Lost In A Sea Of Ignorance, S.o.s.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by DarkSideOfTheMoon94, May 26, 2015.

1. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

Not gonna go into too much detail, but I have changed for the better several months ago and living in this material obsessed spiritually void town in Kentucky is slowly killing me. Don't get me wrong, the state itself is beautiful and the people are friendly for the most part but I honestly can't take it anymore. I have tried to be an example to the people around me, but while they do listen to what I say, they don't actually act on it. All the people here care about is themselves and their image, and thats not the way to live (its not their fault though,thats what our society reward today). I need some advice on were to go though. I gotta find a community built on love and acceptance instead of competition and greed, so where should I look?
    Namaste:)

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

try a commune?

hope you find what you are looking for

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

just remember that no matter where you go, there you are. ;)

The secret to the game of life is making it awesome regardless of outside circumstances.
    Maybe you need to look inside to find what you are looking for rather than thinking a change of zip code will do it for ya, because generally it won't.

1 person likes this.
  4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

What the previous posters said is true. However Kentucky is Kentucky and nothing is gonna change that.

There are more open minds in other places.

Seek and ye shall find, so they say...

5. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

I have found peace with myself, its others I have a bitter taste for. They are stuck trying to reclaim the past and avoid the unknown of the future here, instead of being responsible humans looking forward and reflecting on the past, while putting in effort to make a better future. Instead they bicker and gossip about unimportant issues, and force feed education and religion. Im only 20 and am simply seeking an area that i can focus becoming a better person to all forms of life. I know its selfish to want to leave the people here to continue their routine, but I am simply not experienced enough to make a real difference here. Thank you 3 for the replies though:)

6. Laci

Laci Members

Ya know, there are so many places that would love and accept you for who you are.

My personal suggestions would be the following:

1) Eugene, Oregon. Eugene is one of the biggest hippie towns in all of the US. My uncle moved there about a year ago and is the happiest he's ever been. I'll tell ya, employment is a bit hard to find there, but most of the people are very nice and welcoming. It's a good place to start.

2) Iowa City, Iowa is another really good area. Iowa is a pretty open minded state, I've lived here my whole life. Iowa City is within 25 minutes of Cedar Rapids, Coralville, North Liberty, everything is close by. Almost everyone is democratic, gay marriage is legal. Lots of artsy types. It's got a great university (University of Iowa), and everyone is friendly. You have everything you could want in a larger town, but everything is within walking distance, very pedestrian friendly.

3) San Francisco, CA. Great place, great people. Too large of a city for my liking, but a good place for someone who is open minded.

4) Colorado. Love the people, love the environment.

5) New Orleans I've heard is a pretty good place, open minded people. If you ever go, I suggest you visit Villalobos Pitbull Rescue.

2 people like this.
  7. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I've lived and worked in Eugene and Colorado. Very nice places. Colorado is much more expensive than Oregon.

Yes, Eugene is very welcoming and cool place to hang. Yes, hard to find work there. That's why it spawned so many Cooperatives and Collectives.

Just start your own biz, and if you have it together, you can survive and almost thrive in Eugene.

But beware the winters there are nasty and the summers hot, muggy and smoggy... Fall is best!

And there's always the Country Faire, but it just ain't the same as when I worked there (in the 70s).

Also remember, as of July 1st, recreational cannabis is legal in Oregon (as well as Colorado).

Oh, you can forget about the SF Bay area unless you're some kinda tech genius who can draw a seven figure salary, or you like livin on the streets. This ain't the Summer of Love coming.

There used to be a happening scene on Maui, esp. Paia, Haiku and of course Little Beach (drum circle), and out towards Hana. Of course it was really happening in the 70s, not so much, more of a surfer scene now. Hard to survive there however without a biz or marketable skill, but lots of small groups of hippies still living in the jungle, judging by some of the available tree houses I've seen..

If you don't mind working in a hotel or restaurant, you can survive there. The real problem of course is you'd rather be playing like all the tourists and not sweating your ass off serving them.

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, it rains a lot--but it's a dry rain!

If anyone knows how to WORK REALLY HARD-- wants to learn a trade and is honest-------well-you know.

9. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

Thanks for all the replies, i have thought long and hard and i still cant decide. But this will no doubt help me on my search!

10. Laci

Laci Members

Make sure you let us know where ya end up :) We'll have an internet house-warming party!

11. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

Well after a good time of reflection and meditation i've decided my next home should be in eugene. Be there in about a year, gonna take the ole Oregon trail *zing*

12. Laci

Laci Members

That's so exciting! You will adore Eugene, I'm quite sure, and fit in perfectly there. My uncle lives there and loves it, can't imagine living anywhere else. Lots of health food stores, shopping, good public transportation system, cost of living is moderate.

13. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

As long as i can live free and in happiness, ill be content. And Eugene is hopefully the place, if anyone see this that's from there please message me, or reply on here! Im friendly to all and am probably the most chill and non-judgmental dude you'll ever meet. And skip, as far as the winters go, i live in Kentucky so the weather here is pretty similar, probably not as much rain though (although this year the rain has poured all summer). And im planning on taking a trip cross country there, but would kinda like to plan our arrival near the time of one of the towns bigger events, any advice?