Can The Soul Be Teleported?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by skip, May 1, 2015.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Scientists claim they can teleport photons, yes?

And they think this is the first step to teleporting dense objects and eventually people.

But at some point they must be confronted with the dilemma of transporting the soul of a human being.

Is a soul merely the sum of a person's atoms arranged in a certain way?

Or is it more than that?

Or does it exist at all separate from the physical being?

So would it be transported along with a human or not?

I submit transporting subatomic particles isn't the same as transporting a living creature.

If they could transport a human, what would be left behind?

Perhaps something they haven't discovered or measured yet.

A wormhole on the other hand, would probably be capable of allowing the transport of large objects and living creatures...

But anything that would attempt to disassemble and reassemble a person by transmitting data only, might be doomed to failure.

Think about these new 3D printers. They can produce any object from many materials.

So if it's possible to do that one day on the atomic scale, theoretically you could reproduce a human being.

But would it's soul and memories be transported too?

1 person likes this.
  2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am of belief that the energy or soul or aura...for lack of a better word......who the person is.... can already be teleported....and it is just the mass of the person not yet travelling this way.....but I think we are a far way from actually teleporting a live being, and it could be very dangerous...and is bound to fail, especially at first.. . i certainly would not want to be a guinea pig for it.

Don't you feel people around sometimes, who are miles away? Sometimes it is great...other times completely unwelcommed.....I have learned how to send the unwelcommed away, though...

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

nobody knows. that's why it would be really interesting to see what happens when they try it.

i just know i won't be offering myself up as a guinea pig for that experiment.

4. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

I believe once scientists figure out how to rip apart, put back together and then replicate DNA strands, anything will be possible, including teleportation.

No need, my friend. It would more than likely start with inanimate objects which, of course, have subatomic particles and DNA's, like wood. Then move to rats, mice. Finally, if a human guinea pig is needed, it would (could) come in the form of Death Row inmates.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not yet.

But as I understand it teleporting is more like copying a human (or their soul/being) rather than relocating the original human. So it is more like duplicating the soul, rather than sending a person's building materials through space. Both seem really impressive and a bit scary to do with human beings of course.
    If it would be possbile to teleport a soul to something else wouldn't you have two versions of yourself? Would they delete the original self after trans/tele -port? :eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

This would all depend on what the soul is.

I'm not exactly sure what Christians think about this, but in the Bhagavad Gita krishna says 'for the soul there is never birth or death'. So according to that version, the soul isn't actually to be considered as in the body, therefore the idea of teleporting it wouldn't arise.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

According to that line only though, it is not sure if we could copy the soul or not (which seems a more accurate term of teleporting than transporting it). Maybe it is just me but when I think of teleporting I think more of transporting than copying, at first instance at least.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I just read an article about quantum teleporation of photons and no it wouldn't be the same as teleporting a human or creature.

From what I gathered, what was teleported was really information the photon carried to an entangled photon. So the photon itself didn't even literally teleport across space, rather the information from it was teleported into a photon it is already in concert with.

Large objects like humans do not really experience entanglement in the same way to my understanding. There is too much 'interference' in macroscopic objects with the varying kinds of particles which constitute our body and environment, so particles decohere into isolated particle/waves.

9. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I think it's fizzically impossible even if given an eternal night of science.

10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

how many orders of magnitude more complicated would it be to teleport say 10^20 particles and have all of them arrive in the same state versus single particles?

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I believe we are nothing more than our bodies and our memories contained in those bodies, while we live.

So if the brain structure is duplicated accurately so that the memories are accurately retained, or transmitted along with the body....sure.

Assuming that memories are stored in the brain.

1 person likes this.
  12. AceK

what i have gathered from the literature is that memories are stored as structural changes in the brain. long term potentiation is one mechanism where feedback through a system becomes amplified the more it is "accessed" .. it's all quite complex and fascinating really.

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I am not this mind.

14. AceK

^ you're the mind that is aware of it.

15. AceK

16. AceK

kinda like information sent over a wire in a computer system, your always dealing with a a copy, to move a chunk of data you have to copy it to a new location.

17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Are we more than a big chunk of info? Some scientists say all that exists in this reality is merely information about its nature (much of it reduced to mathematical formulae).

Some believe that if we could create a machine big enough, with enough power to run it, it could contain all the information from this universe.

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That would be an interesting way to determine if there is a soul. I can picture it as some dark sci-fi horror story. The first volunteers get teleported through the "portal", only the reappear with dead, vapid eyes on the other side. Alive, but unable to do anything that does not involve the body and very basic brain function.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Not necessarily, as BlackBillBlake alluded to many who ascribe to the notion of a 'soul' believe it is immaterial and eternal.

1 person likes this.
  20. AceK

that is reductionism, it is possible that consciousness emerges from integrated information systems where the information represented CANNOT be reduced in this way as if it was a composite of states...and consciousness emerges from this system. of course though it *is* still just information. its possible that the configuration of fundamental fields (such as electromagnetic) within highly integrated systems of neurons or logic gates gives rise to consciousness, at least this is what i gather from what ive read on the phenomology of consciousness. it seems that it wouldnt necessarily be constrained to electromagnetic fields either, or integrated systems resembling anything (or having a type of consiousness resembling anything) that we humans can necessarily relate too as being similar to our own experience.

not sure at all what the implications of the above might be. ... but it'll be interesting to see how far these fields (of study) can get and what will happen when the computer science PhDs get up to speed on this .. we might actually see intelligent machines like Data from star trek next gen.