Baltimore Riots

Discussion in 'People' started by AstralBear, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Actually the reaction to the charges being filed has so far been good in the streets of Baltimore.

That's all it takes, charge the cops. If they're innocent, at least everyone will know why once all the evidence is made public.

The rush to judgement on the part of cops and the public is wrong, as is the leaking of theories by the police.

Looks like two investigations are coming up with two different conclusions...

With so much video evidence these days, charges can be brought much quicker than before.

But still enough time has passed for police to fabricate stories and eliminate evidence of any police wrongdoings, as usual.

2. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Do you think police lie more than petty criminals?

Listen to the guy with the bag who got caught by the cops denying it was him as he's caught red handed. "It wasn't me!" "It's not me!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2Ibw7wrvs&index=1&list=PLh6JwyMVbfEPyFk31gbskno4zlPnctcIj

Or watch this reporter get knocked out because he's white. Now listen to the crowd go wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y7pYniWRhg&list=PLh6JwyMVbfEPyFk31gbskno4zlPnctcIj&index=4

3. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I'm serious when I propose this as a possible solution;

Should we have segregated police forces? How much must it fucking suck to be a white officer dealing with a black suspect. You're always on the brink of being called racist, and you're assumed racist to begin with. I think Baltimore's police are like 52% black already, but... should black perps be able to choose to deal with a black officer to remove any feelings oppression? Wouldn't that help alleviate these perceptions or misperceptions?

4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

At first, when there was no thread on this, I thought okay, people are tired of rehashing the same old points about the same old problems, when nothing ever changes. But... this case is a little different, and it's getting more different by the hour.

For starters, this suspect had committed no crime. Not even a parking violation. Okay, when you run from the police, they're going to chase you down and check your ID, because they can't know the face of everyone in America who is wanted for a crime. Too many people on the wanted list. But... once they check the database and find that you aren't on it, they have to let you go.

Second, the real violence and looting and property damage was started by students, not adults. All hell broke loose that day after school let out at 3:00. CNN couldn't find a single black adult leader who wasn't opposed to the destruction. I understand that most parents were working between 3:00 and 5:00, but what about at 9:00?

Another problem with Baltimore is that unlike New York City and the Saint Louis metro area, Baltimore has a horrible reputation for crime, poverty, unemployment, racial violence, and general hopelessness. Of all the major Northeastern cities, it has the least to offer, even to a tourist. The Inner Harbor area is interesting, but you can cover it in a day. The rest is shit. If you can fix Baltimore, you can fix anything, anywhere.

Last and definitely not least, this city has somebody in a position of authority who isn't afraid to let a jury rule on the actions of police officers. It's about time.

You don't get the death penalty for that.

Maybe you can persuade your local police to randomly murder some white people, so you can judge them on the content of their character.

You are so missing the main point.

That was the big mistake made in New York and Ferguson. The people don't want these cases decided by prosecutors and grand juries, behind closed doors. Too much at stake.

To be the youngest person in her job in any major American city, this prosecutor really has a lot of balls! She knows how to get in touch with her inner "angry black woman" when she needs to. :cheers2:

She reminds me of the mother in the video who wasn't going to let her teenage son participate with the violent looting gangs, no matter what it took to stop him. We need more fearless parents in these tough neighborhoods!

Depends on the location. New Orleans? Without a doubt. They are the worst people in town. Baltimore? Maybe.

1 person likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I listened to an interesting interview with some young black men from Baltimore the other day who stated they do not believe this was racially motivated because Baltimore isn't Ferguson - but they do believe this case still underscores a growing trend towards police brutality in America.

so if you want to say this isn't about race, that's fair. But if you want to deny the systemic racism black people face every day, all over the country from police and our justice system you're just being willfully ignorant.

6. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

fixed

The fact is, from Great Britain to the US to Australia to Japan, black people are always more at risk to commit violent acts and petty crimes than Hispanics, who are more likely than white people who are more likely than Northeast Asians.

Remember these persistent patterns:
    East Asians - 4 twins per 1,000 births, average age when first walking ~13 months
    Europeans - 8 twins per 1,000 births, average age when first walking ~12 months
    Africans - 16 twins per 1,000 births, average age when first walking ~11 months

the same pattern rears its head in the way of gestation periods, age of crawling, onset of puberty, testosterone levels, bone density, and brain size.

7. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Karen, Meli, what do you think about black perps having the option to deal only with black officers? It's clear we'll continually see charges of racism as long as light people are obligated to arrest dark people. Northerners from the last glacial period are dealing with Southerners from the last glacial period.

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

This doesn't really make it better. Any way you look at it, the police are out of control. I think we can agree on this.

OMG, it's TWINS!!! :yikes: [​IMG] Where can I find a big, muscular white man who can save me? [​IMG]

We need police officers who follow the law, in terms of who can be arrested, and how they can be immobilized and detained.

Black officers claim that they are treated worse by black thugs and bystanders than white officers, often being accused of being "sellouts" and "Uncle Toms".

Body cameras for police are the logical next step. People who aren't violating the law have nothing to fear from them. If you are doing the right thing, video helps prove it.

2 people like this.
  9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yeah, that would be nice, that way we could go back to ignoring our country's descent into a complete and total police state, because everybody will only brutalize their own race.

