Full-Body Vs. Split Routines

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 4, 2015.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It seems like a lot of people still do split routines when they work out, despite evidence showing that they have little effectiveness in creating substantial gains in the absence of drugs / HGH / steroids. Split training is when people train one part of the body at a time (legs, arms, chest, back, etc), and a full-body workout is, as the name suggests, a workout which involves multiple muscle groups. Full-body workouts have shown to have better results in most people. I think a full-body workout 3 days a week is optimal, which is centered around compound lifts like bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead press, etc.

When you work out, do you prefer a full-body or split routine?

2. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I prefer a full body workout. I'm pretty tiny as it is, so I've been doing one full body workout per week, and 2 - 3 spin classes.

3. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Depends on the specific programme for me.

How many reps, how many sets, how many exercises.

I have done a full body workout for muscle mass. But its only 7 or so sets.

Likewise for definition, you can do a full body workout.
    The problem comes when you are doing something like 7 upper and 7 lower body exercises in one session.

Currently, I'm doing lower and upper on different days.

If you are building mass, I think its too much to try and repair the whole body in one day. So I think its best to separate them by 48 hrs.
    But if you are doing definition work/stamina, the full body one day is fine.

4. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I think split routines work just fine for me and many other people. In fact, some people with not so great technique should not do full body workouts. I usually do split routines with super sets in the weight room and also circuit training which is more of a full body workout.

1 person likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think it inevitably comes down to the effort you put in really.

I've seen a lot of people who claim 15 minutes a day was all they needed to look great and they do look great. That's a hard fought 15 minutes but is a hard fought, no bullshit 15 minutes better than 45 minutes of guys yapping and pulling their dicks in a gym? Probably.

My workouts are about 20-30 mins. That's right now at;

6x70 sets of crunches
    5x 15 sets of push-ups
    And arm weights with a little stretching inbetween. I watch tv while I'm doing this, something easy like TV show games, wheel of fortune etc. something I can still play but without looking at the tv all the time. I've accomplished everything I wanted to in this 20-30 minute session.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

currently i alternate between an upper body workout and a lower body workout. i was doing full body, but i had stopped seeing any gains and needed to change things up, plus i was neglecting a few muscle groups that i just didn't have time to hit while cramming everything into one short workout. so i started doing this and it seems to be working for now.

really, i've gotten comparable results either way. splitting it up works better for my schedule because i have a limited amount of workout time each day, but otherwise it doesn't seem to make that much difference whether i split it or not.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Split Routine starting with the arms.....

A bodybuilder who used injections to make his arms large wanted to be the Incredible Hulk.

Romario Dos Santos Alves’ obsession with looking like the incredible hulk nearly cost him the very limbs that he craved to be the biggest and best they could be,

The 25-year-old pumped up his arms by injecting a toxic cocktail of oil, painkillers and alcohol into his biceps.

“The solution did work in making my arms huge, but it wasn’t real muscle,” Alves said. “I remember the doctor told me that they would need to amputate both arms. They said everything in there, all my muscles, were rock. I couldn’t even inject my arms – they were full of rocks.”
    The synthol made his arm muscles balloon to ridiculous proportions. Suddenly people were afraid of his unusual and beastly appearance.
    Doctors soon informed the bodybuilder that his muscles were destroyed, and they had turned to a rock-like substance from the injections. The cells in his arm had died, he was literally decomposing from the inside.

Hotwater

8. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Why do something like that? Really?

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Cool story, bro, but what does injecting synthol have to do with this thread?

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If you don’t see the connection then you never will

Hotwater