Rummaging...rummage Sales....do You Go To Any?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Moonglow181, May 3, 2015.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hell....I don't need anything, but if there is a rummage sale somewhere in the spring or fall, when they are here, I will go for the fun of the hunt. I have found many wonderful treasures over the years where I would have not found anywhere else...or even have looked for some things as I would never have even imagined them.
    I have found useful things....brand new rugs for the floors which get ruined with animals here....so i don;t want to spend even the cheapest prices in stores for one which is usually about $300.00...but I have found several of those at rummage sales for $20.00 or so......Have not found a new one yet this year....though.....but will continue looking...I have found valuable toys....dishes.....beautiful clothes.....cat carrying cases...you name it..... :D

Today I went to one which disappointed the hell out of me....as I searched for anything I liked....nothing. that sale has gone down hill, and I probably won';t go to it again....but then I heard about a rummage sale on its last day today...and anything there was free......so off I went to that....and i could not believe the amount of stuff they still had and in many rooms.....and furniture and brand new items and jewelry and I pulled a wedding dress off the rack that they were selling the first day for $150.00 and put that in my huge hefty bag for free. It is an antique...made out of linen...You cannot even find one like that these days....i found books and tons of tops and jeans.....3 huge hefty bags i carried out of there for free......now I have a lot of work to do sorting through, organizing, cleaning, etc...all of that stuff......
    I wind up finding homes for things I don't use....or selling somewhere......

anyway...this free bag sale today was in Chappaqua....westchester County NY where the Clintons have a home....so I am definitely putting them on the map now and saving my pennies....and will go in the fall and spring on the first day of that from now on.......On the third day it is always free what is left....was better than any other rummage sale I have gone to on the first day....

How about you?
    Do you like rummaging and finding deals and treasures and yards sales and things?

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

back in the day yes......nowadays I would be afraid of dragging bed bugs back to my house with something like a rug....if I know the people I might go

3. Moonglow181

bed bugs with a rug...have not thought of that.....usually with a rug...i put it outside in the sun for a day or two...vacuum it on the porch and bring it in.....hmmmm...something to think about more carefully......

4. Moonglow181

I remember when I was buying dolls and was into Barbies......the vintage ones...and went to one of these sales and looked under the table...not many people think to do that...but I do...I look high and low...and found a box with a vintage beautiful twist and turn Barbie from the mod era. She is beautiful and in perfect condition, and she gets a hefty price on ebay...but i kept her and all of the vintage clothes I found for her in that same box.....I was ecstatic that day...i think I paid $5.00 for her and all of her belongings.....what a steal that was.

oops that was $5.00...typos....

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Is this like a garage sale?

I like them. :) I also like big swap meets where like 100s of folk gather with junk on their tarps. You find some nifty things this way. :)

6. Moonglow181

Rummage sales are basically what churches and temples in any town do twice a year here.....

7. Moonglow181

I am all about cleanliness, though...if i ever get any wool things...coats, etc......you run them in the drier.,.high heat with bounce sheets......wash clothes.....any blankets gotten for dogs with bleach.......etc....now, rugs.....I cannot really wash those....so that I will have to reconsider from now on......I think.

1 person likes this.
  8. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Yeah, me too. But I'm lots more selective now than I was in the past. Those nasty bed bugs can hide in furniture, clothes, and even in electronic appliances. I don't want to bring home more than I bargained for :)

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can't you just douse everything in bug spray?

10. Moonglow181

Well, shit...maybe I will just grab just the jewelry from now on then....:D

11. Moonglow181

Yeah...does bleach kill these things in the wash? I leave everything outside...until they go into the washing machine here.....

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've never actually been to a rummage or yard sale but I know I would love it. I go thrift shopping almost every week but I was thinking I might have better luck at a big rummage sale. I love to restore old beaten up furniture but furniture can get kinda pricey in thrift stores sometimes.

13. Moonglow181

Oh, you would have loved it here today, Meliai...such furniture for free...but I have no more room for furniture and no truck to haul it away in.....They had dressers, and chairs and sofa and desks and tables.....antique wonderful stuff......

wow...what was there the first day?...if this stuff was still there? Mind boggling, really.....

maybe I will just go to this sale every year and forget most of the other ones.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5clyB7Z3ChI

1 person likes this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Not usually rummage sales... I do go the Goodwill and a couple of ReStores quite often. No time for yard sales anymore and they usually just have crap anyways.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They next swap meet I'm looking for a lot of old mechanics tin sign etc. Castro, Halvoline, Shell etc. for my own garage which I'm painfully slowly turning into a bar. I like old rusty looking signs and oil cans. I love the smell of old stuff. >.>

I also am interested in old bottles and rabbit traps and interesting statues etc. also these things are great for vinyl collectors albeit all I find is shit. :D

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

not really. i never really find anything i want when i do go, and i am usually at work when they are being held anyway.

so is something holding you back from going? it's not like saying "i've never been to paris but i know i would love it," this is actually pretty easily attainable.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i will stop at any kind of sale

especially yard sales...i find tons of good things and broken fixable things....i mostly end up buying tools and equipment

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I really don't like them, I've always found used items rather eerie (with some exceptions).

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Every time I stop at a yard sale all that's there is kids toys/clothes/crap and a bin of country and western cassettes... [​IMG]