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

How about instead of only seeing the race issue, we worry about the fact that these are the police in the US, and they're acting like secret police under dictators - they torture people (what else could you call driving in such a way that they actually die in more than one case, and that many others are injured).

It's not just that the police keep murdering or torturing or maiming black people, it's that they keep doing it to people, period. That is why people riot - people are being wronged, and nobody has any interest in fixing the situation - either people riot, or nothing at all will happen. Condemn the rioters when you do something positive about the situation, or even something negative that calls attention to it. If peaceful protest doesn't work, people will use violent means, they can't be expected to simply take that situation because nobody feels like fixing it.

Who you torture and kill isn't the point - only having your bloody militarized thugs come for poor people is not any more okay - and if it's okay with you, remember that it always starts with the other, but never stays that way.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I am worried about the proceeding police state. Guess what? Violent riots are what will usher it in. Could that be any more obvious? We have a population with an average IQ of 85, who definitely, definitely doesn't get it. They engage in mob violence. Even in the best of times, they play the kockout game for fun.

No one is being purposefully killed to my mind. Hands up, don't shoot was GIANT crock of shit. All of you seem to assume heroin dealer Freddie was an innocent butterfly who was murdered by evil police. I think it's entirely plausible that he was injured during his sprint from police, and perhaps even inflicted some punishment on himself for potential monetary compensation. I'm actually totally fine with these officers being charged. I want all the evidence to be out in public. I think some of the higher ups actually want to riots and delay the release of information purposefully.

What is it you guys think really happened? Do you think he was literally tortured and beaten by police behind closed doors? Or do you think that the van ride did all the damage?? Imagine for a moment someone driving that big ass van was trying their damndest to hurt you which sounds silly. How much damage do you really think could be inflicted? Even if you go in after an MMA match where you got your ass whooped, is the van ride really a scary prospect? I would laugh if someone tried to hurt me with a rough van ride.

Do any of you who bought the Mike Brown li(n)e, "hands up! Don't shoot!" feel gullable? Do you realize what a blatant lie it turned out to be from a no snitch culture?

12. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

I love how much this has been covered. I love how other cities are trying to join in. I love that charges were filed, and I loved how they were announced. Say what you want about the violence. The violence in my opinion is a side effect of greater stresses that this community and all lower class citizens face with a graceful step. Most of them have been peaceful. Its been noted both in Ferguson AND Baltimore that quite a few of the rioting looters are from out of state. They hear about unrest and drive to these locations to break things.

They may have been charged, but we need to follow this thing through to the end and after. This needs to not just be a Baltimore thing. This needs to be a countrywide thing. Police abuse happens EVERYWHERE. False imprisonment happens EVERYWHERE. Disproportionate charges, fees, and incarceration are a NATIONWIDE problem. Look at what Arpaio is doing here in Arizona. Look at how many of the people our local 'posse' locks up are 'minorities'. Think about how many officers get that extra punch in. Or pump a few extra jolts into the 'perp' because he wouldn't just get on the ground. We are people, not their workplace stress relief. I don't care what the person is charged with.

This needs to be the beginning of many things to come. People shouldn't wait until another of their locals is murdered to give enough fucks to act.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Cops guilty! Celebration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmaYj0VMZw

OJ innocent! Celebration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsnuhz-Kb7k

14. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

I think that this issue should ease away from its purely racial affiliations. This issue spans all races. Police brutality and overall unjust ethics is the issue here. I'm not saying that it isn't a colored issue. I feel as though its definitely not just black and white though. We need to make sure that the reform is all inclusive. Immigrants shouldn't be left from the discussion either.

Maybe we should pull some ideas from FDR and institute a new bill of rights. Could throw some other much needed items in along with the obvious ones. Just a thought.

15. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

cops should have body cams, and the insides of their cars/vans should be recorded as well.

body cams and video evidence would prevent this from happening in the future.

1 person likes this.
  16. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

hopefully floyd mayweather doesnt lose to pac man tommorwo or some people will scream racism

1 person likes this.
  17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

So just prolong everyone noticing that we have a violent police state, because if we riot now it will be obvious sooner? Sounds like a shit approach, I want to fix things - that means push back as hard as possible as fast as possible, before it's too late.

It has nothing to do with what anyone thinks of the murder victim. Stop trying to weasel back to talking about who was murdered, that does not excuse anything at all.

Other people have died and been quite injured in these van rides - sounds like torture. You can laugh all you want about any van ride you want, but that doesn't change the reality of it. Laughing off the illegal violence and misbehavior of the police is some pretty serious shit, check yourself.

That no snitch culture is a result of necessity. You can't beat people until their behavior gets better, but you can beat them until they revolt - if you don't like what they're doing now, best fix what you're doing (yes, you, with the unhelpful and despicable position you're taking and arguing for), because it's going to get a lot worse if the causes are not fixed.

2 people like this.
  18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It was just announced that 3 of the 6 officers charged today are black, so that should shift the focus in this case squarely to police brutality, and away from racism.

5 people like this.
  19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't have anything to add to this thread that hasn't already been said--but there has been some good discussion here, and I enjoyed reading it.

1 person likes this.
  20. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

lets ask ourselves, is it possible to get hurt in the back of a van, while your hands are cuffed and you are not wearing a seat belt?

yes stupid! yes........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.