Ny Times Article On Failed Commune In Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by AlchemistGeorge, May 25, 2015.

1. AlchemistGeorge

AlchemistGeorge Living Communally since 1995

They Built it, But No One Came

PITMAN, Pa. — They slept in the barn their first winter, on a straw mattress with antique linen sheets and a feather tick. There was no electricity, heat or plumbing, so they made their own candles, used a chamber pot and drew water from a spring.
    They were born Michael Colby and Donald Graves, but once there, on 63 acres in the Mahantongo Valley, a bowl of land in central Pennsylvania, they changed their names to Christian and Johannes Zinzendorf and called themselves the Harmonists, inspired by a splinter group of 18th-century Moravian brothers who believed in the spiritual values of an agrarian life.
    Their ideals were lofty but simple: They would live off the land, farming with Colonial-era tools, along with a band of like-minded men dressed in homespun robes wielding scythes and pickaxes. They would sleep in atmospheric log cabins and other 18th-century structures that they had rescued from the area and that they began to reconstruct, painstakingly, brick by crumbling brick and log by log.

But what if you built a commune, and no one came?

2. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Sad story but glad they finally found peace and acceptance in their old age. The bit about charisma... I relate to that. That's probably how things would go if I tried starting anything up.

I wonder what happened to the loin cloth dude? I wonder if he did himself in, was taken away or just wandered off? They said he was the last to leave, but they didn't mention the circumstances...