Babylon 5 Set For The Big Screen Reboot Treatment

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by theindiereef, May 30, 2015.

1. theindiereef

theindiereef Members

Any B5 fans?

I just heard JM Straczynski is planning on rebooting the original series and finally brinigng it to the big screen. He's done a few spin off feature episodes since then, most of which have been pants really, but I think this show has the potential to translate into an epic sci-fi feature film, with new special effects. A lot of the key cast members have sadly passed since the show ended back in the 90's so they'll probably draft in a load of new people. JMS wants Warner Bros to fund it, but nothing is set in stone yet. If they don't he'll fund it himself.

Whatever it becomes, I'm sure it will be better than Guardians of the Galaxy. Shame we wont be seeing Andreas Katsulas play G'Kar in though, but hopefully we'll get Garibaldi and Londo in there at least. I hope they write new characters in rather than getting younger people to play the same character, but I suppose that's sort of what a reboot is.

It will be never anything as good as the original series though.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/08/babylon-5-movie-eyes-2016-production-start/

Weird to also lean that JMS also was the guy who wrote He-Man and She-Ra back in the 80's. Also recently wrote the screenplays for Thor, which was a good film, and WWZ which was utter shite.

See how many of the cast have died since in this 20th anniversary eulogy. I just learned about Michael o Hare recently. I think it's a conspiracy and they are all being assassinated by Starfleet who are sending terminators back from the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KlNEh2Yo4

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I was just watching Bab 5 last nite. I love the show and I'm happy to hear there's a movie coming out.

I can watch this show on my android TV box (G box Q) anytime.

Yes, I would miss G'Kar, my favorite character on that show. He was a very good actor and was on Star Trek too.

Too bad Billy Mumy was stuck with Lanier, the worst role on the show, probably what killed his career as an actor. Be interesting to see if he comes back.

I also like the PSI corps woman. Hopefully she'll be back too along with Chekov from Star Trek who played a Psi corps leader.

Great show, great plots, but above all great characters made this series a hit in my book!

3. Lily89

Lily89 Members

Babylon 5 is really interesting space station saga. My husband likes it a lot, I watched few episodes with him.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Seems; just as with Battlestar Galactica (latter remake) B5 had a inter-wined plot-line that needed to be followed on different levels and all needed to be understood.
    The question is -(more relevant nowadays) does one make [SIZE=10.5pt]1 [/SIZE]Movie - of a couple of hours -or split it into i.e. 5 parts-along the lines of the Seasons:-

[SIZE=10pt]Season 1 – Year 2258: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Signs and Portents[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Season 2 – Year 2259: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]The Coming of Shadows[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Season 3 – Year 2260: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Point of No Return[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Season 4 – Year 2261: No Surrender, No Retreat [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Season 5 – Year 2262: The Wheel of Fire[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]This would require a long term commitment (of cast) and Investment - but hey - That'll be Hollywood[/SIZE]

6. The Walking Dickhead

I don't think retelling the original story would do it justice. The build up and climatic episodes of the OS just couldn't be matched. Needs new stories, a new twist. But then again the story arc that ran through the original series was so fucking epic any new stories couldn't really come close to it. I also wouldn't want something of the likes of the Star Wars-esque new film plots that are basically just the original plot retold in a different way.

There have been a few spin off TV movies since then all of which (that I saw anyway) completely sucked.

It's a shame that so many of the original cast have died since, most recently being Stephen Furst, so a 20 years into the future reunion story would be hard to do.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing it brought back with more up to date state of the art effects and sets. The original alien costumes were great and have been influential in lots of subsequent space sci-fi including Star Trek. The ships were also pretty far out, but the CGI space scenes, while they looked pretty good at the time now look quite dated.

At least we've got Star Trek Discovery to look forward too imminently. They've really gone to town with the look of that it seems, but will the plot and characters give credit to the original Star Trek canon?

7. The Walking Dickhead

Speaking of which (Babylon 5's influence on scifi) one of the new characters in Star Trek Discovery, Lt Saru is of an alien species that can sense coming death.

[​IMG]

Quite similar in look and nature to the Soul Hunters from an early episodes of B5 (really cool episode, very dark and weird like old sci fi)

[​IMG]

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps you missed where it said:

Please note: Our lists are not ranked; all items have equal standing in our brains.

Which I would have to agree since while I love B5 and it's in my top ten list it's not the best sci-fi series within the last 25 Years

Hotwater

9. The Walking Dickhead

Oh you just have to spoil everything [​IMG]

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lack of interest would be my guess

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'm not really all that hyped about Star Trek Discovery

I want something brand spanking new, no more reboots!!!

12. The Walking Dickhead

...or more Daryl.

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It will be really hard to replace Walter Koenig who played Psi Cop Alfred Bester, he was perfect for the role

hotwater