absurd to say they're only skin deep. If one legitimately lacks internal satisfaction or wholeness because of their gender or race it must be because of substantial difference. While changing gender does involve cosmetics, it also involves substantial surgery and hormone replacement. So while its one thing to say that its none of one's business if one changes gender, the very admission that one believes that is what people are actually doing and that they have a substantial reason to do so is also an admission that there are substantial differences between genders. It seems obvious for the most part, but in certain contexts many people refuse to admit there are such substantial differences.

As for changing races, I'm guessing that the most drastic thing one does to supposedly change race is basic cosmetic surgery. So one may ask what the transformation of races in such a manner should mean to them. Certainly nothing if one is truly "color blind", but then to be truly color blind one will have to unable to even distinguish races from each other. If one believes their are some things that some races can say and others can't, one will have to wonder when hearing those things if the speaker is of the appropriate race or not. In fact, such "color blind" people will just have to take other people's word that they are the race they think they are.

It seems that for most people the races of others is very relevant, and being that unlike with supposed gender changes, there is no substantial change taking place with supposed race changes, one would find it to be at best an absurd thing to do, at worst an unfair impersonation.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

While looking only at his work, can a surgeon tell the race of his patient? On the other hand, every cell in a woman's body is different from a man's, with two X chromosomes instead of XY.

The absurdity of race becomes more obvious to me when talking about mixed race individuals. Imagine someone who is 5% black having an argument with a 25% black person over the right to use the black label.

When it's impossible to define something in a precise and clear way, that's often a sign that the concept is somewhat of made up by society.

But... all that being said, the woman in this story is a damn liar.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Don't you just love society's double standards?

You're transgender? WOW good for you! Anybody who doesn't emphathize with you is an ignorant trans-phobe

You're transracial? No you're not! Now fuck off and act your own race you racist!

2 people like this.
  4. Eerily

Eerily Members

I can define race is a precise and clear way. Divergent races of people result when enough separation between genetic lineages has taken place. The separation is measured both in degree of time and in degree of isolation. Personally, I don't know whether to be conservative or liberal when speaking of the degrees necessary to constitute a new race. While it may be best to say there are over ten major races, and dozens others remaining on a very small scale, it may be best to say there's only as little as three races. But, those three races, white, black, and Asian-Native to the Americas are clearly distinguishable when each one is represented in its typical form.

That the issue becomes absurd when speaking of the less typical representatives of races, such as those that evolved in the area in-between where any given two major races evolved, or when speaking of mixed races, is not because race is unsubstantial, but because so many people define racial differences in a binary fashion. Binary, all or nothing thinking, is common among modern people when applied to human issues. Many people like to think that people are either entirely something or entirely not something. But, when concerning non-human issues suddenly their ability to reason in shades comes back, and they can once again understand better the organic fluctuating nature of reality.

This inability to think outside of absolute terms relates to a misunderstanding of the relationship between words and reality. That the misunderstanding compartmentally is more common when concerning human issues likely stems from the transcendental way of viewing humans common to many religions.

Instead of defining what cause racial divergence, then observing what traits are most common in differing races, in a scientific way, as is done so easily with all non human matters, people apply a label, as if the label speaks for itself, and when the label simply cannot such as in the cases of mixed races, rather than rethink their methods of discrimination, they instead declare the labels entirely meaningless. They go from considering a label having absolute collision with the real, rather than simply being an inexact, but useful symbols for the real, to considering a label to be absolutely meaningless.

5. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Bewildered, Bewildered...
    You have no complaint
    You are what your are and you ain't what you ain't

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I like that song
    I put it on the " songs mentioning a girls name " thread

Anyway I am Young gifted and black :afro:

7. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75DbkiZvxX4

Do you know what you are?
    You are what you is
    You is what you am
    (A cow don't make ham...)
    You ain't what you're not
    So see what you got
    You are what you is
    An' that's all it 'tis

A foolish young man
    From a middle class fam'ly
    Started singin' the blues
    'Cause he thought it was manly
    Now he talks like the Kingfish
    ("Saffiiiee!")
    From Amos 'n Andy
    ("Holy mack'l dere. . .Holy mack'l dere")
    He tells you that chitlins. . .
    Well, they taste just like candy
    He thinks that he's got
    De whole thang down
    From the Nivea Lotion To de Royal Crown
    Do you know what you are?
    You are what you is
    You is what you am
    (A cow don't make ham. . .)
    You ain't what you're not
    So see what you got
    You are what you is
    An' that's all it 'tis

A foolish young man
    Of the Negro Persuasion
    Devoted his life
    To become a Caucasian
    He stopped eating pork
    He stopped eating greens
    He traded his dashiki
    ("Uhuru!")
    For some Jordache Jeans
    He learned to play golf
    An' he got a good score
    Now he says to himself
    "I AIN'T NO ****** NO MORE.

HEY! HEY!
    "I don't understand you. . ."
    BWANA MA-COO-BAH"
    Would you please speak more clearly..."
    MERCEDES BAINNNNNNNZ
    Who is who
    (I don't know...)
    'N what is what
    (Somethin' I just don't know...)
    'N why is this
    (Tell me now...)
    Appropriot
    (That's a funny pronunciation if 'n ever I heard one...)
    If you don't like
    (Where'd you get that word?)
    What you has got
    (Appropriot? The word is not...)
    Drop it in the dirt
    (Drop it yeah. . .)
    'N let it rot
    (I can smell it now. . .)
    Someone else
    (Here de come, here de come...)
    Will surely come
    (I told you they was comin'. . .)
    'N pick it up
    (That's right!)
    'Cause he wants some
    (An'he wants it for free. ..)
    And when one day
    (There will come a day...)
    You wonder who (I wonder too...)
    You used to was
    (Who I was anyway. . .)
    'N what you do
    (I used to work at the post office...)
    You'll scratch your head
    (But I don't wanna un-do my doo. . .)
    'N look around
    (just to see what's goin' on. . .)
    But what you lost
    (Can't seem to find it...)
    Will not be found
    A Mercedes Benz.. Do you know what you are?
    (I know...)
    You are what you is
    (I'm the kinda guy...)
    You is what you am
    (That ought to be drivin' a Mercedes Benz...)
    A cow don't make a ham
    (A four-fifty SLC. . .)
    You ain't what your not
    (A big of red one. . .)
    So see what you got
    (With some golf clubs stickin' out de trunk.. .)
    You are what you is
    (I'm gwine down to de links on Saturday mornin'. ..)
    An' that's all it is
    (Gimme a five dollar bill. . .)
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS
    (And an overcoat too...)
    AN' THAT'S ALL IT IS
    (Robbie, take me to Creek Town...)
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS
    (I'm harder than yer husband; harder than yer husband...)
    AN THAT'S ALL IT IS
    (I'm goin down to White Street, y'all...)
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS
    (Gone down to the Mudd Club, 'n work the wall...)
    AN THAT'S ALL IT IS
    ('N work the floor 'n work the pipe
    'N work the wall some more. . .
    And here we are at the Mudd Club, y'all...

1 person likes this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Interesting question--I think no. There is a distinct difference between sex and race, with one being something of a construct, to my understanding. But who knows...if it does become a thing, I don't think it will change our lives significantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.