Any Difference Between Domain Name Registrars?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by ezm8, May 26, 2015.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

So ICANN has a list of accredited domain name registrars. They may differ in the languages that they support, their geographic location, whether or not they have signed RAA 2013, maybe the price that they charge.

Other than the price and language that they support, is there any real difference?

2. HeathenHippie

HeathenHippie Member

There's not much difference between them. I've not encountered one that provides what I'd consider good support, so I shop on price alone. There's no sense paying any more than you must for a common service.

newbie-one likes this.
  3. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Everyone I have used seems about the same. The prices can vary a little as you know, and I usually end up buying whatever domain host offers the best deal, cause a lot of them do special sales --especially if you're using a site builder site instead of coding your own.

If you are coding your own site, and just need a domain, namecheap.com is solid
    but again, might be worth shopping around just to see if any site is offereing a discount, I've seen them go for anywhere from ~$8 to $30 /yearly subscription

4. newbie-one

I think that you have a right to transfer names between registrars if they have signed RAA 2013, but I'm not sure. I'm mostly interested in reserving my preferred name, so I think cheap may be the way to go.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Pretty much just go for best price. Especially if you are IT savvy and can build yourself a website without needing any help. There is one tiny difference. Some registrars can get your domain registered within 6-12 hours while others can take 3 days or more. Or at least that's how it was 5 years ago, I've gotten out of the IT biz since then.

6. newbie-one

^ how do you know who can do 6-12hrs vs 3 days?

7. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You'd have to contact them to find out probably. From past experience, and again this was 5+ years ago, 1and1.com was 3-5 biz days and register.com (now web.com) was usually well within 12 hours for a .com to get registered and propagated up on the root servers. Some dot countries domains are different. The difference in price was significant, about double.

8. toocool

toocool Members

Some do give good support. When my wife was running our pottery business online we used 1&1 to buy a domain name and they were pretty good! They also helped us with the running of the site too, which was a hosting dealy thing. Mind, we don't do that anymore, but I can speak from experience. I guess it depends on exactly what you want. We also needed to transfer a domain name from another site from a different provider and that wasn't too difficult lol. It's all Greek to me. Anyway hope that helps!

9. Goander

Goander Members

Mostly just price.

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I use BT, the national telephone company in the UK to supply our internet. They host our domain names and deal with the technicalities, so we get support 24/7, 365 days of the year. I think that the domain costs us about £5 a year extra. However. we do not have a website, so they are only looking after our email servers.

11. urome

urome Members

If you are creating a site and have encountered any problems during its creation, I recommend that you contact the highly qualified staff of this service: https://www.peeklogic.com/services/salesforce-app-development/. High reliability, security, I’ve been using the site for many months and it has managed to prove itself more than once.