Fast Food Vs. Whole Food

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by egger, May 21, 2015.

1. egger

egger Member

The topic of fast food arises frequently. It's worth looking at some of the attributes of fast food vs. whole foods.

The fast food items such as flurries and apple pie are often high in added fat, even though they are sometimes mistakenly perceived as being mostly carbohydrate because of their sweetness and hidden fat.

For those who like a sweet taste, whole foods that are naturally sweet are reasonable for weight loss. They have a low calorie density and are filling due to the water and fiber. Whole fruits are a good option.

The watery fibrous fruits are sweet yet are low-calorie, relatively filling, and nutrient-dense. Examples are watermelon, strawberries, grapes, grapefruit, berries, tangerines, and apricots. Some of these types of fruits are effectively near zero calorie or even negative calorie (using more energy to digest than the calories abssorbed from the food).

It may take a few weeks for the mind and body to transition from fast food sweets to those of whole fruits.

http://www.foodiejunky.com/8-negative-calorie-foods-what-should-you-be-eating/

2. egger

egger Member

Not to make things too mathematical, but numbers do have something important to say.

A 12 oz McFlurry has about 650 calories. That's 54 calories per oz. 32% of the calories are from fat.

A 2.7 oz McDonalds apple pie has 250 calories. That's 93 calories per oz. 44% of the calories are from fat.

The apple pie has 71% more calories per oz than the McFlurry. The pie is dense in calories, high in fat, and low in fiber.

-------

A whole apple is about 72 calories for 5.3 oz. That's 14 calories per oz. (about 15% of the calorie density of the McDonalds apple pie). To get the same amount of calories, about 7 times as many apples can be eaten as apple pie. Those seven apple will likely provide more satiety because of the water and fiber and the extra mass of food compared with a calorie-dense food such as fast food pie.

-------

McDonalds information (pdf)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnutrition.mcdonalds.com%2Fgetnutrition%2Fnutritionfacts.pdf&ei=6ypaVdrmLYWhNs2ygPAD&usg=AFQjCNEvvCIZylh_nIwWdBEcz8CkC-ahaQ&bvm=bv.93564037,d.eXY

Nutrition Facts

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that whole food has fast food beat in all ways nutritional.

4. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

It is interesting how far off an apple from an apple pie can be 0.o

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So.... Why would anybody eat this shyt.

Other than the fact fast food does make a functional laxative.

6. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I've worked in places where the only food option that seems remotely safe is Mickie D's. But just look at the magic they have created with grade M beef!

7. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Uhh oh, Mcdonalds the bad guy again... It's not like they're putting a gun to anyones head to make them eat there.

Mcdonalds apple pies used to be really good when they still deep fried 'em. (I'm sure they were a zillion calories but so what? As long as you're not treating them like a food group.) Then after the outcry from the fat people lobby they started baking them and now they suck. They were one of the few things I used to get at McD's, that and the sausage biscuit. Like maybe once a month at most.
    I'd have to be damned hungry to eat anything from the rest of their menu.

Pie has to have added fat, it's part of the pastry crust.
    It's a good bet Mom's homemade pie doesn't stack up much better than Mcdonalds when it comes to the calorie count, and it's likely she's using Crisco shortening in the crust! (I prefer a pure lard crust, they're flakier lol)

Pie is one of the pleasures of life. Nothin' like a big slice of hot apple pie 'n ice cream.
    If you always have to just eat whole foods and completely deny yourself all those 'unhealthy' culinary delights, sure, you might live longer...

...or it just might seem that way. [​IMG]

8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Ok, I'm kidding about Grade M beef. That's Krystal/Whitecastle anyway. And really, I am glad to know that some sort of standardized selection is available when the local fare is dodgy. So while I don't pass through the golden arches very often, they are handy to have around when the rest of the places only serve mysteries.

9. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Their beef isn't bad. When you're on the road and your choices are McD's, overpriced truckstop slop, or convenience store, I know which one I'd pick.

1 person likes this.