Is Television Better Or Worse Now Than When You Were A Kid?

Discussion in 'TV' started by Dude111, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Has TV got better or worse since you were younger..... In my opinion its MUCH WORSE!!

1) Digital instead of analog (Not as nice an experience (Natural,etc))
    2) CRAPPY PROGRAMMING!!!!!!! (Nothing worth watching)
    3) OLDER SHOWS SHOWN DIGITALLY JUST ARE NOT THAT APPEALING TO ME....... (I prefer to see them how I saw them then OR NOT AT ALL) -- They were FINE on analog cable in the 80s :)

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some ways better.....some ways worse......
    I can always find something worthwhile watching these days with sooooooo many channels to choose from.....but much of the innocence of the shows when I was little is gone, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think the cartoons were way better when I was younger. Way better.

Actually everything was better.

Sport was real
    Cartoons better
    Movies better
    TV shows better

Now it's;

Sports manipulated by the gambling community, soft cocks can't play real hard hitting football no more
    Cartoons are shit
    Movies a fucking horrendous these days
    TV shows are "reality" but do not portray reality to anyone remotely even common on this earth.

TV blows.

Now the exceptions are, along with manipulated sports, that sports shows are much better and very well informative. Mainly I find ESPN to be really good just to like zone out and you catch a lot of info.

3 people like this.
  4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

if you really think oldschool analog cable was better than modern digital cable and high definition then you're delusional .... i remember how bad TV used to look lol

2 people like this.
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this.

i watched more tv when i was a kid and enjoyed it a lot more, but when i watch those old shows now they generally suck just as much as the current shows. so i think it's more about my interests changing than new tv being inherently bad.

Hugs & Spit and Piney like this.
  6. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

I strongly prefer digital. No fussing with rabbit ears, none of the grainy images with which I grew up. The only downside is when you watch something where the make up is not done well, ot can be distracting as HDMI leaves no secrets. Like when Tom Cruise's veneers were loose, or certain people with bad skin. I don't like when the magic is missing. Overall though, special effects look better than ever, and beautiful locations can be breathtaking.

7. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I would say it is a lot worse. I like the nature shows. Some day, I will get rid of the thing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I do sometimes miss the lower resolution and the fuzziness of background static :D

Back then though, you didn't notice it was any lower resolution.

idk man, I'm finding there are a lot of really good shows out there. But they're more scattered and I usually don't find out about them or figure out they're something I like until they've already been cancelled or start watching 2 seasons in. Does seem like there's a lot less 'lameness' too when it comes to basic and cable TV. There aren't a whole lot of people (namely kids) that get to experience having basic channels at home and going to a friends house and have the joy of watching CABLE TV anymore though. More 20-something yr olds like me stuck with basic TV struggling to make ends meet lol.

9. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I used to watch it in those days so Better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toRZtagUe2Q&feature=youtu.be

10. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Back in the day, there were fewer remakes. (The original Longest Yard was much better than the remake)

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

on one hand, that makes perfect sense; there had been fewer movies made back then, so there were fewer movies to remake.

but yeah, there are no original ideas in hollywood anymore. most movies are either sequels or remakes, and then occasionally you'll get as close as they have to an original anymore: a movie based on a book or a play.

12. Laci

Laci Members

I enjoyed the TV shows more when I was a child. I used to sit in front of the TV with my grandpa and watch Andy Griffith, Mr. Ed, Gilligan's Island, Leave It To Beaver, Hey Arnold a bit, Cat Dog, The Rugrats. Oh, and Animal Planet actually aired shows about animals.

I miss when there wasn't commercials every 5 minutes, TV shows were based on family humor, life humor, intelligent and interesting subjects. Now it's all "reality" shows, manipulated news channels, sport channels, and crappy movies. Boo.

goodearth likes this.
  13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ most of those shows were from 50 years ago, not when you were a child. they were just still shown then, as some of them still are.

those kinds of shows do still exist, at probably about the same rate they did when they first aired. it's just that originally they were the only options, whereas now they are one of 250 options at any given time.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

too many commercials .... think of how much bandwidth the cable providers could save and allocate in far more useful places if they didn't waste it on broadcasting commercials that most people just zoom through on their dvrs

1 person likes this.
  15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i liked it better before

..before every program needed to have a gay character..

Orison likes this.
  16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Way better now.

Things seemed to have improved in this Netflix era

There was a lull, between the introduction of PS1 until things like Netflix started up.

So basically the whole 2000s, where TV sucked so bad.

But now, gonna get into Aqaurius, Walking dead, Falling Skies, House of Cards etc

No shit like that when I was a kid

17. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

There was plenty of bad TV programs made in the old days, you just don't get to see the bad stuff. The other thing is the mood and attitude of society changes over time. A program like Dallas finished because it done what it had to say and the mood of society had moved on. An attempted modernised revival did not work. Knots Landing that was a spin off was more intelligently written but does not look do dated.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I actually think we're in a golden age of television. There are a LOT of well written, acted, directed and just all around very high quality shows that have came out within the last decade or so. And I love how the platform is shifting away from cable to streaming services. I never watched tv when it was just cable because nothing is more boring to me than flipping through hundreds of channels just to discover nothing is on, and you never caught your favorite shows because they only came on in very specific time slots - now I can just go to whatever show it is I want to watch and watch it whenever I want.

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Do you mean the content of the shows or the technical quality of the production????

there have always been great programs and crappy ones.
    I have hard time grasping that you can actually think the production quality was better.

and why the hell does such a Luddite as yourself continue to use such evil technology as the internet and computers?

poser.

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Those phony laff-tracks are still used--gads, what shit. Usually, no laff-track and there may be a chance that some ACTUAL writers have been employed who depend on decent writing.

I looked at something called Two Broke Girls (for a few minutes) and I cannot believe that absolute garbage such as this can possibly have an audience.

And when Gilligans Island was advertising about their premiere years ago, I thought that that may be interesting----oh my aching head.

1 person likes this.