• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo

• PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted April 30 2015 - 02:28 PM

any other permaculturists out there?   

The problem with society is that fools and fanatics are too sure of themselves while the wise are plagued by self doubt.- Bertrand Russel
"Save a Volkswagen.Ride a Hippie!"

War is the sum of all Evil.- Stonewall Jackson

#2 FireWitch

FireWitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted August 03 2015 - 10:43 AM

No, but I find the subject fascinating.

• ElEyeJaw likes this

#3 Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted August 10 2015 - 09:03 AM

I do semi-perma.   The berries and the asparagus are perma.   The green beans, tomatoes and corn are not.   However, I rotate crops and add trace minerals and organic compost each season.  

If I could get weed management down to a better science, I could avoid the shallow tilling that we have to do.   I've tried cardboard topped with aged straw, and anything I can think of that doesn't involve chemicals.  

So far, no luck.   I don't mind some weeds because very often any insect pest that our beneficials don't take care of will get attracted to early weeds and leave my plantings alone.   I'll leave any clover that shows up, too, for the bees.   But we have some varieties of weeds  growing in these mountains that get taller than me and no bugs are eating them!  Those get tilled under quickly.

Like I usually say.. maybe next season I'll get it figured out.

#4 farmerdon

farmerdon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Locationarkansas

Posted August 10 2015 - 10:57 PM

I pull weeds that are small before they go to seed. big weeds get burned, that way there is no seed to start them up again

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company